1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z4 opinion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jwolvy, Oct 18, 2005.

1. jwolvy

jwolvy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI all,

First post on here.

Got a Z4 over the weekend. This is my first projector. All I can say is that you can go round and round reading all the different opinions on these forums, but at the end of the day I am STUNNED at the picture quality of the Z4 for the price of it. This is on a magnolia wall aswell, haven't ordered a screen yet.

I was thinking about a H79 but I can't see how the price difference can warrant it unless you are really into your films in a big way. You can buy a Z4, keep it a couple of years and then see what's out then. Whats the worst it's going to cost you - £700? Technology is moving so fast at the moment but you can't wait for ever to buy.

I also have a Pioneer 43" plasma and the Z4 picture is the same quality but 100" :D All my friends are amazed by it.

My message is if you want a projector to enjoy films and games, etc just go and get a Z4 you won't be dissapointed. You can spend ages reading opinions and you just end up totally confused. Life is too short!

Like I said this is my first projector so sorry if I seem a little keen, but I think a lot of people are in my position and are missing out by spending ages reading everybody's opinions when they could just be enjoying their projector.

Sorry if this forum is more technical than maybe my opinion counts for but I'm just happy with my Z4.

P.S. I got great service from Ivojo and would recommend them. Ordered Thursday - arrived Saturday with free pixel check.

Wolvy

2. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Good first post Wolvy and welcome to the forums.

Don't worry about the technical level of your mini review, you've made more sense than a lot of the more technical threads that seem to end up endlessly going around in circles!

Glad you're happy with the Z4 - now if only my Panny PJ could have "an accident" in the near future, I'll probably be heading for one too :)

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Bring it round to my house, it'll be dead before the night is out :devil: .

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Unfortunately you'll find a lot of people slating LCD technology in particular and doom-mongering about dead pixels, VB, SDE, dust, and poor contrast. Only this evening I've been trying put forward the opinion that some people actually buy 'em, switch 'em on and enjoy! A concept which seems lost on many. Good to see you are enjoying your PJ. I've had mine nearly a year and the pleasure doesn't diminish...PJ :smashin:

5. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Heya, nice to read this type of post. I remember when i got my first projector and was gob smacked at the quality. Everybody who see's your projector will want one btw, its just how it works :D

Anim

6. slartyb

slartyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well put. I'm also enjoying my Z4 immensely - just getting on watching films with it. Everyone who sees it is initially impressed and then more importantly loses themselves in the performance.

Some of the Z4/LCD stuff posted here recently has struck me me as a tad hysterical.

7. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Everyone to there own, people [me included i'm afraid :D ] tend to defend their purchase. This can easily lend itself to a silly slagging match..DLP :devil: :mad: better than LCD :devil: :mad: etc
    I have owned my projector for over 8 months now and its amazing how swiftly the market changes with PJ models, mine has had 2 facelifts now but i doubt if the differance is huge or atleast not enough to cough up £2000+again.
    I still love DLP but agree there is some fantastic LCD models out now, I viewed both before deciding and will do the same again hopefully in the distant future :lesson:
    Could very well get a LCD next :eek: but i suspect DLP prices will tumble and hopefully to compete 3 chipper models will become affordable ...Good for us punters though :smashin:..Oh and and a good reason for me not to slag a older technology pushing the quality envelope to its limits.

8. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well I've just watched "XFiles - Fight The Future" on my AE100, the picture was dark, lacking contrast, noisy, and.... a lot of fun to watch, so there! :D

Oh, please don't flame me for my film choice... :suicide:

9. ShortNick

ShortNick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jwolvy, welcome to the big world of PJs. Had one for 2 years and would never go back to a small screen. Ordered my Z4 today, should be here Thu along with Batman Begins - can't wait. Replacing a Z1, due to lack of HDTV connectivity, will post a comparison over the weekend.

10. Ianf

Ianf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about bl**dy time on this forum - what it should be about enjoying movies rather than endless nitpick'in over fine'r points of detail.

11. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I had my Z4 since Friday.. and bar a bit of tweaking time, have got in 12 hours of movies..

I have a normal front room, white ceiling, yellow walls, etc, but the contrast and black level considering are better then I ever expected, so much so, I didi a quick initial DVE setup and just enjoyed it..

Out of the box, I think this is a superb bit of kit... if it can equal/beat a Z3 that has had every filter/tweak thrown at it with many many hours of effort put in, it just means us mere mortals have something we don't need to spend hours messing with..

12. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Those who want to enjoy their projectors go for it. They're all fantastic in the scheme of things.

Those who want to cream every last ounce of performance from them are equally justified in doing so, and I can assure you once it starts it's hard to stop.

Thing is if we all didn't have some sort of standards we would not be in here and all be watching 3" B/W caravan teles ...

13. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    OI!

leave off caravan tellies - I've just plugged mine into the mains and the picture is amazing! :)
    Stu.

14. Jeremy_a

Jeremy_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to agree. I watched Alien Resurection last night on my (new to me) Pany AE200E. The picture quality was great :thumbsup:

15. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,830
    What are you doing wasting time reading the endless nitpicking threads then?;)

16. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ivojo's page does not list the Panasonic AE900 or 700 as one of the top ten! Why?
    Is is it that bad?

17. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    This is due to lack of availability rather than a bad projector. We'll be updating our page views top ten later today - where the Panasonic will appear - but it may be a while before it appears in the top ten selling list.

18. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ivojo

Why is there a lack of availability? is it the fact that it is selling well and that panasonic can not keep up with demand?

19. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    ^bump

20. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Why bump a thread only 2 minutes after your last post??? Patience is a virtue!

Lack of availability is due to the fact it is only being shipped to suppliers this week AFAIK.

21. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    No. Judging by the lack of posts on the forums from people purchasing the 900's it looks like it is just Pansonic themselves not having enough. This could be due to stock going to other countries or it may be due to there being more similar projectors on the market (the Z4, TX200, EMP-TW520 and 600 etc.) than there were last time round and Panasonic not wanting to over stock.

22. wyrdness

wyrdness

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I rode down to Krish (www.krishav.co.uk) yesterday, as they're only a few minutes away from where I work (and have a convenient motorcycle park across the street). They said that they have stock of AE-900's which are selling like hot cakes, but that they won't be getting Z4's until the end of the month. This seems to be almost the opposite of Ivojo. Krish don't have a demo AE-900 yet, as they're selling all of the units that they get in, so they said that I'd have to wait a few weeks if I want to see a side-by-side demo of the AE-900 and the Z4.

23. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    gingercat i bumped it cause there was a problem on the forum site when i posted it, my reply was not showing up as the last response, nothing to do with patience

24. jamiev

jamiev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    i was blown away by the z2 and i still am, god only knows how the z4 would be, i love my pj, best thing i ever bought in my life!!!!