Sapphire Radeon 7000 64MB PCI

shlunk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm putting together my first HCPC using a Dell Optiplex, which doesn't have a AGP slot.. I spotted this Radeon on Ebuyer.com, which is PCI and has TV-out. Does it look any good? Has anyone here tried one

Does anyone know of any other PCI TV-out cards I could try (around the same price if possible)

Thanks,
Andy

I have an AGP one of these in my Shuttle SS51. Obviously the 3d performance in games is nothing special but as a HCPC card it is perfect.

I haven't had a chance to do a direct comparison of the TV-OUT with anything else but it looks great on my TV and the Radeon cards are regarded as being the best for TV-OUT.

I can only second that opinion. Radeon TV-out is excellent at this price point.

Don't worry about the PCI interface. It won't bottleneck your system with this card.

Big A

Cannot agree with the above. I used (still have, actually) a Radeon 9000 PCI. Going to AGP for things like Dscaler made a big difference. Stopped using anywhere near as much CPU. The 9000 still worked ok, but the 9500 I have now was definitely worth it.

Sorry, I meant a direct AGP/PCI comparison with the 9000 alone. It made no difference really.

The 9500 was a huge leap from the 9000 performance wise.

Big A

With the pci on the Radeon 9000 I could not run Dscaler with my tv card at anywhere near the suggested optimum resolution of 768. Had to reduce it a lot, and am sure it was only due to the pci bus. Cannot imagine the 7000 being any better. Of course if you must have pci and the 7000 is all you want to pay then Radeons are well thought of cards and am sorry for wetting your appetite to get something better. Just thought you should be aware that there may be some compromise if you start using it for other HTPC-related things.

Cheers
Andy

Cheers for the comments guys!

As I mentioned, I only have PCI slots, one of which is probably going to get a nice MAudio 7.1 soundcard. You mentioned a Radeon 9000 PCI card - would I see a large benefit over a 7000 with one of these? Where are they available from, and how much am I likely to pay for one?

Thanks again,

Andy

Whoops! Let's start again!

7000PCI - If you are not planning on playing games this is fine. The PCI interface did NOT limit the card's performance.

9000PCI - Good card but interface did bottleneck the capabilities of the card which was not the case with the 9000AGP

9500AGP - Step up again.

Remember: If you want to play decent modern games, you need an AGP card and there's no point pushing the boat out for a high end PCI card at this stage only to upgrade later when you upgrade your motherboard/PC.

Link for 9000 PCI

Well, I'm not really planning on playing newer games on this PC; it'll just be for watching movies, and maybe playing some older games (eg arcade or Spectrum emulators), so I think I may as well go for the 7000 PCI

Thanks for your help guys!

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom