1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SanyoPLV30 v PT-AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Me, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I currently use a Sanyo plv-30 projector which I love and can not fault, especially for what it cost. I need to get a second projector for a new media room. My first choice would be another Sanyo however this Panasonic PTAE100 sound interesting. Is it a better projector than the Sanyo? They are priced very closely. I could save a few pounds on the Panny , but if the Sanyo is far better, then it is extra money well spent. Any thoughts.
    Mark.

2. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Emmmmmmmmm, I have the AE100, my Brother has the PLV-30.
    We have never done a side by side comparison, but I would choose the AE100 as it has a 16:9 panel, and it is quieter.
    Out of the box, the AE100 blows the PLV-30 to bit's, but once calibrated, the PLV look's pretty good, The PLV has a contrast of 400, the AE100 is 500, but we cannot see a differance.
    I would have to say screen door is about the same.
    I think the PLV may have slightly better video proccessing, but the AE isn't bad.
    One thing that puts me of the PLV (in componant) is the vertical lines I can see on sky scenes, it really did put me of, and gets worse with s-video and composite.
    PLV-30 is about £1800 (lamps around £300 2000hr lamp life)
    The Ae100 is about £1400 (lamps around £150 5000 hr lamp life)
    I know which one I would go for.
    If your unsure wait a couple of month's it should be easy to get a demo of the AE then, after the mad rush for everyone to get one as died down.

3. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should wait for the HCC write up when the next issue goes on sale on the 21st!. If it gets Best Buy, then i think you can get the Panny, but they must have cut corners on the Panny somewhere

4. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Update

We did a quick side by side comparison today with the Sanyo and the Panny in s-video, software was The Gladiator region 2.
    The contrast was about even, colour's were close, maybe the Panny was a little better.
    We found the video proccessing on the Sanyo was very good in s-video, but we could see vertical lines.
    The video proccessing on the Panny didn't seem as good, there was a slight ringing effect to object's, but it wasn't off putting.

If you are happy with the Sanyo, and you dont mind it being a 4:3 projector, get yourself another one, but if you want 16:9 go for the Panny.
    I believe What video gave it 4 1/2 out of 5 star's, in the latest issue, this mag is made by the same company as Home Cinema Choice.

5. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sanyo has a 16:9 mode and displays widescreen. I have seen a demo. Its on par with one of the Sim Pj's

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have the sanyo...... i wouldnt go as far as saying that it is as good as a sim, cause i dont think its even close, but its a very nice projector. There is no way on earth anyone could persuade me to change it to the panny!

BUT!!! If i was buying a pj from fresh, i would be giving the panny alot of thought, mostly due to the cost.

ad