1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z4 Open Day

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by benjiP, Oct 3, 2005.

1. benjiP

benjiP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently had a good experience buying my Z3 from Nexnix, I wanted to let you know that they are having a Z4 open day soon. Info here: http://www.nexnix.co.uk/

Do give feedback, anyone that goes.

Cheers.

2. cedge

cedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    £1100 too.

3. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    it's been that price across all dealers tbh

4. p.booth

p.booth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Lets get it right fellas : :) It`s £1099 + vat which comes out at £1291.33. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to hearing afew reviews after the open day.

5. cedge

cedge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Oops, forgot about the VAT :(

6. mrbcool

mrbcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it really 7000:1 contrast?

Also will it push the prices down on the Z3, cheapest I've seen the Z3 is £821 inc vat.

7. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Unfortunatly the Z3 is probably sold out now. Same for the AE700. You can try tho.

Anim

8. mrbcool

mrbcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some places claim to have it in stock, should I get one ASAP if so?

9. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Yes - if you can find one, grab it now. There's been a lot of discussion about this on the forums over the last few weeks, and they're not going to get any cheaper.

10. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i phoned a few places yesterday to order a z3 every were had sold out so im goin to wait for the z4 to be released and put the extra

wallzy

11. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Don't forget if you're thinking of getting a Z3 and manage to find one in stock that all those dead pixel check rejects must be lurking out there somewhere...

12. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1291.33 everywhere and apparently price fixing is illegal...:rolleyes:

13. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We don't deal in Sanyo, but I think it's fair to say from what I know that the price is the lowest any of the dealers could sell for without loosing money.

Accusations of price fixing only hold water where there is an artificial amount of profit being made, not where going below a price would be :suicide:

14. Member 14847

Member 14847

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Price fixing is when a group of sellers gather together and agree to sell a product at a particular price. Just so I have it clear in my head, are you accusing a group of Sanyo dealers of breaking the law by agreeing to artificially fix a price on the Z4 projector?

15. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Agreed (from a member of the publics point of view) having different stores, in different parts of the country, all paying different rates, with different numbers of staff on different wage levels with different boss's who have different lifestyles and their own different (personal) needs in life.

It does alway seem rather strange how a £1000+ item is price the same within £0.01p

16. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm not surprised the prices appear the same.

A lot of suppliers probably pay the same rate for the PJs as they probably buy in the same sort of quantities. After that, it's simple maths whacking the store's standard mark up % on the item. Most stores dealing on-line have about the same mark up 'cos they've got to stay competetive.

17. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    That may be the case but where SH is going with his point (albeit abruptly) is that the so-called competition that is supposed to exists between dealers becomes that trivial that you could argue that the price has been fixed without the sellers actually physically getting together and agreeing.

It happens on lots of kit, for instance mountain bikes where the manufacturer will come down hard on a retailer for discounting the bike to the point of losing his franchise if they don't toe the line. And I can speak first hand at this. That is in essense a price fix and approaching a cartel which we know is illegal, but due to the politics involved cartels are very rarely prosecuted.

I know the trade price of the Z4, and the margins are tiny - but SHs point still stands, maybe his criticism should lie with the manufacturer?

18. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    R0ne,

Good points made, and yes the MFR does really dictate the street price by setting trade prices, competition is so tight that retailers watch each other downwards, pound for pound.

Personally I would like to see SH put his own money forward, open up a dealership and sell Z4's for less than the cost advertised by said retailers. Let's see the fat profits and lavish lifestyle he would enjoy, or perhaps inevitable bankrupcy :eek:

As you say the margins are wafer thin. Lets give the retailers credit for attempting to provide the product at realistic cost, whilst offering a good level of service.

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    "We've been here before" is my intuitive reaction to Sainthalo's comment about price-fixing. The reality is that the "wholesale" price is set by the distributor and retail sellers are operating at similar and (pretty low) margins. Dealers are sometimes able to secure special deals from distributors and hence there are occasional special offers, such as the recent deal on the Z3.

I think the abruptness of Sainthalo's post isn't really warranted, and sails pretty close to accusing forum sponsors with good well-earned reputations of illegal practice, and easy way to get banned. I have had the happy experience of dealing with Ken Davies of Ivojo to get my recently acquired Z3 - it was a pleasure to deal with someone who had the hallmark of an enthusiast, was willing to discuss the merits of different models without being pushy and was great on communications, given that I was buying "blind" from another country.

I have also spent time nattering with Ben Miller of discounttv and would recommend him unhesitatingly, other forum members have had great things to say about the likes of Nexnix, Jeff Paynter and others, all forum sponsors.

There is more to dealing in this business than the "bottom line", and the obvious enthusiasm and interest in this hobby that I experienced with Ken Davies for me far outweighs any minor differential (or lack thereof) in the final price.

Can you buy a given projector cheaper somewhere in the world than from most UK based retailers ? Probably, but there is no substitute in my eyes for dealing with an informed and enthusiastic dealer who is prepared to spend time discussing things with you and who has a proven reputation for helping to sort things out if the need arises.

Sean G.

20. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Considering the price of the Z3 / AE700 etc less than 12 months ago a shade under £1300 doesn't look extortionate to me. Especially considering these PJs do look to be much more than a simple cosmetic upgrade exercise...PJ

21. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i paid 1500 for my z1!!!!
    so 1300 for something loads better is a bargain!

22. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Abrupt he may have been but he's only voicing an opinion that many others may share here on the forum. If saying something that doesn't tow the "forum sponsors line" is going to get someone banned then this isn't the forum I thought it was, not by a long stretch :nono:

23. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To help those that have an oversimplified understanding of The Competition Act 1998; it contains two prohibitions over a number of practices not only agreements.

Chapter I prohibition - prohibits agreements between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings or concerted practices which have the object or effect of preventing, restricting or distorting competition within the UK (or any part of it) and which may affect trade within the UK (or any part of it)

Chapter II prohibition - prohibits conduct by one or more undertakings which amounts to the abuse of a dominant position in a market which may affect trade within the UK (or any part of it).

I would also make it clear that if my short one line comment which is purely posted to express my concern/surprise that the price is the same down to the penny has caused any offence to any particular person then I apologise profusely. I have been a member of this forum for 3 or 4 years and have no desire to offend anyone.

Now back to enjoying my Z3 (purchased on the basis of guidance from these forums) with ROnes latest CC30R settings (posted here on the forums - thanks ROne - Prison Break HR HDTV AC3 Ep7 looks awesome!).

24. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Any chance we can have a Z4 topic that is actually about the Z4 rather than another drawn out argument about retailers and prices?

25. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does Ivojo do demos? Can't find details on website or maybe it's my poor observation.

Ben's too far away for me though Nexnix are reachable.