Sapphire Screens

I received my 2 m manual Sapphire screen a few weeks ago. Very happy for the price and the rubber smell is starting to fade :)

Am I only only one having a problem with getting the screen retracted ?

Theres a real knack to the wrist flick/pull-release-grab before it smashes the casing-routine

Last night it took me 4 attempts to get the screen back up !!

Or am I just technically challenged ?? :suicide: :oops:

Knew I was crap with roller blinds - that's why I went for electric!!!! :cool: esp. at the price :thumbsup:

Hope you get it up ;) :eek:

got the SEWS200WSF electric screen, nice screen for the money but they do pong a bit and there is no control for presetting the drop but otherwise good value

thekingbeyond said:
got the SEWS200WSF electric screen, nice screen for the money but they do pong a bit and there is no control for presetting the drop but otherwise good value

There is a manual control for presetting drop... it is pictured in the very badly written manual but not very clear! Next to each end cap is a small panel about 2" x 3/4" secured by a single screw. If you take this off then you can see some small blocks that are illustrated in the guide... you can adjust these blocks to limit the screw thread and set the stop. Haven't tried it myself but have had a look.

guido said:
There is a manual control for presetting drop... it is pictured in the very badly written manual but not very clear! Next to each end cap is a small panel about 2" x 3/4" secured by a single screw. If you take this off then you can see some small blocks that are illustrated in the guide... you can adjust these blocks to limit the screw thread and set the stop. Haven't tried it myself but have had a look.

Ive just took the small panel off and can see 2 small solonoids or switches with a plastic block that moves between them as the roller moves up and down, i cant see how to adjust them, any chance of a scan of the manual m8,it might help, as i didnt get one with mine. :)

There is only 4 pages in the whole manual and the english is laughable - you havent missed much! Have scanned in all 4 pages for you - attached.

Guido

Attachments

• Manual_1.jpg
    Manual_1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 440
  • Manual_2.jpg
    Manual_2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 485
  • Manual_3.jpg
    Manual_3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 386
  • Manual_4.jpg
    Manual_4.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 573
guido said:
There is only 4 pages in the whole manual and the english is laughable - you havent missed much! Have scanned in all 4 pages for you - attached.

Guido

You are a star thanks for the effort, i rang projectorscreen.co.uk and they said that adjustment wasn`t possoble :( . Will have a play tomorrow. :thumbsup:

have got my screen to drop to the right hight and stop now, no standing there with the switch. Thanks again to guido

and thanks to Guido again for the comedy value in the Sapphire translation - fantastic !!! :smashin: :rotfl:

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether the mains power lead can enter from either end? It seems from some of the photos that it is on the right hand side, but I would need a left hand entry.

Thanks

Steve_UK said:
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me whether the mains power lead can enter from either end? It seems from some of the photos that it is on the right hand side, but I would need a left hand entry.

Thanks

Dont think so... but it would be easy to run the wire behind the casing up against the ceiling back to the left end... or even back on itself inside the casing (just enough room). The wire that comes out goes to the control box and is probably long enough to do this. I cut my wires to control box down to 6" then cut off the plug and passed power wire up into ceiling... see piccy.

Attachments

• ControlBox.jpg
    ControlBox.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 703
Thanks for the info. I have assumed that it would not be possible (or perhaps not easy), and have re-thought the installation. I think I have it worked out OK with a right-hand cable entry - hope so, 'cos it's coming tomorrow:)

Cheers.

FYI
i've just received my screen (2.0m 4:3) and the cassette design is different to that shown in the pictures earlier in this tread, more contoured than before, will install it in the next few days to see how it checks out
Regards
Jez

Hi,

I have been looking at their web site and can't find the screen you ordered guido. The only remote electics seem to be 1:1 not 16:9. Any chance of a direct link or did you order it via the telephone.

I haven't had any luck via email with them atm (been over a week). May have to give them a call I suppose e-ordering is so much simpler ;)

Also did you trim the link from the screen to the remote receiver or just the power lead into that? I am going to basically replicate what you have done with your last piccy into my loft and then have a switch in the room to control the actual socket.

Any problems so far or is it all good?

not looking that great

ordered a 1:1 screen as i need a good drop to it and most of the 4:3 screens on the market only have around 2-3cm of top black border,
the screen arrived as a 4:3 with 2-3cm top black border :-( not a good start.
the controls were incorrectly wired, up was down and down was up, one of the end caps had two screws with the heads sheared off (i strongly suspect overtightning at the factory) and it was generally looking a little scruffy (the metal black bar had scratches all over it)

when i rang the supplier they told me the model had changed, they can't get the 1:1 so they shipped this one !, no real mention of the problems i told them about

soo, i'm left with a screen thats going back with no real replacment option, will have to around for another brand i guess, oh yes they're not too quick at returning phone calls either !

yours unimpressed
Jez

jeremysnow1234 said:
not looking that great

when i rang the supplier they told me the model had changed, they can't get the 1:1 so they shipped this one !, no real mention of the problems i told them about

Hmm you should inform them to update thier web site as they are still listed as a model.

1ofaKind said:
Hi,

I have been looking at their web site and can't find the screen you ordered guido. The only remote electics seem to be 1:1 not 16:9. Any chance of a direct link or did you order it via the telephone.

I haven't had any luck via email with them atm (been over a week). May have to give them a call I suppose e-ordering is so much simpler ;)

Also did you trim the link from the screen to the remote receiver or just the power lead into that? I am going to basically replicate what you have done with your last piccy into my loft and then have a switch in the room to control the actual socket.

Any problems so far or is it all good?

No probs so far... doesnt always retract right to the top - maybe stops 2" short... need to open up and check stops, but cant be bothered at the mo :rolleyes:

Re your question - I trimmed the lead going to the control box - the screen end. I.e. I opened the screen up which just has screw terminals and not the control box. The power lead I just cut the plug off to pass wire up into loft and put another plug on.

Good idea re power switch to control loft socket. Its on my list of things to do.... Want one switch in room to power off screen and PJ that are plugged in loft.

Good luck.

If anyone orders Sapphire - I would just ring them up to order. Much easier speaking to someone and make sure you know what you are getting.

Guido

Anyone succesfully used a harmony 885 remote to control a sapphire IR screen ? I'm trying but failing, the remote does not like the IR signal from the sapphire remote when you teach it but after a couple of attempts it appears to accept it. When you then send an up or down signal from the harmony the screen does nothing !. The only response i get from the screen is when I send the learnt stop message and the sapphire remote box just BEEPS at me :cool:
Waiting for a call back from projectorscreen.co.uk but they didn't sound that knowledgable :confused:

berwyn said:
Anyone succesfully used a harmony 885 remote to control a sapphire IR screen ? I'm trying but failing, the remote does not like the IR signal from the sapphire remote when you teach it but after a couple of attempts it appears to accept it. When you then send an up or down signal from the harmony the screen does nothing !. The only response i get from the screen is when I send the learnt stop message and the sapphire remote box just BEEPS at me :cool:
Waiting for a call back from projectorscreen.co.uk but they didn't sound that knowledgable :confused:

You mentioned IR in your post, I think its worth mentioning that the sapphire screen I have, is RF rather than IR and I think that applies to their entire range. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
However as I understand it, the harmony 885 has the ability to control RF products as well as IR, so controlling their screens may actually be acheivable. Good Luck!! :uk:

Hi
No the screen I have is the IR version, the default they supply is RF unless you specifically ask for IR.
I have now managed to get the harmony to learn the IR command but it took forever. Can't understand why but after many many attempts I got it to learn up, stop and down.
P.S
The IR controller looks identical to the RF one apart from the obvious IR diode sticking out the front.
My 885 doesn't have RF capabilities , I think its only the 895 that has that and its an extra £90 :eek:

Having read all your comments I took the plunge and ordered one of the 197cm wide (viewable) sapphire screens on Sunday from www.projectorscreen.co.uk

It arrived on the Tuesday morning, very well packed to protect it and took about half an hour to fix into place on the ceiling.

The instruction book that came with my screen (SEWS200RWSF-I) is rewritten in real English and covers the setting of the microswitches to limit stop points as well as full operation of the screen. The fact that the screen had a nice sized top border is also very appreciated as it means I can have the screen low enough to avoid neck ache. To drop or retract the screen takes around 50 seconds and the motor is not too loud either.

Overall I am very pleased with the screen, images from my InFocus IN76 look great and very cinematic. I cannot fault the service from the suppliers either.

The only problem I encountered was that once or twice when using my pronto remote to skip a chapter on my Sony DVD player it seemed to send an "up" command to the infra-red receiver for the screen. Not the best thing to happen when you are trying to watch a DVD! I've added a "stop" button to the remote on my DVD player page just in case it happens again.

David

There are other suppliers of the Sapphire Screens selling them cheaper than projectorscreens.uk
Look for the part codes in google, pricegrabber etc and you should find a better price.
Delivery is the same (Next Day) if in stock.
Good Luck all !

AV Nik

Just ordered my sapphire manual screen from CVS Media

Got the 2m 16:9 screen for under a £100 delivered. Bargain. :thumbsup:

Must say the service has been fantastic, very friendly professional service. The screen should be delivered tomorrow so will let you know how I get on. Would thoroughly recommend the company.

I was contemplating one of the electric screens on ebay from Germany but decided to stick with the manual sapphire one as it seems to have good feedback on here. I was worried about the longevity of those electric ones.

My screen arrived next day as promised from CVS Media. Looks excellent will hang it on the weekend.

Any recommendations of what film I should watch to show off my new purchase?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom