sat/sat+ cable?

B

bobnot

Would a freesat (or sky) box accept a cable intended for a freesat+/sky+ box?

Forgive my ignorance but we need a new LNB for our dish (the sky box - now freesat box keeps turning off at night time?). I was wondering if I should go for one sufficient to drive 2 freesat+ boxes?

I'm thinking of ending up with freesat+ downstairs and just freesat upstairs. Currently we just have a freesat box but I was hoping such a configuration as described above is eventually possible with such cables?

Many thanks in advance for any help/info.

It's just as cheap to get a quad lnb (one that has four outputs) - that doesnt mean you have to use all four though!...

the cable, connectors and lnb would be exactly the same whether you use freesat or sky so as long as it works with one it will work with the other.

the only difference between sky/freesat and their + variant is you need two cables, whether you get two runs of cable or the shotgun style cable (so called because it looks like a shotgun barrel, i.e like this ()() is entirely up to you, the cables are the same just, the shotgun style is two cables fit into roughly the same space as one normal cable....

hope that made sense...

Last edited:
Thanks for the info kdc.

The 2 cable thing clarifies some things for me.

What I was concerned about was do the 2 cables end in a "special" plug for the box or do they end up as 2 separate inputs to the box?

My assumption is that if they end up as 2 separate inputs then a box+ cabling is fine for use with a box.

So called shotgun cable is available in two sizes CF63/65 (approx 65 mm outside diam) and WF100 (100 mm OD). The thinner one will pass through the same hole as a standard single cable BUT is only suitable for cable runs of less than 20 metres

So called shotgun cable is available in two sizes CF63/65 (approx 65 mm outside diam) and WF100 (100 mm OD). The thinner one will pass through the same hole as a standard single cable BUT is only suitable for cable runs of less than 20 metres

65mm is 6.5cm (approx. 2.5 inches thick). 100mm is larger still! Should probably be 6.5mm and 10.0mm respectively. Wouldn't want anyone drilling holes larger than necessary!

Last edited:
65mm is 6.5cm (approx. 2.5 inches thick). 100mm is larger still! Should probably be 6.5mm and 10.0mm respectively. Wouldn't want anyone drilling holes larger than necessary!

Sorry correction accepted

WF65 "shotgun" cable is 4.8mm in diameter (x2) and WF100 cable is 6.8mm diameter. Shotgun will just fit nicely through a standard 10mm hole but, because its losses are high, it's not recommended to use a long length.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom