Sapphire Screens

C

c96567502002

I am looking for my first "proper screen" for my set up, currently projecting onto blackout blind with a Sanyo Z1...

Anyway, projectorscreen.co.uk seem to be selling SAPPHIRE electric screens (model SEWS180) for £159 plus the VAT and delivery.

Has anyone had any experience of these, and if so are they any good?

thanks

:lease:

I was in the same predicament as you just before christmas, but I was deliberating about the Sapphire 2.4m remote electric screen. Not knowing much about the brand I was reluctant to make a purchase, but as it was christmas I thought what the hell and splashed out the £360 and bought one!

What can I say? I haven't looked back. The screen is great, very flat and the motor is really quiet. Whatsmore the screen is black backed so works a treat in front of my window!

The service from www.projectorscreen.co.uk was great, the screen arrived next day and worked a treat! I'm now the envy of all my friends, which is great, but they just wont go home!

James

The price of these screens seems too good to be true. Did you get the remote control version? Can you adjust the height to whatever you want? Any signs of ripples or creases since Christmas? Your honesty is appreciated.

Clint.

Ok then, anyone else have any experience with these screens?

Clint.

Just taken the plunge and ordered a 180 electric remote screen (174x97 viewable - code SEWS180R-WSF) from them :rolleyes: £257.33 :) (inc. VAT and next day delivery).

Hopefully will get it up this weekend... will have to see what fixings it comes with and if beams are in the right place... so it might take more than one weekend! Will report back when its up. Once thing to note though, guy on phone said did not come with 12v trigger for projector, hence why I went for remote option.

Just for info their tel number is 01633 893549

I'm currently viewing on my "Ivory" colour wall and can't believe how cheap these seem. I'd be happy with a manual 2mx2m version which without VAT and delivery is £80! I can't afford to spend much on a screen but i'm certain this would beat my wall by a good margin.

I'd need to be able to adjust the pull down distance so that the black area at the top is still in the roller as my viewing area needs to be quite high in my room. I've emailed projectorscreen.co.uk to ask them if it can do that.

Was toying with the idea of painting hardboard and other DIY options before seeing these.

Well... it's arrived :D ordered yesterday afternoon and it arrived this morning... can't ask for better than that! Very sturdy box... had it delivered to work so will open when I get home... :thumbsup:

Got the screen home and unpacked it... all looks good so far. Won't be able to fit until the weekend so cant tell you how flat it is. Box very strong and well packed. Comes with Instruction Manual - very very basic and laughable English translation :rotfl: , the remote, and a bracket for the control box. As there is no remote triggerm think remote is a must (it was a £45 option). It is RF so no line of sight needed. As far as I can tell (until it is hung), it is actually 1.8m high too, so lots of black at the top, i.e. ideal for high ceilings. It can be wall hung, or ceiling hung (no screws supplied). It is quite heavyt though so am going to have to think about mounting... its going onto a plasterboarded RSJ... so am expecting difficulties :(

Have attached some photos to whet your appetite for what I hope is bargain of the year electric screen wise.

Edit: Going to be a while.. as decided need to board out that bit of the loft first before I start climbing about and risk putting foot through ceiling! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• CIMG1022 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1022 (Small).JPG
    36 KB · Views: 931
  • CIMG1025 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1025 (Small).JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,015
  • CIMG1030 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1030 (Small).JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,111
  • CIMG1031 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1031 (Small).JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 960
  • CIMG1032 (Small).JPG
    CIMG1032 (Small).JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,005
Nice one guido, keep us updated.

Clint.

I also have a 'sapphire' screen, but mine is the manual pull down version, other than that it looks identical.
I installed it very discreetly to keep my missus happy see below, I only paid about £90 for mine and although I can't compare it to anything else as it is my first PJ screen I am very happy with it :thumbsup:

The picture with the screen pulled down is a bit misleading (and out of focus)
as my camera is crap at taking low-light pictures, so the room is actually much darker than it looks.

PS. I don't normally have a toilet in my garden, I'm fitting a new bathroom!

Attachments

• DSCF0077 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF0077 (640 x 480).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,048
  • DSCF0076 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF0076 (640 x 480).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,112
  • DSCF0078 (640 x 480).jpg
    DSCF0078 (640 x 480).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,733
Johnnie, your photo of the screen down looks like it has a ripple in it on the left hand side. Is that actually there or would you say it was totally flat?

Clint.

It does have a slight ripple :mad: , however I never notice it when watching a film, I think the light reflecting from the sides of the patio door frame, (white plastic) makes it look worse than it actually is.
This may have been caused by me :oops: , as when I first fitted it I didn't realise how strong the spring would be that pulls the screen back up, and I lost grip of the handle which meant that it went up very quickly and made a nasty sound :eek: , that probably didn't help :rolleyes: .
I like the fact that it is possible to have the screen quite low, so that when sitting in your favourite chair/sofa you don't get neck ache :clap:

Clint C said:
Nice one guido, keep us updated.

