Sapphire Radeon 5700XT with Intel

Rob_Meister

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Having agreed to build a gaming PC for my nephew I have having a rather frustrating time with it.

The PC I am working with is:
Intel i7 9700KF, Asus prime z390p, 2x8GB crucial vengeance, Corsair force m.2 and Corsair 850w PSU. I'm running a fresh install of windows 10 with all updates.

I installed with this a sapphire pulse 5700XT and let windows install drivers. However, it began crashing without any load (just leaving on desktop would crash and go to black screen).

I have determined that no issue with components by switching the 5700xt around with my machine which has a 2080. When doing this both machines run perfectly under stress testing and some gaming, so the issue only exists when putting the 5700XT in the above machine.

Nothing is overclockedI, I've tried undervolting, 2 seperate PSU cables connected to GPU, specified PCIe 3 in bios, updated bios, chipset drivers and installed adrenaline with latest recommended drivers.

So currently at a loss as to what else can try. Any suggestions here most appreciated.

I've also monitored temps and power consumption and everything is normal. As I say, the crashing is happening without any load at all.

Last edited:
Purely a wild guess, try removing the NVMe and install windows to SATA SSD/HDD and see if its any more stable.

I'd try contacting Sapphire tech support on the off chance they can help, also if there is an error message logged in windows event viewer when it crashes include that when you contact them.

As I say, the crashing is happening without any load at all.

Does it happen under load too though? If it only happens when idling it could be a standby issue.

Undervolting is running the CPU closer to some of it's limits, so should be considered the same as overclocking in a troubleshooting context.

What is it that's crashing exactly? What do the windows logs show?

Worth trying Display Driver Uninstaller just in case it's a bad driver install, they occasionally happen.

Thanks for responses. I've not used DDU, but opted rather to completely format the NVMe and reinstall windows from fresh.

I've checked logs and just rather unhelpful volmgr critical errors and errors creating dump logs.

Reached out to sapphire yesterday so will update if I hear from them. Intend tonight switching PSU with another one.

Switched PSU with one in the other machine and same issue with crashing after about 30 minutes left on desktop.

In terms of crashing under load... I was able to run furmark stress test for 20 mins without a problem, but crashed quite soon after stopping that. So currently only had crash when not under load.

Removed m.2 and currently installing windows OS on sata HDD to test without that. Might make a difference as both share PCIe lanes I guess

So installed clean OS onto HDD and everything was running fine, then installed AMD drivers for video card and it asked to reboot to complete installation. Crashed during reboot and then within minutes of restarting.

Sapphire have responded to my ticket this morning advising I contact motherboard manufacturer for new BIOS update that improves stability.

It is sounding like it could be a motherboard issue.

I'd try the card in the other PCI-E 16x slot.

Yes. I've contacted Asus about the issue, advising that the GPU works in a different machine without any issues whatsoever.

The machine works fine in safe mode and prior to drivers being installed.

Nothing to lose by trying in the other PCIe lane, but on basis that lane works fine when installing another GPU I cannot imagine it making any difference.

Will certainly try anything though!

Currently using the PC with the card sitting in the other PCiE slot. So far so good, but will browse the web for an hour to see what happens.

If still running after that then things will certainly be looking promising. I'm not very hopeful though as can't see why nvidia card would run happily in the 1st slot but the Radeon wouldn't.

So fingers crossed it is looking positive.

Currently running in 2nd PCIe slot, with updated Beta drivers and the m.2 removed.

So all being well I will put the m.2 back in tomorrow and clean install OS and install latest AMD beta drivers (which previously avoided due to being beta).

Hopefully the issue isn't power sharing between m.2 and GPU.

So for whatever reason putting in second PCIe slot resolved the issue.

Not sure why my nvidia GPU worked in the First slot but the Radeon didn't, but at least it's resolved.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom