SATA & SATA2 Compatibility

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Miller, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Miller

Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to have to replace my sata hd on my old pc, it makes that horrible clanking sound every now & then, shutsdown and reboots

When buying one do I have to make sure I don't get a sata 2 hdd, or are they backward compatibile? My old mb only supports sata, I know I won't be able to use the extra speed etc, but will sata 2 hdd's work with my mb?

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Yes, SataII drives work on SATA, there is usually a jumper on the hard drive to set it to either the faster SATAII 3gb/S or SATA 1.50GB/s.

But to make sure, taken from Wikipedia

3. Miller

Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since posted I found a forum that suggested that SATA II is backward compatibile so I ordered a new SATA Samsung HD from Scan, marked as 300, which I believe is another term for SATA II.

I've just tried to turn on my pc and it froze at the XP black screen, with fore mentioned clanking noise. I did a reboot, but this time it couldn't find the hd and came up with an error 'NTLDR missing'. My research tells me this is either to do with a corrupted XP or missing part of the booty type area!

Do you think it's my hd going u/s or something to do with a corrupted OS?

4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Is this new drive you have just bought intended to be a slave to an already present drive or are you wanting this as your sole master windows system drive.

If its the latter have you actually went through the full format and windows installation onto the new drive.

If so did this all go through alright?. As you may need to have the drivers for your system to recognise the drive (I believe you install them via pressing F6 during the windows installation).

The NTLDR problem is one I had just last month, it states on the internet there are numerous reasons for it.

I tried them all, and none removed it. You can get past this error via having either a boot floppy inside your floppy or by having the windows installation CD inside your CD drive (and having this as your first boot device). But then not pressing a key when it states press any key to boot from CD.

I eventually fixed the NTLDR error by flashing my bios to the latest version.

However it seems likely for this case that it is a problem that your system is not recognizing where windows installation is.

5. Miller

Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. From the noise the thing is making (now & then), I think it might be the call of death for my old hd, this is the first time I've seen this error message. So I thought about doing a fresh install of XP on my new hd when it comes, and keep the old one as storage, until it packs up completely.

But here lies the rub. My XP software is an upgrade and I can't find my old full licence 98se to allow the XP upgrade to install :suicide:. Will I be able t do it somehow without the original?

6. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    When you buy a windows OS on CD all you are really paying for is the licence code nothing more.

If your PC was 98 based the serial number for this should be on a sticker on the back of your PC case.

If you have bought the licence for upgrading to XP then you could just look around the internet for either the windows 98 installation CD or a full Windows Home DOS installation CD and use your bought licence codes to make them genuine.

If you do find your 98 CD here is the method to install XP straight away from DOS using only an upgrade CD.

7. Miller

Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, I remember chucking out my old 98 cd ages ago, can't think why I did that! My pc is one I built in the last couple of years, so no sticker either. Looks like I'll have to either find a cheap copy of W98 or buy a full fat version of XP or Vista. Dam hd is doing that clanking sound again, time to shut down I think!

8. happhhitachi

happhhitachi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    From experience:

The upgrade XP disk will accept a Win 98 upgrade disk as being an eligible product from which you can upgrade.

If you go this route stsrt the install from the XP disk it will ask to 'see' the previous Win disk just swap the CD's as instructed. It wont install anything from the Win 95/98/ME disks its just checking that you have media from that OS. Once you swap the XP didk back into the drive it installs the whole of XP from the upgrade disk.

I reccemmend doing the install this way it avoids any hangover from the previous OS and gives a clean install.

The Vista upgrade process is different - the machine MUST have a copy of a previous product installed.

Have fun hope it goes well.