Clint.

...sorry still not done it yet!!!

have been doing all the lights in that room first.. which involved about 3 other jobs (loft boarding... moving fm aerial... strip light in loft etc etc)... anyway now have 6 low voltage spots operating on 2 dimmers so can turn off the 4 nearest the screen separate to dimming the 2 over the seating position :thumbsup:

Screen is next honest!!!
...and then trying to fabricate a projector lift so PJ disappears into ceiling!!! :eek:

So.. finally got round to fixing it up tonight.. needed two people to hold it up whilst screwed in place!! It is heavy.

First impressions? It is very very quiet in operation. Just a gentle hum. The remote works a treat and control box too. Remote & Control just has up down and stop. Dont have to keep button pressed. Just click once to start descent. It will stop at full extent.... or you can open up a small panel and adjust a couple of screws to get it to stop where you want (havent tried that yet).

Flat? Well.... from front on looks pretty good. From the side there are a few waves... but nothing to write home about. In one photo you cant see them at all, in the other the light is angled just in the right place to show them up. From the front during projection i dont think you will be aware they are there. Quality wise... the motor seems to be very good as does the control box and remote. The screen material is a sort of woven plastic (smells a bit!) and the white area is just a coating on the top. Its not brilliant quality.. but then again this is not a £500+ screen. It is black through and no lights comes from the back. You can see this in one of the photos which has a light behind the screen.

The control box will be mounted on the ceiling and the wire passed up through a hole... so ignore the dangling wire for now. I did take the end cap off to shorted the wire from the screen to control box as this was very long.

Havent tried projector on it yet. Will report back again when I do.

On the whole for £257 delivered for an electric remote screen I dont think you can complain. PS the size for reference of white area is 174x97 (78.5" diagonal).

Guido

Attachments

• Screen.jpg
    Screen.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,924
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,434
  • Control.jpg
    Control.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,294
  • Corner.jpg
    Corner.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1,221
  • SideRipple.jpg
    SideRipple.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,208
Looks excellent Guido

Nice one guido :thumbsup: , really informative.

Clint.

I got a Sapphire screen last week and it's faulty, but I'm getting no reply to my emails. I'm just starting to get a little concerned.

EDIT:

Forget this - just spoken to them on the phone and they hadn't been getting my emails - very apologetic.

They are picking up the old screen and sending me a new one as soon as they get it back.

Good service :thumbsup:

Been looking for a while, I've been reading the comments on this site, thanks all!
The prices on www.Projectorscreen.co.uk looked to good to be true, I've just bought a 2.4m x 1.8m Electric Remote RF screen for only £299 + £10 delivery + Vat (SEWS240R)

To say I'm impressed is an understatement, ordered online at around 4pm the screen arrived next morning!!! :thumbsup:

The screen quality is excellent! Find it hard to believe the more expensive screens of similar size and electric remote controls, could be any better, the motor is whisper quiet and you don't even have to point the remote at the screen (RF)

They even used UPS, my company uses this delivery service, excellent service. As you can tell I was impressed! I even phoned to thank them for this excellent service.

If your after an excellent screen and excellent service this is the one to go for!
I'm after a good home projector now, thanks in advance for any comments!
Happy easter everyone!

www.projectorscreen.co.uk

I have the Sapphire sews 200r/c and agree with everyone else fantastic VFM :D

It's mounted in the bay window, even in daylight with the curtains open using a Toshiba TDP-MT200 you can still get an acceptable image.

First class service from http://www.projectorscreen.co.uk/ first class screen. :clap: :D :thumbsup:

hi guys looking to get the sp 4805 and was wondering
do the Sapphire Screens come in a 16.9 format

dont want to buy a draper lumar as this has bad comments from everyone

size i am intrested in i aprox 69 inch diagonal although i am willing to go a little larger
thanks in advance

Jon-G you seeme a bit too excited about the screen and the company, sure you don't work for them lol? :rotfl: :) :D

-Alex.

jace22 said:
hi guys looking to get the sp 4805 and was wondering
do the Sapphire Screens come in a 16.9 format

dont want to buy a draper lumar as this has bad comments from everyone

size i am intrested in i aprox 69 inch diagonal although i am willing to go a little larger
thanks in advance

yep - just look for WSF after the model number

My screen came this morning, ordered yesderday, came today! woopy :)
I ordered the SEWS240R biggest screen they do and so far it looks good, I see what guido means about the english translation...here is a sample - "Faults and remote" By hand move the controlling switch operation if nor-mal operate, use the remote to operate it doesn't work.Should check the blast-off if battery lack, replace the new battery. - they sadly don't include a blast-off batter lack, shame as it sounds fun!
That is exactly how it is written in the book lol, there is loads more, me and my brother were in stiches earlier reading it to each other :)

-Alex.

Their website is down at the moment - couldn't get it yesterday and its asking me for a password today?!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom