Sapphire screens.

KamSandhu44

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just been looking at the Sapphire pj screens and wanted to get peoples opinions.

They seem rather cheap in comparison to the likes of Grand View.

Are they any good? Or is it better to go with something like the Grand View?

I have a 92" fixed screen and am very happy with it. My only problem was actually assembling it as stretching the material to fit onto the plastic studs at the back gave me a workout like I've never experienced before and caused the kind of nerve jangling fear over possibly tearing the screen that I can only assume bomb disposal experts feel.

It didn't help either that the Instructions seemed to be written by someone for whom English wasn't even a second language in a text size that required Hubblle Telescope type magnification to read.

The screen itself is lovely :thumbsup:

Hi all,

I have just been looking at the Sapphire pj screens and wanted to get peoples opinions.

They seem rather cheap in comparison to the likes of Grand View.

Are they any good? Or is it better to go with something like the Grand View?

I had both, a manual grand view and electric sapphire, the grand view wasn't worth the extra cost imo, same material as far as I could see, the motor seems fine on the sapphire so far but expect some edge curl if it's non tab tensioned, I have edge curl on my non tab but it's not to noticeable in viewing when lights are off.

My views are exactly the same as Martins.
They are good for the money but obviously not as good as a tab tensioned one. I also have a bit of edge curl.

Optoma, Grandview, Sapphire and Spitfire are all made in the same factory by the looks of it.

Richer sounds sell them and have them in their demo rooms usually so if you have one near you could go see them before you purchased

I have a 122" 9ft wide Sapphire manual pull down screen for 15months now and it's still fine,
no problems.

The 130" Sapphire in ceiling screen is around £550. Seems a right bargain.

The GrandView 120" is around £1350.

How can there be such a gulf in price?

I think most screens it's luck of the draw. I have a Sapphire screen, it's not bad but it does have a bit of screen curl on the edges. Tab tension all the way if you can afford it.............

The only way you guarantee a perfectly flat surface, no ripples or curls is tab tensioned.

I have a 106" Grandview non tab still spot on, you pays your money.....

May have been bad luck but I had 2 Grandview 106" screens, slight edge curl on both but one had crimps all the way up in the side borders, my sapphire has those to but less cost.

I had 2 106 inch electric Saphire screens, both went back one after the other, There where ripples all over the fabric on both, the Grandview cyber screen is the one to buy, it's worth the extra IMHO, my mate has one and it's as flat as a pancake and is used daily. I ended up getting an Otheolline screen tab tensioned, I had to send the first one back for the same reasons as the Saphire, even with my second screen, I'm getting a little fabric stretch at the bottom corners, this screen cost me well over £1000, if Knew then what I know now I would buy the Grandview without hesitation! Don't buy into that crap they are all made in the same factory so the must be the same! Total bollocks.

Hope this helps, don't want to see you wasting your hard earned.

Good luck

I had 2 106 inch electric Saphire screens, both went back one after the other, There where ripples all over the fabric on both, the Grandview cyber screen is the one to buy, it's worth the extra IMHO, my mate has one and it's as flat as a pancake and is used daily. I ended up getting an Otheolline screen tab tensioned, I had to send the first one back for the same reasons as the Saphire, even with my second screen, I'm getting a little fabric stretch at the bottom corners, this screen cost me well over £1000, if Knew then what I know now I would buy the Grandview without hesitation! Don't buy into that crap they are all made in the same factory so the must be the same! Total danglies.

Hope this helps, don't want to see you wasting your hard earned.

Good luck

Thanks for your input.

I get there must be some differences between Sapphire and GrandView because of the price differences.

I have decided to pay the extra for GrandView.

Now I am debating with myself if it's worth paying even more for tab tensioned.

Thanks for your input.

I get there must be some differences between Sapphire and GrandView because of the price differences.

I have decided to pay the extra for GrandView.

Now I am debating with myself if it's worth paying even more for tab tensioned.

On the Grandview I wouldn't bother with a tab tensioned, but if your looking for piece of mind, how much is the screen costing you non tabbed and tabbed?

On the Grandview I wouldn't bother with a tab tensioned, but if your looking for piece of mind, how much is the screen costing you non tabbed and tabbed?

The non tab tensioned is £1390 and the tab tensioned is £2150.

I can't really find any people complaining about edge curl Grandview.

GrandView and Sapphire are both manufactured in the same factory, in fact when I contacted their Grandview main agent in China I was directed to Sapphire as the local seller in the UK

Don't buy into that crap they are all made in the same factory so the must be the same! Total danglies.
If you look at their instructions, the actual casings, channel fix mount etc. they are the same.
There might be some difference between the fabrics, I don't know but with the difference in price you would hope so.

To the OP you are looking at spending a fair amount on a screen I would have a good look at Diverse Screens, Draper / Euroscreen, Impact Screen Solutions, Screen International, Elite Screens.
Then of course Sapphire, Optoma, Grandview & Spitfire.

Last edited:
GrandView and Sapphire are both manufactured in the same factory, in fact when I contacted their Grandview main agent in China I was directed to Sapphire as the local seller in the UK

I've read the same thing in many places.
There must be differences as the price points are so different.

I have also read many complaints about Sapphire not many about GrandView.

The price itself is not necessary an indication of any difference. Plenty of products have the same origin but widely differing prices. VW and Skoda and Audi jump to mind!!

As I said when i approached Grandview in the far east they referred me to Sapphire as their seller in the UK.

Sapphire are based in the UK and are always excellent on support, Grandview dont have an office in the UK as far as I can tell.

Sapphire sell vast numbers of screens so you will always get complaints

Last edited:
I've read the same thing in many places.
There must be differences as the price points are so different.

I have also read many complaints about Sapphire not many about GrandView.
My Sapphire is ok, you can see a picture of it in the link in my sig.

If you look at their instructions, the actual casings, channel fix mount etc. they are the same.
There might be some difference between the fabrics, I don't know but with the difference in price you would hope so.

Ye, the fabrics are different the Sapphire is much lighter / softer, the Grandview is like strong card, that's why it sits so rigid. I thought the two screens would be the same after doing a lot of reading up on forums etc, I made a mistake.

To the OP you are looking at spending a fair amount on a screen I would have a good look at Diverse Screens, Draper / Euroscreen, Impact Screen Solutions, Screen International, Elite Screens.
Then of course Sapphire, Optoma, Grandview & Spitfire.

As, I said I have an Othelloline "tab tensioned 106 diag" I bought it from Impact screen solutions, I spent good money on it and its stretching out at the bottom corners, the type of material seems to stretch, I had the non tabed tension before it and it had to go back due to curling.

There are the other ones that you have mentioned above that I can't comment on.

The casing on my Grandveiw manual pull down was deeper and more a curvy shape, 1 of the 2 I tried had a shinier finish to the black borders and the other more matte, there was a difference in the material from the cheaper Optoma screens I had and the Grandview and Sapphire but not between the sapphire and Grandview imo.
Perhaps the Grandview manual has different material to the electric version but it was nothing like strong card.

The larger more sculpted casing and Somfy motor (5 yr warranty) on the Grandview is most likely part of its extra cost.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom