1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sata / eide hard drives????

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by cyclops12, May 29, 2004.

1. cyclops12

cyclops12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello every1 hope u can help.first offf whats the difference between sata+eide hard drives?? 2nd can i have both in 1 system using the sata drive as the master+the eide as the slave (both are 120 gig)
    any feedback would be appreceated

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Hi Cyclops,

in real world terms there isn't much of a difference, or should I say much of an advantage, with one versus the other..

SATA are technically faster, and you can host more drives in one PC without having to add extra PCi cards.. but that's about it really

you can happily use 3x 250 gig IDE drives, and still have a DVD/CDrW etc, so the advantage of SATA is virtually non existent for a home PC.

EIDE drives are so fast these days, that even SCSI is really just overkill for anything but professional data users.

If I was you, I'd spend your cash on a larger EIDE drive, Seagate do a 200gig
    EIDE drive for £99 these days, it's silent and has top notch spec.
    at 50p per Gig thats almost as cheap as buying CDR's !

I've got 3 of them in my HTPC, and haven't had a glitch with any of them so far ( 6mths, 458 gig data so far )

3. cyclops12

cyclops12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot dude i think ill go down the route that u suggest thanks again!! :smashin:

4. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I use sata drives, and i would not to back to ide, sata faster, quieter, run cooler as they take less power. & they seem far more reliable to me. yes u can ide & sata together.
    ps u need to have a Mother board that takes sata or a sata pci card.

5. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    absalutely worth it for your OS, if your mobo supports it.
    Get a nice n cheap Raptor 10,000rpm :cool: and start to see the benefits of your expensive processor and memory.
    I use one for my OS, programme files and games plus an initial location for recorded TV or ripped I mean backed up :nono: DVDs.
    Then move the files onto a cheaper a disk later. But your looking at nearer £2.50 a gig for that sort of performance :eek: