Sanyo Z5 or Benq W500 - What do I buy?

D

dci

Hello and congratulations, this is an amazing site and I learn a lot with you, guys :thumbsup:
I need some help here, I going to buy my 1st Projector and I dont know what to choose, the Sanyo Z5 or the Benq W500
(after reading a lot, I stay with this two options :confused: )
I have a HT room with full light control (no windows) and I going to use the PJ almost for viewing SD DVD's
and conect it to a PC to watch HD content and play some games.
Here in my country they are at the same price, What do you sugest???
:lease: Help me and thanks for any advice.

Hard question that.

The noise level is lower on the Sanyo and the warrenty is better I would also imagine the black level would be better.

hi, have you seen this review;?

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=7081

i have the z2 but was shocked when i read this review, it puts the z5 at the bottom of the pile!
i am sticking with my z2 for now, then may be in the future get a 1080p pj!

:cool:

Yes I did read that bull review .... and still bought it! - if you read all the other reviews, they can't praze the projector enough .... this review/article has actually been discussed somewhere else before about how some of the information was misleading and inaccurate .... take a look at projector-reviews.com:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sanyo/plv-z5/index.php

Honestly go and see a Z5 setup and you'll soon realise how 'garbage' that review is. Also from what I've heard Z2/Z3 owners who have made the switch to the Z5 have noticed dramtic improvements that made their switch worthwile!

http://projectorcentral.com/part_opinions_details.cfm?opinion_id=10370

http://projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z5-user-reviews.htm

Again home cinema choice has its own opinions, you can go with that if you want, or trust a site where all they do is test out projectors against one another, nothing else , * cough * Projector Reviews.com

How about this:

http://reviews.avsforum.com/showproduct.php?product=621

I had a quick read - it is certainly an impressive projector, well matched with the Z5 so I can see you predicament.

The only thing I would say is how important placement is - according to that review its lens shifting is limited - but if you have a dedicated place for it then your good to go :D

That HCC review has a printing error in it regarding the Z5. If you look at the review for the Z5 itself they give it 4 1/2 stars, but on the comparison it's suddenly only got 3 1/2. With 4 1/2 it's joint first with the AX100 & IN78.

Also, part of their rating is based on the price and they quote the Z5 at £1645 and the AX100 at £1000. Hardly surprising they don't think the Z5 is good value at that price!!!

If it had been reviewed based on the real price of £630 I'm sure HCC would have given it 5 stars.

That HCC review has a printing error in it regarding the Z5. If you look at the review for the Z5 itself they give it 4 1/2 stars, but on the comparison it's suddenly only got 3 1/2. With 4 1/2 it's joint first with the AX100 & IN78.

Also, part of their rating is based on the price and they quote the Z5 at £1645 and the AX100 at £1000. Hardly surprising they don't think the Z5 is good value at that price!!!

If it had been reviewed based on the real price of £630 I'm sure HCC would have given it 5 stars.

thank you. :)

Im also currently using a sanyo z2, (waiting for the orignal bulb to go), and have been so impressed with the z2 that my persoanl pref would be the z5. Especailly at its current retail price of under 1/2 what i original paid for a z2.

Well.. I've banded my thoughts around on the Z5 ever since I got it so might as well stick my nose in here too.. :rotfl:

You can't go wrong with the Z5.. honestly it blows away anything in its price range and matches many a model above its "class". Forget that review.. know thats hard to listen to when its just coming from a joe blogs instead of a respected publication but they've definately made a mistake there. It's probably the sharpest 720p model around and once you get it set up and dialed in it'll put out a picture thats just oustanding. £900 would be good value for it..let alone £640. I got lucky and got a free lamp voucher thrown in as well due to a pricing error at the time which just made it a complete steal really... about £140 for a bulb means I really paid about £500 delivered for it...
:arty:

Well.. I've banded my thoughts around on the Z5 ever since I got it so might as well stick my nose in here too.. :rotfl:

You can't go wrong with the Z5.. honestly it blows away anything in its price range and matches many a model above its "class". Forget that review.. know thats hard to listen to when its just coming from a joe blogs instead of a respected publication but they've definately made a mistake there. It's probably the sharpest 720p model around and once you get it set up and dialed in it'll put out a picture thats just oustanding. £900 would be good value for it..let alone £640. I got lucky and got a free lamp voucher thrown in as well due to a pricing error at the time which just made it a complete steal really... about £140 for a bulb means I really paid about £500 delivered for it...
:arty:

Im glad you went in a got one, I think a lot people worry about the negatives of the Z5 - its price point seems to cheap compared to the competition so it must have significant flaws to make up for the price drop ..... couldn't be further from the truth! Cracking bit of kit and explains why the Z-series are such popular models.

Im glad you went in a got one, I think a lot people worry about the negatives of the Z5 - its price point seems to cheap compared to the competition so it must have significant flaws to make up for the price drop ..... couldn't be further from the truth! Cracking bit of kit and explains why the Z-series are such popular models.

I tried a Panny AX100 and it had to go.
I have a Z5 too and for the price you cannot go wrong.
I also got a lamp voucher and a free camcorder (sold for £130 on eBay).

It is a great projector and you won't be dissapointed. :thumbsup:

I tried a Panny AX100 and it had to go.
I have a Z5 too and for the price you cannot go wrong.
I also got a lamp voucher and a free camcorder (sold for £130 on eBay).

It is a great projector and you won't be dissapointed. :thumbsup:

What was wrong with the Panny? - if you mentioned any other projector in the class I could understand but the Panny is supposed to be the closest competitor to the Z5, probably the difference in sharpness right?

We persevered with the AX100 for a few weeks before changing to the Z5.

The SmoothScreen technology on the AX100 softened the picture and we preferred the sharper image from the Z5.

Thanks to all the advices, guys :thumbsup:

I end up to buy the Benq W500, and its all about i was expecting.
EXCELLENT PJ for the money.
FANTASTIC image :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom