1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA drive causing interference with DigiTV card

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wyerd, Jul 2, 2004.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I’ve just rebuilt my HCPC system using the following components:-

Mobo Abit AN7 SATA, µGuru nForce2 Ultra400/MCP2-T
    Case Accent HT-400S
    Graphics Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT Ultimate 128MB
    Hard Disk Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 160Gig
    CPU AMD Athlon Barton XP3200+ 400FSB - OEM
    Memory GeIL 512MB (2x256MB) PC3200 Golden Dragon CAS2
    CPU Cooler Samurai P4/AMD XP/AMD 64
    Case Fan Zalman ZM-F1 Ultra-Quiet Case Fan
    PSU SilenX 400w <14dBA Pro iXtrema PSU
    Dlink DWL-G520 54g wireless network card
    Nebula DigiTV card

When I record to the drive I get interference lines every time the drive is accessed. If I to a defrag, I can’t make out the image on the screen the interference is so bad!

Has anyone else come across this problem and how do I solve it? Is it a faulty drive as this sort of RF interference shouldn’t happen with a CE marked device?

Cheers,
    David.

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gotta bring bad news, I'm afraid!

It's the SATA! :mad:

I recently bought the DigiTV and found out on the day of the card's arrival :suicide: that the on-board SATA shares the PCI bus and sucks the life out of the bandwidth... er... technically speaking :laugh:

Since the installation, I've tried changing all the background numbers (PCI latency settings for each piece of hardware), with only a little improvement. It's the darn SATA, I tells ya (confirmed with user findings on other forums)!

Running a dual-boot system, I also have an old IDE drive within the deep, dark boxen (mmm, Sonata...). I can record the Freeview signal mostly intact, if I use this drive. Mostly intact? Well, aside from the v3.11 software instability and 'up n down' of the Freeview signal, whenever the SATA drive decides that it wants some action (and it does decide! [/scared n' paranoid]), there is signal dropout and the potential for Yet Another Crash™.

The only solutions to this issue appear to be to use an Intel motherboard - er, not with an Athlon, of course! - which has a 'proper' SATA implementation or to return the card and try the external DigiTV. Oh yeah, or switch to IDE drives :rolleyes:

Though I'm currently undecided, the external box seems to be the easiest solution - unless you like OS installs!

Sorry about that, wyerd; but better you know, right?

I'll be interested to hear what action you take and how things progress. Good luck! :)

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had strange problems with the record feature in Nebula. I fixed it by shuffling around the pci cards i.e. changing which interrupts are shared.

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Great!!!..................... Thanks for the info Andy.

Looks like I'll have to go back to parallel ATA :thumbsdow unless changing the interrupts helps, but as it "sucks the bandwidth from the PCI bus" (great technical description!), I can't see that resolving it.

Cheers,
    David.

5. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Which motherboard do you have BBD?

6. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    wyerd- I have an Asus A7V8X. I NOT using any SATA drives so my DigiTV card is sat in slot 3. Slot 3 shares an IRQ with the on board SATA and 1394 so not a good choice for you setup if you happen to have the same board.

edit Just looked at this thread again and noticed that you are not using the same mb. It is still worth checking how the IRQs are allocated.

7. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Completely new to this (apart from spending a while reading various threads). I'm looking to build an HCPC, but threads like this make me nervous. Can someone clarify this issue on the SATA drives? Is it only an issue with AMD motherboards and not with Intel (Pentium) MoBos?
    Having been looking into specs of components, I'd thought SATA would be the logical step to take (future proof) and had pretty much decided on Intel MoBo (no particular reason), but this thread has set alarm bells ringing!

Aprreciate any clarification,
    Ed.

8. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    So it's not just me then! I'm using a newish 160gb seagate drive, which my old Asus A7A motherboard seems to report as a scsi drive, even though it's IDE. I get the same Nebula interference, whenever I record. I found one work-around which was to stream across the network to another PC, and record there. I may try swapping PCI cards and IDE channels, but I'm not hopeful. For me, the interference isn't too bad, just annoying. I don't want to put my old drive back because it's noisy. Ho-hum.