Sat Navs Which One ?

S

SheDevil

Its coming up for my husbands Birthday, I know he would Love a Sat Nav .. & as he is a Taxi Driver it hopefully will be very useful ... Now he refers to them all as TomToms ...which I don`t know if thats because he wants a tomtom model ? I think he just calls all sat navs tomtoms :confused: Anyway as I dont know have a clue about any of them Im hoping maybe someone can help ... I dont want to go out & buy the biggest & most expensive just to impress ... I would prefer to get good value for money & possibly with the best features ..one feature important to him would be the detection of speed cameras .... HELP PLEASE ?

Hi

I Have the Nuvi 360 and it is fantastic, small and compact and can easily fit in a shirt or trouser pocket. It has the bluetooth capability so that you can make phone calls through the sat nav and speak through it. The only difference between nuvi 310 and 360 is that 360 has european maps included and has text to speech instructions i.e. instead of saying turn right in 200 yds it will call out the name of the road. Go and have a look before deciding is my best advice.

Regards
letmeboogy

SheDevil said:
Thankyou ... can you tell me which model has the speed camera detection ?
All TomTom's can have a speed camera database loaded on them. You just need to drop the relevant files onto the SD card and enable the POI's.

Regards,

Steve

Go for a Nuvi 360 or 310 Its the best for quality and finish and ease of use.

I have the TomTom 1 and am highly delighted with it, only wish it had all the Europe maps on it for our hollidays.:smashin:

i'm a taxi driver also, and i found the tomtom 510 to be the best, as it's bluetooth allows you to dump your earpiece, it also contains a mic to clip on your sun visor

Thanks for all your help, I shall go along to Comet & have a look at what they have , also I see a lot of internet sites offering them, (handtec) has anyone bought from this site ? or are there any sites in particular that anyone can recommend. :)

I would advise you to go instore and look at the one you want then come online and compare prices. If you use some of the discount vouchers you will be able to get a cracking deal.

At the moment though the Nuvi 360 at Hantec is £407.37 and if you look on findsatnavdeals.com you will see that satnav2u has it for £402.50.

Both are very reputable retailer so you shouldn't have any problems. Let us know what you decide.

findsatnavdeals.com is a site that my brother updates he puts the prices including delivery and vat, note that handtec prices are displayed excluding vat.

Can someone also tell me on the tomtom models, are you able to download maps onto it, from the computer ...you know for updating, & any changes that take place ?
Thankyou in advance. :)

Hi,

I purchased my Nuvi 310 from Handtec earlier this year.

The whole process was totally painless! Item arrived next day with no problems.

Their pre-sales technical support was v. good too.

Hope that helps!:thumbsup:

SheDevil said:
Can someone also tell me on the tomtom models, are you able to download maps onto it, from the computer ...you know for updating, & any changes that take place ?
SheDevil said:

Yup, I'm sure you can (I have TomTom Navigator PDA software on my Orange SPV M2000 so it's a little different for me). I believe you need the TomTom Home PC application to link your TomTom to the PC and refresh the maps that way or you can stick your SD card in a PC card reader and do the same via windows explorer. New/updated maps are around £40/country but I believe that from time to time TomTom offer map updates (only) at a discount and only for download.

Ref. an up-to-date speed camera database (they can go out-of-date quite quickly) I use the downloadable database from pocketgpsworld.com (subscription £2/mth or £19/year) but does initially take a little setting up - not difficult, just time consuming. Unlike, it seems, the all-in-one units the Navigator doesn't come with any form of speed camera database. Or you can subscribe to the TomTom Plus speed camera service @ £27/year which I would expect to be more lay-user friendly.

I had a Nuvi 360. The sound died after 3 days. Garmin-Europe don't answer the telepone despite letting it ring for 30mins. They haven't replied to the emails I sent them nearly 3 weeks ago.

The supplier was Savastore.com/Watford Electronics. They kept trying to pass the buck to the manufacturer. Its taken nearly 3 weeks to get them to agree to take the unit back. I still don't know how long it will take them to issue a refund.

Also just to let you know a TomTom and most other GPS units will not be able to detect a speed camera it only has a database which has been loaded onto it from a publicly avialable list of locations

so some cameras may not show on the tomtom if there new etc

just so you know. its more of a warning device than gospal, they say a driver using one is 6 times less likly to get caught speeding. obviously theres still policemen and mobile cameras.

Hi-Def said:
...just so you know. its more of a warning device than gospal, they say a driver using one is 6 times less likly to get caught speeding. obviously theres still policemen and mobile cameras.

But the police are not allowed to set up mobile cameras in areas not previously designated and published as speed camera locations. Thus, if you are caught speeding by a mobile speed camera through a location not previously designated and published as such then the ticket is not valid.

That said however you cannot use your Speed Camera database as evidence as there's more likelyhood that it is actually out of date - but should prompt you to go and check its status. Also, obviously this only covers static locations (mobile and fixed) and does not cover being followed and logged by a police car with an onboard video camera linked to calibrated speed measurement equipment.

Thanks for all your Help everyone, I think Im going to purchase the tomtom 510 from the link as thats the best price at sat nav deals ....do you think if I order today, I would have it by tuesday?
Thanks again.

Just to let you know, I have ordered the Tomtom 510 from Amazon, & its being delivered 2morrow ... I could have got it cheaper from Dixons or The Link ... but not with gauranteed next day delivery .... Thanks for all the info u have given me .... will post later & let you know what hubby thinks & if he is delighted with his pressie, LOL
:devil:

SheDevil said:
Just to let you know, I have ordered the Tomtom 510 from Amazon, & its being delivered 2morrow ... I could have got it cheaper from Dixons or The Link ... but not with gauranteed next day delivery .... Thanks for all the info u have given me .... will post later & let you know what hubby thinks & if he is delighted with his pressie, LOL
:devil:

as a fellow cab driver, you have made the right choice.... congratulations:clap:

hi
i have just got a 710, easy to use just went to france and clocked up 1300 miles, it preformed fantastic, it clawed back some of the money in extra petrol i would have put in when lost! waypoints worked fab so i could pop of to a beach on route and join back to main route and it picked up all the fixed speed cameras. all the hotels we stayed at took us almost to the door!
noticed in france they were left in cars in main streets! could not get away with that here thieving scumbags.
it picks up a reception very quick and even worked under a long tunnel which i was suprised. i would say the only down side is the size, but if you can put up with that [ the wife usually carries a bag] its a fab piece of kit.
ps yes mine came with the modified mount no droop:clap:
cheers rog

OK folks. At long last I dished my ipac tom tom and after research got the 310 Garmin and so far after three weeks I am very impressed with the ease of use and accuracy. Garmin have allready updated software three times so just plug into pc and it updates itself. I also use the trafffic software and find that very usefull. In conclusion, a bit pricy but well worth it.
Regards to all who contributed to this topic.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom