1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat/Sub combos are rubbish

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Artie Fufkin, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Apart from the [dubious] aesthetic properties, why would anyone buy a pack of little sat speakers?

I myself have only a lowly setup of Celestion F-series [floorstanding fronts, centre and bookshelf rears] and Celestion sub [hardly expensive], but this is miles better than any sat system I have heard.

I don't wish to be arguementative, but is it the look over sound?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It does depend on what Sub/Sat combo you go for i have M&K sats with 2 subs and the sound is incredible and i have not heard better.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Lots of people quite simply don't have the space or indeed want floorstanders and other full size speakers particularly in a living room environment. I've currently got a full set of Gallo Micros and they sound pretty damn good - much as I'd love a set of floorstanders, I couldn't get them in the room.

John

4. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just because a speaker is large, does not make it a good speaker. Just because a speaker is small, it does not follow that it must be crap. It is far more complex than that...

I fear you may have started a very long thread here, so I'm off to the X360 threads :D

5. dvdchild

dvdchild

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    i also have M&K and it is far superior to anything i have used before ie Kef, Missions. Amazing large sound from such small cabinets.

They have superb clarity and neutral sound so you really do hear what the director intended.

B&W Mini Theatre with PV1 sounded also very good.

I suggest you have a listen

DVDCHILD

6. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    You've haven't been in a Bose shop immediately prior to writing this have you??? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    well, some poor bloke's are under the thumb and if their wife says no to floorstanders, then sat's it is...:)

8. n0s

n0s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Listen to some Focal.JMLab Sib XL sat`s with a decent sub and come back and repeat that or some tannoy arenas. Both will outperform many bookshelf and floor standing speakers for quality of sound.

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    If you listen to a pair of class leading bookshelf speakers, then some class leading satelite speakers, you'll think the satelites are poor.
    If you listen to a pair of class leading floor standers, then some class leading bookshelf speakers, you'll think the bookshelf speakers are poor.
    If you listen to a pair of class leading giant active speakers, then some class leading floorstanders, you'll think the floorstanders are poor.

Its all relative and most people have to make compromises for domestic harmony.
    However not all speakers or sub/sat systems are class leaders, and there's a quality overlap that you can take advantage of by choosing your purchase carefully.

I'd agree though, that getting a sub/sat system to compete with a decent set of monster speakers doesn't wash with me.
    But that doesn't mean they're all pants, some are remarkably good.

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think that a properly set up sub/sat system has the potential to sound better than any conventional arrangement. I havn't heard that sub/sat system yet though. :)

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You haven't heard mine then :D