sat nav output to lcd tv

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by keithwilliams, Aug 2, 2006.

1. keithwilliams

keithwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello
    i know nothing about in car sat nav. my wife would like one for her business. my question is; is there a unit without a display which i could connect to our in-dash lcd tv? i'd rather do this than have another add-on stuck on the dash or to the window. our tv monitor has facility to accept a video signal through an rca type jack.
    any advice will be appreciated.

2. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    This might be possible with a PDA-based system. My O2 XDA came with an adaptor to connect it to an external PC monitor, although that gives a VGA signal, not composite.
    Maybe a laptop-based system would work, if such a thing exists at a reasonable price.
    Even if you could get a signal to your TV, you'd still have the problem of controlling the satnav. You could program the route, then hide the device in the glovebox, or on the floor, I suppose.

3. mitor

mitor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Hi

As the above poster said, a PDA system is capable of this (Dell Axim X50c for exampe)

but you'd need to convert the vga signal, and it puts a lot of strain of the machine to output over the vga (and the dell is the fastest pda around) it struggles anyway, running satnav may be out of the option

The only option really is a dedicated mini-pc, but you're into self/custom build territory there

Also agree that without a touchscreen, most systems would be REALLY hard to use, 'fraid you may have to accept another unit....

4. keithwilliams

keithwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info. you are quite right i totally failed to appreciate that it would need to be controlled and so there will be a box anyway, so it may as well be a touch screen.