1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat Nav newbie...

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Apnomis, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've long been intrigued by the concept of sat nav, but never really understood much about it. I thought about getting a car with it but never bothered because of the extra £1700 it would cost.

However I'm seeing more and more GPS PDA's with Sat Nav software, the likes of Argos have them starting at around £250 now. Which in theory sounds great because they can be used for other things and are able to be used in different cars etc.

I was just wondering though if users of Sat Nav could give me some insight into what they're like to use. I've never seen one demoed so don't know how affective they are.

What do you need to look out for in a good PDA Sat Nav system? How easy is it to use? How do you choose your destination, just type in the address? Is it true they automatically adjust the route if you miss the turning? Do they "say" the directions to you? How detailed are the instructions/map? Are we talking a rough guide to the location or is it pin point detail? How much detail do they go into, for example if you're coming up to a large traffic island for example, will it say summet like "take the 3rd turning" and expect you to get into the right lane, or will it say something like "get into lane for the A25N" or whatever?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I really have no idea about the functionality of PDA Sat Nav, and am wondering if it is worth it. Is it basically a glorified version of multimap.com?

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I use an Ipaq 3970 with TomTom v3 and a Bluetooth GPS device (Globalsat BT308).

You can plan your journey by entering the postcode or town/street with a few little niceties like avoid road types, go via this/that town etc

The map is fairly detailed down to house number though it may be out by a bit as the accurancy is not to the inch (more like 50 yards).

The voice instructions (you choose the voice male/female; soft/loud etc) give you warnings in advance of turnoffs, roundabouts etc based on your speed. If your going fast the warning is earlier. It does give keep left & keep right warnings to keep you in the correct lanes on motorways etc.

At roundabouts it says 'Take the third exit' based on the exits, it does not know the angles so the thid exit may seem to be straight on to you. I have not heard it give special instructions on very large roundabouts/junctions apart from keep left or keep right.

If you don't follow the Sat Nav route it will re-calculate (but may at first tell you to turn around). Part of the fun is to go the wrong way just to confuse it - but only when you know where you are going!

Not perfect so you should keep a map just in case.

As an example I went to a wedding in Dover (had never been there before) we travelled from Stevenage,Herts and selected the main route manually. It wanted to go via some smaller roads but I went motorway instead and it adjusted fine. When we reached Dover it took me through all the one-way systems and guided me to the guest house with no mistakes. Other guests had to be collected from where they were as the one-way system was notorious. All the grooms directions were based on which pub you were near at the time!

So yes thay are good, not perfect, but you can take the PDA from car to car and even use it as a PDA.

A good forum to decide on PDA and Nav software is http://www.pocketgps.co.uk

Hope that's of use.

Steve

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I use TomTom v2 on an Ipaq, and I would not travel any distance without it. I have frequently left a blocked motorway or A road, and got to my destination quicker via a country lane or other back-route.

Want to find the nearest petrol station, Pizza Hut or Post office or Golf course - then just tap the screen to be taken there!
    Speed camera ahead? I get advanced audio and visual warning.

Even travelling around my local city, it guides be down the backroads that I have simply driven past for many years previously. On a winding road, the 3D view can give advanced warning of a sharp bend ahead.

In normal driving you would hardly look at the unit, as the voice control gives good, clear instructions on your next turn.

The [verbal] instructions will not tell you which road to look for, but only give turning or direction information. But the name of the next road is displaid on screen if you need it. Miss a turn, and it will either ask you to turn around, or will recalculate a new route instantly.

Check out reviews of the various software, and also read some of the forums on www.pocketgps.co.uk to determine which system would be better for your use.

4. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Recently got set up on Tom Tom 3, wouldn't go any distance without it. Don't know how I coped without it .......... Get one today !

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Another vote for Tom Tom 3 and an ipaq :thumbsup:

After a few weeks you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

Do some reading on the forum that steve and woody linked to, and buy one.

Mark.

6. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Another vote for tomtom3 and an ipaq, just got hold of my new system (an ipaq 4150) and have already found it invaluable. Just started a new job and need to go places I've never heard of, no messing about it just gets you there. The best feature seems to be the instant re-routing, I took a couple of wrong turns and it just instantly gets thing right again for you, only rarely does it say turn round, usually just picks up from wherever you are.

As others have said, how did I manage without it?

Owain

7. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I already had a Palm T3 which has a good landscape mode so recently got the tomtom 3 navigator kit for it. Well impressed and requires no setting up.

8. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    I just picked up a TomTom Go for £425 (incl. VAT) plus p&p off dabs.com - looks excellent and very easy to use! Oh and dabs.com were brilliant in terms of customer service and selivery (and no, I don't work for them!)...

Alternatively, if you're on O2 or Orange or need a new mobile anyway consider getting an XDA II or SPV M1000 phone and using it as a sat-nav device - the Bluetooth software kit is about £180...