• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sata Disks Explain Convention Plse

cjb

Standard Member
Hi,:thumbsup:
I have just got a new PC with just 1 SATA drive, no IDE option at all looking at the MBD.
I have never used these things b4. From looking on the net I gather you can connect any number of drives and they all get treated as masters.
So, when I soon get another drive, does it matter which plug I use, how do these get identified by drive letter, does any one have a PRIME BOOT identity or otherwise if you have 2 drives with OS, which one is told to boot?
I also seem to have a rear mounted SATA socket.. is this for any other use than connecting as you would a USB drive and can I plug in another OS drive and boot from that, saving a dual boot situation on one drive ?
Sorry to be so dim... thought I knew about PC's.:confused:

MarkE19

On my new MoBo (Asus P5KC) I have 2 HDD's and 2 DVDRW's connected via SATA. In the BIOS I set the boot order for any of these devices. The BIOS works through the list until it gets to the first bootable device and then loads the OS from that one. At POST I can press F8 and select the device I want to boot from on this particular occassion.
The MoBo also has an eSATA connector for external SATA drives similar (as you say) to firewire/USB external drives. It can also be used to configure Raid drives - RTFM to see what your MoBo can be set to do.
When you create the partition to install Windows to you can assign the drive letter at this point, or it will automatically assign C: for the first partition.

Mark.

cjb

Standard Member
OK Mark, thanks.. .
I suppose it will be clearer when I actually try it.

I am not having much luck with my first encounter with Vista.
Having eventually got a wireless network running I downloaded 18 updates, but every time I install them the PC either hangs during install or refuses to power down. causing me to crash stop...3 times now.
I think I may well install XP on another drive and boot as required.:rolleyes:

MarkE19

I think I may well install XP on another drive and boot as required.:rolleyes:
If the HDD is over 137Gb then you are gonna have fun getting XP to install - I know cos I'm trying to do it on my 500Gb SATA drive :mad:

I would guess that the files will copy to the drive, PC reboots and then gives you the following message: Error loading operating system
The PC then just stops dead and you get no further. If it does do this then have a look Here for details on how to get around this problem - hopefully :devil:

Mark.

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
my vista sometimes randomly refuses to shutdown. It just hangs on "shutting down". Though I've only left it like 5mins it might shut down eventually I suppose

cjb

Standard Member
Ooooh.. wot a way to spend New Years day.
If I did get a biggun, I would probably split it into smaller partitions, unless you mean it just doesn't do big drives at all.
Comes back to my original thoughts about keeping things small and manageable.. except it doesn't work on wives.:thumbsdow

Incidentally, I just tried AGAIN to download these updates and came to the conclusion I was being impatient.. it takes at least 30 minutes to install the first 11.. then it hangs :suicide::suicide::suicide:

MarkE19

If I did get a biggun, I would probably split it into smaller partitions, unless you mean it just doesn't do big drives at all.
I'm not sure if this would work as the BIOS will still see it as 1 big HDD. I've yet to try it though. I will set the XP partition to say 120Gb and the rest for my Vista partition. I hope this works as the Asus support have not got back to me in about 4 days (I don't care if it's new year, I want an answer now :devil:).

Mark.

cjb

Standard Member
I'm not sure if this would work as the BIOS will still see it as 1 big HDD. I've yet to try it though. I will set the XP partition to say 120Gb and the rest for my Vista partition. I hope this works as the Asus support have not got back to me in about 4 days (I don't care if it's new year, I want an answer now :devil:).

Mark.

Mark, I am sure you are more than capable of solving this, but...
I keyed in a quick search on Google for 'installing XP on large drives' and one of the replies was this... hope it helps
http://ntcompatible.com/Installing_Windows_XP_to_a_large_SATA_Hard_Drive_t31353.html

Just discovered they screwed up system restore on vista as well, so I shall be installing XP VERY SOON NOW.. but on a 80GB disk ..small enough to be big enough... as the Bishop said to the actress..

Bill_hugh

Standard Member
my vista sometimes randomly refuses to shutdown. It just hangs on "shutting down". Though I've only left it like 5mins it might shut down eventually I suppose

If Vista is slow shutting down try having a look to see if you can see the cause.

Go to Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Performance Information and Tools -> Advanced Tools

Sometimes you will see performance issues already found by Vista listed here. By clicking on each of these issues Vista might tell you what caused the issue.

If there are no Performance issues listed then click on the "View performance details in Event Log" option (you will need to elevate).
The Event Log viewer should open on the correct log, but if not just click down through this hierarchy in the left pane as follows.
Event Viewer (Local)->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Diagnostics-Performance->Operational

When you see this log in the right pane, look for events with the Task Category = Shutdown Performance Monitoring.
You might find what is causing the delay in shutting down.

Good luck,

Bill

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom