• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

SATA HDD Installation On IDE Connector

J80FAB

I'm contemplating upgrading my Dell Dimension 8300 desktop's internal hard drive(s) from the original IDE HDD to a SATA HDD.

The MOBO in this PC only has 2 SATA connectors - system was bought in May 2004.

I did a recent DVD drive update and replaced both original system DVD IDE drives with two new ones - SATA Pioneer labelflash & SATA Sony lightscribe drive which have taken up the primary & secondary SATA connections.

I've seen these SATA to IDE converters knocking about on the internet & was thinking of going for one of those in order to connect a SATA HDD to the IDE on the MOBO.

Unfortunately the IDE connectors on the MOBO are totally obstructed when the tower case is closed, so you can't connect a SATA to IDE converter directly into the IDE slot.

I was wanting to ask is it possible to plug one of these converters in on the original HDD IDE ribbon cable thus making an 'extension' which would enable the converter to be situated elsewhere in the desktop tower.

Was looking at this converter in particular :

Bi-Directional IDE / SATA Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Though I gather from comments about other converters that some of them don't provide the 'boot' facility for a HDD drive with the OS.

Thanks

stay-beautiful

Standard Member
I would avoid the risk of having it not working using an IDE cable - the data transfer rate is slower anyway.
If you want to expand hard drive space I would recommend either
A) external so that you can move it easier when you purchase a new PC
B) a Sata 1.5TB Sata HDD - just disconnect one of the optical drives

J80FAB

My sentiments exactly about the risk of it not working with the IDE cable, but there are these adapters around if you find yourself in my situation, and that's run off a ribbon cable :

IDE to SATA & SATA to IDE Bi-Directional Adapter.: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I'm at fault for not having thought about the DVD drive upgrade with a clear head. I should have gone for 2 IDE replacement DVD drives with the lightscribe & labelflash functionality, then the 2 SATA ports on the MOBO would have been free for HDDs which seems a more sensible & straightforward solution. I'm reluctant to disconnect one of the DVD drives now because they are new.

I guess there is another possibility and that would be a SATA slot in PCI card. I could then connect one DVD drive to the SATA PCI card & a secondary SATA HDD for data storage/backup if I wanted. That would leave the two SATA connectors on the MOBO free for 1 DVD drive & 1 primary HDD which would let these two be recognised as bootable devices which I don't think is possible via a SATA PCI card.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom