Sanyo Z4 from Pixmania

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by duncanr, Jan 12, 2008.

1. duncanr

duncanr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi folks
    Noticed the well-reviewed Z4 at Pixmania, for £597 (I know it's the older model, but the Z5's still a bit too much), so a couple of questions.

1 I know Pixmania sell European equipment, and supposedly their stuff comes with Euro adapters. However, I run a projector off a UPS supply, via a 'kettle lead' - will a European Z4 plug straight into a UK UPS via a similar lead, or will I need a kettle lead adaptor? (if such a thing exists).

2 This company has a really bad rep on the web - am I mad to consider buying anything from them?

3 Anyone have a better suggestion for an LCD projector at about this price point? (No DLP -I get rainbows bad)

Thanks guys

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    People will always be quick to share their horror stories when thing go wrong and rarely speak up for a company when things go right :)

That said, they did seem to go through a bad period and whether that bad period is behind them I don't know, would suggest doing a search on here, at the end of the day only you can decide ;)

3. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Used them twice - including my Sanyo Z5 in black... items arrived ontime ....although I did select express delivery as I wouldn't want to know how long standard delivery would of taken.

On the whole I'm happy - Z5 came with a european 'moulded' plug... no probs tho just snipped it off and added a uk style plug!

4. spooney

spooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I guess you know Pixmania is a French company although they have a UK subsidary which of course is virtual.

This means when something brakes during warranty you have to sent your pj back to France. This will take a while.

They will send you a device with the right plugs.

As Zone said: You will hear all kind of horror stories about almost all Internet shops. I never ordered something from them although I am familiar with this shop for many years. Although not sientific I think most people are happy with them.

Regarding Z4 and Z5: If you are really in need for the second HDMI (I still did not understand what you would need it for) you should go for the Z5.
    The faster but still too slow auto-iris is something I would switch of first except you like a pumping picture from dark to light scenes ;)
    These are all the differences.

5. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Actually Pixmania are now part of the DSG group (Dixons/Currrys et al)..

That's not to say they can be a PITA with customer service..

I bought a bargain priced 28" PC Monitor a few months back, and had no issues, had to RMA it, and no issues..

I assume the DSG group will be having their influence on them.. my Monitor was shipped from a UK warehouse..

I've though of upgrading my Z4 a few times, but I've set it up reasonably well, the Auto iris never seems to annoy me, and is not overtly intrusive for the films I watch..

The Z5 and newer do have better contrast etc.. and it's always worth considering a second hand AE900/Z5 for reasonable money on the for sale section!.

6. duncanr

duncanr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for your help, guys - well informed as ever. I also noticed a Z4 from Pixmania on ebay last week, which eventually sold for £490, so maybe I'll have a punt if they put a few more on there.

Cheers:thumbsup:

7. Flanners

Flanners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ..........for another £70 you can get a Z5?

8. Flanners

Flanners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    some of the Z4 to Z5 differences:

Contrast has been improved over the Z4. Black levels are deeper and highlights are brighter. For dark theater situations, we recommend closing the iris halfway. This cuts extraneous lumen output and greatly improves black level, making the Z5 competitive with some single-chip DLP home theater projectors in dark room settings.

Possibly the Z5's greatest improvement comes in color performance. Even using out of the box settings, the Z5 produced extremely accurate color with better saturation. Color from every source we tested was rich and accurate. Grayscale tracking measured within 100 degrees Kelvin of 6500K from 30IRE up through 80IRE, with 90 and 100IRE showing a bit more warmth and dropping towards 5900K. This is exceptional performance from any projector, and is all but unheard of from a budget LCD projector like the PLV-Z5.

From projectorcentral.

Sanyo have recently lowered the price to make this projector a real bargain at this price, we have stock on site available to deliver the next day. If you have a room where you can control the light then this is an unbeatable option and we feel its the best 720p HD Ready home cinema projector (regardless of price) available!!

projectorpoint