1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA vs IDE

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hamant, May 27, 2005.

1. hamant

hamant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just getting round to finishing my HTPC now. But i just need to get a new HD for it. I've been running a 40gb Quantum Fireball, but obviously need something a lot bigger. I've decided to go for a Samsung Spinpoint 250GB for the low noise factor, but I'm not sure wether to go for the SATA version or the IDE. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2. I've heards SATA is mainly more beneficial when the PC is writing to the harddisk. I'd imagine this would help when dumping a MPG2 stream from a DVB card to the HD. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks for you help.

-H

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    not sure about the writing aspect, but im pretty sure it is quicker, but i would go for sata anyway, IDE will die out, the cables are so much smaller and take up less case space and will improve airflow round the case.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I think its quite handy to have your boot disc as an IDE rather than an sata. Saves messing about with additional drivers if you do a clean install. Depends if your primary IDE is on a controller that windows can provide its own driver for though...I'd be surprised if a motherboard from the last 3 years didn't though.

4. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to xp not having most sata controllers by default, you will need to use a floppy each build or use imaging.

IDE wont die out for a long time due to legacy systems. I am sure someone will know, but I think SATA runs at about 150mb so not much more than ATA133 (although I think in raid configurations reads are significantly quicker).

SATA drives are jumperless and provide easier cabling.

5. hamant

hamant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point about the IDE/Bootdrive issue. This build has already gone on long enough without me messing about with drivers for SATA drives. What I might do is got for an 200gb IDE boot drive and a 200gb SATA secondary drive. That way I can get some of the speed benefits of the faster drive when recording/watching TV and have a nice easy setup.

Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung HD's?

6. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. rockhard

rockhard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Seagate baracudas are great and quiet so is the MAXTOR diamondmax which I use a SATA 16mb 7200 spin 250GB for my cable box to double my HDTV recording storage space ...

I went with the MAXTOR beacause it has the spin down feature when not in use ...

8. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Yes, the SATA one are near enough silent, consensus seems to be quieter than the SATA seagates but I believe the opposite is true for IDE.

As for the boot issue, this is not really a a huge issue. Basically if you are installing XP, all you need to do is press something like F6 at the start and then put in the floppy disk. This adds about 2 mins to install time so no real issues.

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Having had both, i first had sata and now i have ide. The ide has been totally stable where as the sata was not and the boot issue is a good issue and does make life far easier, especially if you have to mess around with a windows repair, which lets face it at some point you will have to :D , i had to on my sata.
    You can also get thin ide leads, although not as thin and compact as the sata leads.

Now i may have just had a faulty sata hard disk, it was a seagate hd as well, which has tainted my opinion on sata but at this moment my preference is definitely ide.

10. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Depends on the mobo, NForce4 mobos don't need drivers for WinXP unless you need RAID on SATA. Only stability problem I've had is that NVidias IDE drivers are appalling and were causing paging faults every boot up, swapped them for standard ones and no more pagin faults!

Oh yeah you can't do 3Gbps with IDE ;) The cable size aspect is very true, you get a much roomier case without those horrible round cables everywhere. I've had SATA for the past 2 years with zero problems, right from an NForce2 mobo which is now the HTPC and now an Nforce4 mobo which is my main machine. Samsungs in the HTPC and Hitachi/Maxtor in the main machine.

11. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the choice of one or the other go SATA, IDE will not get any faster, whereas SATA will support much faster speeds once hard drives get quicker,

As well as that you get (like was said above) thinner cables for better airflow, no jumpers to set (better for the novice)

I use a SATA Seagate 200GB and never had any problems

12. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    SATA - Ive never had a problem with the 4 Samsungs I have. As for boot, it take less than a minute to put the floppy disk in during the XP build.

SATA hasnt really set the world alight but SATA2 has - 3gbps

13. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Which is a real pain when you deliberately don't have a floppy drive on your machine.

14. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    OK 2 mins. Still gets me everytime, install os, insert floppy............, turn off machine, find floppy in cupboard, plug in floppy, turn on, install os, insert floppy, ....

I have thought about getting a USB floppy but I am not sure what supprt for these is like as regars booting etc.

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    SATA2 will only set the world alight in theory as no drives are quick enough to take advantage of the increased bandwidth as far as I know. The bottleneck is in the drive technology rather than the interface.

16. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    SATA2 in RAID 0 in general flies from the reviews I've seen, even compared to a SATA2 drive in SATA1 mode. It's in bursts that it really is twice as fast but in general use it's just a little faster.