SAS: Rogue Heroes (BBC One) from Steven Knight

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
“Peaky Blinders” creator and “Eastern Promises” scribe Steven Knight will adapt Ben Macintyre’s book “SAS: Rogue Heroes” into a six-episode drama series for BBC One.

BBC Two did a Docuseries in 2017
SAS: Rogue Warriors (BBC Two)

0241186633.jpg

The story deals with the origins of the British special forces unit, the Special Air Service (S.A.S.), which was created to lead a new form of combat in the deserts of North Africa in the early 1940s. Macintyre was given privileged access to the SAS’s archives to write his account of its history.

The BBC says in a statement the show will “[celebrate] the glory, action and camaraderie at the heart of this story [and] delve into the psychology of the flawed, reckless but astonishingly brave group of maverick officers and men who formed the SAS in the darkest days of World War II.”

The series is being produced by Kudos (“Broadchurch,” “Humans”) and will be distributed globally by Endemol Shine International. Karen Wilson, Tommy Bulfin, Martin Haines and Emma Kingsman-Lloyd will executive produce.

BBC Orders Steven Knight Drama Series ‘SAS: Rogue Heroes’

Thanks for the heads up. I watched the Docu-series from 2017 about 3 months ago (a BBC repeat). Gripping stuff.

Six-part drama will air on BBC One and BBC iPlayer in 2022 ...
(expected to air around Easter time)

Published: 12:01 am, 29 October 2021

A gallery of first-look images has been released for SAS: Rogue Heroes, the major new drama series from Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight. Made by Kudos (a Banijay UK company) for the BBC, the six-part series will air next year on BBC One and BBC iPlayer.

Filmed on location in the UK and Morocco, SAS: Rogue Heroes is the dramatised account of how the world’s greatest Special Forces unit, the SAS, was formed under extraordinary circumstances in the darkest days of World War Two.

Tom Glynn-Carney (Dunkirk, The King) joins the previously announced cast, as SAS founding member Mike Sadler. Also announced today are BAFTA-winner Jason Watkins (Line of Duty, The Crown) alongside Stuart Campbell (Baptiste), Ralph Davis (Small Axe), Bobby Schofield (Time), Virgile Bramly (Grand Hotel), Tom Hygreck (La Garçonne), Paul Boche (SOKO Potsdam), David Alcock, Moritz Jahn (Dark), Arthur Orcier (J'irai où tu iras), Jordy Lagbre, Adrian Lukis (Feel Good), Anthony Calf (Poldark), Isobel Laidler (The Witcher), and Ian Davies (Game of Thrones), who all play key roles across the series.

Steven Knight, SAS: Rogue Heroes writer and executive producer, says: "It has been a privilege to work on a project which tells the story of a renegade band of soldiers who used wit and imagination as much as firepower to halt the march of Fascism across North Africa during the darkest days of World War Two. This is a war story like no other, told in a way that is at once inspired by the facts and true to the spirit of this legendary brigade of misfits and adventurers."

Karen Wilson, executive producer and Joint Managing Director of Kudos says: “With filming now complete, we’re incredibly excited to give the world a first look at our Rogue Heroes. A huge thank you to the series’ peerless cast and crew for bringing Steven Knight’s ambitious, extraordinary scripts to life with such skill and style.”

Rich with action and set-pieces, SAS: Rogue Heroes is the exhilarating story of renegade men taking monumental risks in extraordinary circumstances.

Cairo, 1941. David Stirling (Connor Swindells) - an eccentric young officer, hospitalised after a training exercise went wrong - is bored. Convinced that traditional commando units don’t work, he creates a radical plan that flies in the face of all accepted rules of modern warfare. He fights for permission to recruit the toughest, boldest and brightest soldiers for a small undercover unit that will create mayhem behind enemy lines. More rebels than soldiers, Stirling’s team are every bit as complicated, flawed and reckless as they are astonishingly brave and heroic.

SAS: Rogue Heroes (6x60’) is created and written by Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders, Taboo, A Christmas Carol) and directed by Tom Shankland (The Serpent, The Missing), with Stephen Smallwood (The Serpent, Patrick Melrose) as producer. The series is executive produced by Karen Wilson, Martin Haines and Emma Kingsman-Lloyd for Kudos, and Tommy Bulfin for the BBC. It was commissioned for the BBC by Piers Wenger, Director of BBC Drama, and Charlotte Moore, Chief Content Officer.

Filming has wrapped on the series, which will air on BBC One and BBC iPlayer in 2022. SAS: Rogue Heroes will be distributed internationally by Banijay Rights.

b94e36_e7efd4ee413e414fb809c1a1e054e433_mv2.jpeg

Alfie Allen, Connor Swindells and Jack O'Connell

b94e36_3eec36d72a324565a9a20bf7e3590c09_mv2.jpeg

Dominic West

b94e36_327fa94eba714a27a38d82baf8ecde72_mv2.jpeg

Sofia Boutella

b94e36_27000204bd1c4e02b2ad602be09eb912_mv2.jpeg

Connor Swindells

b94e36_a79f8d60645547e3ac97664eb7618245_mv2.jpeg

Jack O'Connell

b94e36_062d46b0ecc7499a82940cb58cce9168_mv2.jpeg

Alfie Allen and Theo Barklem Biggs

b94e36_5b8ef3f4ecd14282a1a9c3284c69bd63_mv2.jpeg

Sofia Boutella

b94e36_4fb3ed81002c465d9459be2f13b5765c_mv2.jpeg

SAS Rogue Heroes

b94e36_56ee7ee9b0ca466bb932469e23e080ff_mv2.jpeg

Jack O'Connell and Connor Swindells

Appears to have moved from Easter to autumn.

Every story has a start.

Connor Swindells, Jack O’Connell, Alfie Allen, Sofia Boutella and Dominic West star in this upcoming story from Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight inspired by the origins of the world’s greatest Special Forces unit, the SAS.

SAS Rogue Heroes, coming this autumn to iPlayer.

Starts at 9pm tonight on BBC1

Then straight after, from 10pm to 1am on BBC4, are all three parts of Ben MacIntyre's original 2017 doc series, SAS: Rogue Warriors, also based on his 2016 book, SAS: Rogue Heroes, the first authorised wartime history of the SAS.

Couple of good articles in recent days by Ben Macintyre in The Times ...

(paywalled, but free to access if you've not accessed anything else there for a while - 2 article limit I think, and I've just accessed them, with an existing login, which can also be via Google or Facebook account)

I only watched episode one I wasn’t expecting that style, maybe more Guy Ritchie? 🤣

It is in UHD
It certainly is in UHD on iPlayer, HLG HDR as well.

Again poor from the BBC not advertising it as in UHD as far as I could see anywhere? And I looked everywhere last few weeks trying to find out.

24D115B4-3314-4C01-8F9E-8E068C22784A.jpeg

It certainly is in UHD on iPlayer, HLG HDR as well.

Again poor from the BBC not advertising it as in UHD as far as I could see anywhere? And I looked everywhere last few weeks trying to find out.

View attachment 1775277
Indeed, I only found out that it was in UHD when it was announced just before the show started so I switched from my Apple TV 4K to watch it on the inbuilt iPlayer app on my TV instead to benefit from the HLG HDR picture quality. It's the only time I don't use the ATV box for my BBC viewing.

I only watched episode one I wasn’t expecting that style, maybe more Guy Ritchie? 🤣
I agree I thought it was a bit off putting I was a expecting a serious drama without the gimmicks and heavy rock rifts it was a bit off putting for me I've only watch one episode so far so I'll stick with it and I didn't realise it was in 4K on the iplayer until I read this thread

I've just finished the full series and absolutely loved it you couldn't make it up but it's mostly true if it was a fictional series you would have said it was to far fetched

Excellent production - I too have enjoyed it a great deal and it's well worth watching in conjunction with Ben Macintyre's three-part documentary which is also on the BBC.

Fingers crossed there is a series two in the offing.

Another win for BBC & Steven Knight then

Tom Glynn-Carney (House of The Dragon, Dunkirk) takes us behind the scenes of new BBC drama SAS Rogue Heroes and meets 102-year-old Mike Sadler, who his character is based on.

Excellent production - I too have enjoyed it a great deal and it's well worth watching in conjunction with Ben Macintyre's three-part documentary which is also on the BBC.

Fingers crossed there is a series two in the offing.
Recommend reading the Ben Macintyre book as well. I've not watched the series yet, but the book goes into the European campaign.

I hope we get a series 2 soon.
That was a great series.

Digging the soundtrack .....sham 69..the damned ...the clash

I've just finished watching this.

Bloody loved it. I hope there's a second. :)

Spiffing tonight, the pyrotechnics looked pretty convincing even if the ME 109s had a whiff of plywood. My only real moan is that the hard rock/punk soundtrack is rather intrusive. I found myself recomposing certain scenes in the style of Ennio Morricone with his brilliant use of sparse "non instruments" like clicks and creaks to create tension. Dropping a slab of Saxon or The Damned on top is pretty crude.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom