Question Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + 4GB Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by mkohman, Apr 26, 2018.

1. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,098
    Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could please help me out with something. I have just recently finished building my new HTPC and I am using the AMD Sapphire RX 580 Nitro + 4GB DDR5 as my GPU.

Yesterday was the first time I actually sat and watched my first movie and after 2 hrs I went to turn the HTPC off and just to check the overall temperature or the case etc (Silverstone GD09B) , to my surprise it was extremely hot. I was a little worried so opened up the case to see where the excess heat was coming from. Upon doing so and touching the graphics cards back plate and heat pipes, I realised this was the issue. The Card was so hot I just couldn't understand why.

I installed the Sapphire Trixx software where you can adjust fan speeds etc etc but anything over 50% is too loud. I think at default it's set to Automatic which keeps the fans off up untill around the card reaches 60 degrees then it kicks in.

I just can't understand why this card gets so hot with just movie viewing and nothing else? I haven;t and won't overclock as I am only using for movie viewing. Is this normal? are there any recommendations that you could please suggest or does this sound like I have a possibly faulty card and or shall I replace it ?

Prior to this card I used to have a RX560 4GB and that never put out heat anything near to this card. I am worried and I don't want to have a card pumping out excessive heat everytime I sit to watch a movie..

Your help and advise is greatly appreciated.. Thank you ..

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,476
    Presumably you've gone from a 560 to a 580 because you're using MadVR or something else that uses the main GPU and not just the UVD/VCN video decoding hardware?

If that's the case then I'd call this normal. Processors essentially do computation by converting electricity into heat. In the GPU market higher end cards do more computation primarily by drawing more power rather than being more efficient.

If you are only using UVD/VCN then Techpowerup clocked your card at 19W power consumption. I'd expect that to be a little higher than the 560 and heat up the more conductive parts like the backplate (which the 560 presumably didn't have) and heatpipes but if it's heating up the case too then there may be an issue.

What sort of temperatures/clockspeeds/activity is wattman in radeon settings showing during film playback?

3. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,098
    Thank you for your kind response.. Yes indeed I only use this for my HTPC with madVR settings etc..with 4K HDR movies and 1080p Blu-ray movies.

I think the RX 580 4GB Nitro + fans don't kick in untill it reaches a certain temp which is around 60 degrees and then seems to kick in.. It doesn't heat the case what I meant was, because it becomes very hot the heat spreads throughout the rest of the cases and heat rises which makes the top of my silverstone gd09b hot. I also have it in a closed cabinet with an open back..

I may need to create a custom fan setting within the TRIXX software where the fans are spinning at let's say 35% all the time upto 60 degrees then fans increase to 55% and when reaches 70 to 80 degrees fans spin at 70% or something like this...

However I am hoping in doing so it won't increase anymore than 50 to 60 degrees..

What's your thoughts.. Thank you

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,476
    It sounds like it's behaving as expected then.

It is well worth tinkering with the fan curve to get something that works for you.

Don't be afraid of using lower fan speeds at high GPU temperatures. As long as you've got the ramping up at the end for safety it doesn't make much difference whether the GPU is 55° or 75°.

It won't affect the overall amount of heat output, slower fan speeds and higher temperatures means you're transferring more heat to smaller amounts of air. Once the air diffuses into the case/cabinet/room it'll heat up it's surroundings the same amount.

The other thing you could do is reduce the clockspeeds a bit, The RX 580 Nitro+ is very aggressively clocked and not running at the point of optimum efficiency for the chip. Dropping it to stock RX 480 clockspeeds/voltages alone would save 50W going by Techpowerup's gaming numbers and 470 speeds could potentially halve the heat output. It will come at a small performance cost, around 10-20% depending on how far you go.

5. mkohman

mkohman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,098
    Thank you so much for your help.. I don't know much on how to drop the clock speed and voltage.. Can you please assist with this please? I only use it with madVR when watching movies so I guess I can drop it a little if its going to help with the heat etc.. Thank you..

6. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,476
    I haven't done it on a recent Radeon card so I can't talk you through the specific controls. I'm sure there are guides out there, it's often known as undervolting.

Generally the procedure would be to use something like TRIXX or Wattman to set the clockspeed and voltage. You'd start by setting the GPU clock and GPU voltage to RX 480 levels then test something demanding to make sure it worked. You'd then decrease voltage in small increments, testing each time, until you saw the first problems.

You could then decrease clock speed to make it stable at the lower voltage, or use the last good voltage. Once you've made the decision you'd typically push the voltage back up a notch or two as insurance against variations in workload, room temperature and so on.

This mainly applies to the highest clockspeed/voltage state used when the GPU is going full tilt but you can optimise the others too.

I'm not sure about the memory on the RX 580. I know the GPU chip is the same as the 480 but they may have changed the memory chips, they can vary between boards as well. Memory should work the same way - you can downclock as much as you want but go slowly and test each step when decreasing the voltage.