Sarkozy suggests cap on fuel tax

loz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7421198.stm

Well, at least one politician is listening (even if it is just trying to increase his own personal popularity) :smashin:

The French president has suggested that the EU should consider capping value added tax on fuel to help countries deal with surging oil prices.

Nicolas Sarkozy warned there was no sign the oil price would dip and urged EU member states to consider his idea.

Fishermen across France are continuing to blockade ports and fuel depots in protest at rising diesel costs.

"If the barrel continues to rise, must we maintain a VAT rate that is proportional to the price in the same conditions?" Mr Sarkozy said in an interview with French radio station RTL.

I notice the french are blockading ports. Don't think our government is going to stand for that of course... we are just expected to lump it. :mad:

The EU commission of course live on another planet. Their reaction is to say simply that rising fuel prices should be passed on to customers. Oh, problem solved then... :rolleyes:

"A (EU) commission spokesman on energy said the best way to offset rising fuel costs would be to enable the fishing industry to pass on the increases to consumers."

I actually suspect that Sarko is having some fun at the UK governments expense- much the same as the UK govt does whenever the CAP is up for discussion.

I actually suspect that Sarko is having some fun at the UK governments expense- much the same as the UK govt does whenever the CAP is up for discussion.

I doubt it. He has his own fuel tax problems at home. We might pay the highest in Europe with 57p per litre going on tax, but the French pay 48p.

I doubt it. He has his own fuel tax problems at home. We might pay the highest in Europe with 57p per litre going on tax, but the French pay 48p.

I believe that as a take of total revenue, he's got more room to manouvre than Gord.

I don't drive, but the missus does, and I share in petrol costs of the bloke who gives me a lift to work.

I think we're getting near a position where fuel prices are just too much. I know they're alreadt very high indeed, but I'm thinking of a 'tipping point' being reached.

I'm sure that, if things go on as they have been, we'll see a change in policy.

That's the easy bit, though. The difficult bit is deciding how the government will make up the shortfall.

Steve W

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7421198.stm

Well, at least one politician is listening (even if it is just trying to increase his own personal popularity) :smashin:

Unfortunately that's all that Sarko does. He listens, he puts plans in place, someone objects and nothing happens. For the Great Hope of France the man is turning into complete washout. He does nothing.
Nice wife though.

And for what its worth:

Petrol, via Total about 1.50€, via supermarkets about 1.40€
Derv, via Total about 1.47€ via supermarkets, about 1.37€

In pounds thats £1.20, £1.12, £1.17 and £1.10.

But in France Derv was always much much cheaper than petrol. But not now.

Somebody remind me why is diesel more expensive than petrol ?
Is it the refining process or is it simply more tax ?

Somebody remind me why is diesel more expensive than petrol ?
Is it the refining process or is it simply more tax ?

It's a bit of both. European refineries are optimised for petrol production and have not kept up with demand. We've had to import diesel from the US and elsewhere to help out.

[pedant]May 1940[/pedant]

[awkward sod]Only if you assume they were happy to wait to be attacked. In WWII it was repeatedly shown attack was the best form of defence, and despite a low level of mobilisation an attack on Germany while they were deployed against Poland would have been more effective than the static (and as it happens redundant) defences of the Maginot line.[/awkward sod]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom