1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sat here with 2910 for a few days.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John Langton, Apr 14, 2005.

1. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is best way to test. Alo what is the best 480p 576p 720p or 1080i? I know the answer will probably be "try all" but what usually gives the best picture. And why is it the progressive lights up to say its in progressive mode. I thought progressive scan was just for component and is redundant on digital output

John

2. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I'd like to know as well, and also if anyone uses the custom picture settings to any advantage.

3. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not one person wit any ideas? To my eyes each of the resoltions look the same but which is best image?

John

4. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    The Progressive lights up because 480/576 are Progressive (hence the P), 1080i is interlaced, which is why you should notice a flicker.

1080 is the highest resolution, but as it's not progressive, the 720p may be your best choice - personally due to the interlaced image, I run at 720p.

480/576 are the same "mode" but for NTSC/PAL.

5. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sadmuppet is there anything else I can be checking other than just sitting infront of it and watching it. To my eyes this denon is only a fraction better than my PC when im playing DVDs on it

John

6. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Outside of tweaking the settings and calibration of the screen, I can't easily comment as I've got the 3910 - however there are several "modes", Auto 2 seemed to be better than Auto 1 personally.

7. John Langton

John Langton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers will try it. Do you notice any of that macro blocking on your setup? Not sure if its because of the size of my screen but I notice it a little on the openening scene of Top Gun were the jets are moving around the carrier at dawn

John

8. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Personally no I don't see macroblocking on my setup. I think it's mostly a combination of screen and player - some do, some don't.

Having said that, I have Top Gun and not watched it yet, so maybe I'll have a look :)