1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z3 or panasonic AE700?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pellepeloton, Aug 6, 2005.

1. pellepeloton

pellepeloton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking at getting a projector for watching movies, playing games etc. I may be plugging it into an HTPC also, depending on budget.

So which do i go for? The sanyo seems to be around £20 but although I've heard it comes with a spare bulb voucher, theres no mention of it on the UK sites i've looked at.

So which is best? Any vast differences between the two I should be aware of?

2. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
  3. pellepeloton

pellepeloton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just ordered my BenQ 7700 from ivojo, the guy's very helpful. Seems to have a good rep on here too :)

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I just ordered a Z3 from Ivojo for my brother. I figured at that price and with a free bulb too it was a better option than the Panasonic.

6. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    No competition at the current price of the Z3 with the free lamp, it's an absolute bargain! It always was better than the AE700 in my view (and I've had both), quieter, better lens shift and sharper picture. Anyone who buys and AE700 at the moment instead of the Z3 must be mad

Andy

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Panny does tend to get better reviews than the Z3. Projector centrals summary:-
    'The AE700 sells for a few hundred dollars more than the Z3. Based upon our comparative review, this price differential is justified.'
    and on sharpness (they do need time to bed in):-
    'side by side viewing with the Z3 the AE700 actually edges the Z3 in image sharpness.'
    not quite as mad as you may think then?? :rolleyes:
    Although saying this I (a 700 owner) do have to admit that at around £150 cheaper than the 700 with a 3 year warranty the Z3 is an absolute bargain, and well worth the dosh! :clap:

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,699
    I've had both and the Z3 was at least as good as the AE700 in terms of PQ but was quieter and has a better lens shift, for me the Z3 is the better buy.

Andy

9. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have to admit , if I wasn't a current 700 owner I would probably go for the z3 because of the warranty and spare bulb, absolutely cracking deal and a bit cheaper than the 700. IMOH 700 is still a better machine though.

10. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own an AE700 and if I had to buy today, then the Z3 would be pretty hard to turn down - nearly £200 cheaper and you get a spare bulb.

Two things that would make me consider the AE700 (considering the difference in price) are (a) the smoothscreen technology - it's truly amazing what it does - you practically have to put your nose to the screen to see the panel structure (screen door), and (b) the slightly greater light output. But given the price... I think I would go for the Z3.

If you sit less than 1.5x the width of the screen from the image, then the AE700 might be better (because you will definitely see the screen door effect on the Z3 at this distance) - it all depends on how much this will bother you though. And even then, most people can live with a slight defocus to get over that.

I can't believe how much you can get for your money these days - incredible! Whatever you opt for, you will not be disappointed one little bit.

11. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And simple filter mod with rone/andys settings from z3 avsforum/this forum tweak thread get you even better PQ out of it :) Ofcourse most ppl are just happy without filters.

At current price Z3 is amazing deal.

12. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    I've got a Z3 and an 8ft wide 16:9 screen and I sit about 13ft away from it and don't see one shred of pixel structure (except maybe on games, but that's the console's lack of resolution, not the Z3's).

Regards

Mark

13. pellepeloton

pellepeloton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    went for the panasonic in the end. If it was my money I'd have gone for the cheaper Z3, but as its not I won't complain :D

14. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Interesting, I'd have thought with that "pixel smearing" they do on the 700 to reduce SDE that it would impact sharpness to a degree. I've seen many (perhaps ironic) comments that you can do it on all LCDs simply by knocking off the focus a touch.

The 700 got quite a battering with its VB issues initially but with later firmware I can well believe it's an attractive package.

Remembering that both were significantly more expensive only a matter of months ago they are both a bargain. But the bulb and the warranty give the Z3 a clear advantage at the moment...PJ :)

15. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I was quoting 'Projector Central's' review of the 2 machines and agree with the bargain bit. Still, as I stated nearly all reviews say the Panny is the better machine. Saying that if I had to buy tomorrow I may go for the Z3 purely on a £££ basis. This would of course be subject to a very long test (with a lens filter):D

16. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm still quite stuck between these 2 - normally I would go for the Z3, but the PJ is to be mounted with it's ass against the wall, so I thought the front venting Panny would be better - any thoughts anyone?

17. Ross007

Ross007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I am in exactly the same position with where I can mount the projector and the throw distance of 16' so gonna opt for the Panny. Just waiting for a price drop!!??!!

18. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    Mine's mounted on a metal A/V stand with it's back about three inches from the wall. That's where it draws air in and then exhausts it out the right hand side near the front. So wall mounting's not really a problem as you can't get the back close enough to the wall to cause a blockage, as that's where all the cables plug in.

Regards

Mark

19. rooo

rooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just some research on this myself, and the Sanyo is completely side vented, in fact it makes big play of it in the brochure saying how it can be positioned much closer to the wall. With this, and the prices on offer at the moment, it is looking an imminent purchase!

20. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a look at the manual available online. IIRC it must be 50CM from wall. Mine is 10CM though!...:rolleyes:

21. ndcdavis

ndcdavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to go for the Sanyo, but then found out that the throw distance (4.5 metres) would mean that the picture would be too large for the screen (I only have space for a 90" screen).

Roy Jowitt will deliver on Wednesday ... Booked day off work to set up!