sat - sub setup..really any good?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bertha, Mar 6, 2002.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    hello all - I'll be moving into a newly built house end of next month..and already the missus is putting shots across my bow with regards the size of the telly "I don't want that big brute in my new house - I want a nice silver one".."You're not going to still have those big ugly speakers are you.."and so on..

I currently have an oldish pair of Sony 176E floorstanders, a Tannoy MC centre & a pair of cheapish Celestions on the rear..as you can appreciate this has been cobbled together by fate rather than desire..but they seem to work well together to my innocent ears..to make things worse, everywhere that I would like to position my speakers in the livingroom seems to have a bloomin radiator next to it..modern houses just aren't built for home cinema enthusiasts!

So to my question...are sub sat systems any good..(I have a paradigm sub at present) but I would consider shelling out up to £600 for a new system..any recommendations/sympathy ppreciated..

Cheers

Berth

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about looking at the kef eggs , they have been getting good reviews here and are small enough to please the missus.
    A little more than your budget, but as they look very sexy i bet the missus will help with the shortfall.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I auditioned a pair of Sony floorstanders about seven years ago when they were all the rage and if these are the same model they are good speakers. I doubt whether you will find sub / sats at £600 that are as good as the Sony's coupled with a Paradigm sub.

Your weak link is the centre speaker, which whilst a capable centre speaker will not match the Sony's tonally.

Persuade the wife to keep the speakers and spend the money on a matching centre speaker (if you can find one) and a decent pair of rear speakers.

4. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Yup...I reckon I've had these about 7 years or so..& I think they are pretty good speakers but my previous comparison was with the set that came with an Aiwa midi system..so I'm not a reliable critic - I looked into getting a Sony centre a while ago but couldn't find any info on a decent one, hence the Tannoy..

I checked out the Eggs and they do look exactly like the kind of thing my wife would love..but what do they sound like..?
    Do you they think they would have enough grunt in them for say Armageddon or something like that?
    Also do you think it'd be worth keeping the paradigm as well as the Kef sub..currently the paradigm is hidden under a trusty Ikea coffee table & therefore avoids any wrath from you know who...which I could probably keep hidden & distract her with the shiny silver one..

I have to admit I'm very sceptical about sub/sat systems but like I say I don't have too much to compare it to..
    cheers

Berth:)

5. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sub/sat as a design can be excellent.

M&K's complete range is sub/sat from K series through to the S150P and the S5000's. These are used in multi channel studios around the world for professional companies (Dolby, DTS and THX amongst their users) that rely on honest, accurate sound reproduction. Sub/sat done right can be fantastic for film and music. Other companies such as Genelec and Mackie also use sub/sat deign professionally. There are arguably less compromises with sub/sat than are generally made with conventional floor standers...........but that's a completely new thread!;)

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    pc is correct but biased as his firm sell sub / sat speakers. The M & K sets that he talks about are better than your current setup but well out of your price range.

The weak point with the KEF eggs is the sub woofer which is nowhere near as powerful as your Paradigm. KEF sell the eggs seperately so if you must go that route just buy the satellites and pair them with your existing subwoofer.

I have gone this route myself (not with KEF eggs though) and bought satellites but kept my REL sub. This was done as I didn't trust my two year old not to knock over the floorstanders but I am now thinking of going back to floorstanders for a more complete sound. I would happily stay with sats if I could afford the high end products but I can't and the most cost effective route to the all round quality that I want is with full range speakers plus a sub.

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever you buy, keep you sub. Another thing, with satelites you need a receiver with a variable crossover, in order to get decent sound... The Denon 2802 is the cheapest I know...

8. pc

pc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Don't necessarily agree with that. We always use 80Hz. It depends on whether the satellite can happily reach 80Hz. With satellites that can reach 80Hz, a fixed 80 Hz crossover is perfect.

If not you may find that the sub crossover will need to be adjustable but you can then run into the problem of the sub becoming directional.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Denon 3802 for christmass annd wanted a sub/satellites package.

As any expert will tell you, (and I am not one ;) ) you have to go to a proper shop and listen. That 's what I did.

I listen to Ruark Vita 100 (£1500) and egg KEF (£700)

I was impressed by the Ruark, but was expensive.

Then I asked to put B&W 600 on. The saleman said ok but if you get them no need for a sub. Didn't trust him, but why not.
    The package was
    LRC60
    601 s3
    600 s3

And the Ruark sounds very poor. Sound to high, and no bass.

I came home with the B&W for £700 :D

They are a bigger, but even my wife with a WAF very low (Women Acceptance Factor) agrees they are nice and sound very well.

So my advice is not to buy the B&W but to go to a shop and try a sub/sate and some "small" speakers. And to decide by yourself.

Julien

10. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Cheers Julien...your right .. I've been surfing like Keanu Reeves the past few days trying to find out anything I can & essentially I'm no further forward - I need to get out there & check a few out..I was mildly intrigued by the Mission NXT dudes - gimmick or potential purchase?

I would imagine they would be very bass light..but the ease of positioning & unobtrusiveness appeals (though only slightly)

cheers

Berth