Sata Drivers For New Build.

bigjb

Distinguished Member
Planning on building a new PC in the next week hopefully.I last built one when agp graphics cards were in fashion so h/drive and dvd drive were pata ide connections so i have never used sata before.

I have being doing some research and sata drivers keep being mentioned.Mostly the advice is transfer the drivers from the mobo cd onto a floppy.I only have access to a laptop with no floppy so is there another method to get the sata drivers across if indeed this is still a requirement.The PC will be a dual boot Vista(decided to give it a try) and linux.

I have not fully decided on the mobo but an Asus is the favourite at the moment(incase it makes a difference).

jetinder

Mostly the advice is transfer the drivers from the mobo cd onto a floppy.

You don't need to do that, you can set the BIOS so it boots from the CD drive and use the MOBO CD.

After you've built the PC and plugged it all in, your motherboard will be able to see the SATA Hard drives on power up so you don't need any SATA or IDE drivers.

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I have being doing some research and sata drivers keep being mentioned.Mostly the advice is transfer the drivers from the mobo cd onto a floppy

You must have been reading some old information from a couple of years ago, as jetinder says all modern MB's have sata drivers built in and also raid in most cases.

Blitzmage

I also beleive that windows comes with automatically installing sata drivers ever since windows xp sp2 discs.

Paul Shirley

says all modern MB's have sata drivers built in and also raid in most cases.
The problem is not mboard support for SATA, its the OS sitting above it! A mboard will quite happily boot from a wide variety of hardware (IDE,SATA,USB,network and more) but the OS or installer will then fall over immediately if it can't talk to the boot device or install target - hence the need for drivers for the OS and OS installer. RAID is a little different, its reasonable for a mboard to present an array as a single drive and some chipsets did that, others needed Windows drivers to boot.

This applied to older versions of XP before SP2, shouldn't be a problem with Vista, it has built in SATA drivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom