1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z3 Vs Pioneer 868AVi

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Geesus, May 25, 2005.

1. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Received my spanking new 868 this morning and OMG at the AV quality via HDMI :eek:

My question though regards the quality of the progressive scan technology of the 868 in comparison with the Z3's - should I just be pumping an interlaced signal into the Sanyo, and let it take care of matters, or does the 868 have the better technology?

What a player though - I thought the 737 was good...this is mindblowingly so - best £600 I've ever spent :thumbsup:

Not sure how it is related, but this new player also seems to completely rid the image of any vertical banding issues I thought I had with my Z3 - could the problem actually be related to the player rather than the PJ? Does this account for certain people seeing it and others not?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Try the 868 in 720 mode, and see how it looks with the Z3 in native or pixel perfect mode (I don;t know what it calls it). Then try it at 576 or 480 and see how the Z3 scales it. You should then be able to decide which loks best.

I've seen the 868 on various Sim2 projectors (at RTFMs place), and it's the next best thing to HTPC IMHO. Fantastic picture quality.

There was an explanation of VB somewhere, and it's down to the projectors display electronics. It can vary from machine to machine apparently, so if you don't see it, you've a good one. :)

Gary.

3. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Thanks Gary.

I only asked about the banding because I see it when using my 575 but not with this new 868, with the only difference being the component outputs used on the 575...I haven't tried the 868 with component yet, but *could* the player produce these artifacts rather than the PJ?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    If you're getting from one source and not another, it's quite possible it can be made worse by the player. There are some here with more knowledge of VB than me, so hopfully they'll chime in with some better info for you.

Gary.

5. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    I have the 868 and connect it to my AE700 at 720p HDMI. I feel that this produces the best picture there's no extra processing going on other than what the player is doing itself and this can only be good.

Whilst the banding has been reduced, although in all honesty I can't rightly say if it was the change of player from my 575 as I received the 868 and the newly upgraded AE700 on the same day, it has not been totally eradicated. It is however very minimal. The HDMI cable you are using as well might have some effect on the banding although I have yet to test this. Once my bank balance goes back up a bit I intend purchasing a BetterCables HDMI as opposed to the Molex I am currently using.

Ultimately the 868 gives a stunning picture. The best, by far, I have ever seen coming from a DVD player.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

6. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    So you would set res @ 1280x720 rather than the highest interlaced resolution - that's how I've been running it thus far and it looks just stunning.

Do you have progressive scan enabled on the 868 or is your AE700 doing all the work Keith?

7. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +814
    I have progressive on the 868, the AE700 is simply projecting and nothing more.

I did have the 868 set to 1080i for a wee while and whilst good I didn't notice any picture improvements over 720p. I then opted for 720p thinking the AE700 would not have to go through the process of scaling back to 720.

KH

[EDIT] - Apologises if you have been waiting on a reply earlier, but I was watching a minor football match :clap:

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    One thing to note is that if you are connecting via HDMI, the progressive option is negated.

Check out this link regarding my 868 and its path to my SIM2 30H via HDMI -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213015

Cheers,

Pete.

9. Geesus

Geesus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    I'm probably just imagining it, but running @ 1080i seems to be giving me a far better image, with a distinct decrease in noticeable edge-enhancement and film grain - could be perhaps a side-effect of a slight softening of the image, but it looks better so I'm keeping it :)