1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z3 new bug + need a lamp survival guide

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pokkara, Jan 14, 2005.

1. pokkara

pokkara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool: After browsing numerous posts I have choosen to get my first VP. A Sanyo Z3 (500 Euro above my budget!), because :
    - image quality is said to be excellent by most VP oldtimers
    - a lot of tweakings are available and settings can be found on forums
    - low price = high volumes = lower price for replacement parts (lamps!)
    - 3 year garanty
    - dust cleaning system - at first I though "marketing crap", but after further readings I have found out that it can be a real pain...
    - lens shofting (VP sitting at the right hand side of my sofa).
    - total silence

And now, I am just extatic :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:mad: However (new bug?)
    After plugin the Z3 to ADSL TV (french freebox) through composite, while I was for the *very first time* playing with "Screen" key on my remote, when I reached "subtitle 2" screen setting the Z3 freezed!! Lamp went in stand-by mode, fan working, remote and VP on/off button not responding, reset button not responding, nothing. I have waited for 15 minutes with no avail. Finally I had to turn off then quickely on the Z3, quite ****** off because I understand I have reduced my lamp life a lot.
    Exact configuration was : FW version 1.00 - Z3 connected to PC through svideo and to TV Box scart through composite, input was on composite.

After that, 4 days with 3 hours/day and no problem. BUT, each time I swith to "subtitle 2" (on composite or svideo), I can't help to notice a small glitch / quick tearing / jump (don't know how to describe it) on the upper left part of the screen...

:lease: Questions (lamp survival guide)...
    After doing my readings, I assume that the thing to do if this happens again would be (from best to worse) :
    1- use an external fan to blow on the lamp (!), turn the VP off and wait for everything to cool off.
    2- turn VP off and on again (like I did), then use the VP again or wait say 20 minutes to shut it down properly.
    3- turn VP off and let it cool down by itself for at least 1 hour.

Point 2 before 3 is based on the assumption that 2 is bad for the "lamp insides" but good for the lamp glass which is the most fragile part.
    Any idea?

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    You need to get back to your supplier to get a FW upgrade (1.01) This locking up is a known problem with the Z3, but the FW upgrade does fix it

Good luck

3. pokkara

pokkara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: I thought the only major bug on the Z3 was on the HDMI connection (aka terminator). My plan was to do without HDMI, until an upgraded FW corrects it (1.01 does not apparently). Unusefull strategy, if other freeze-bugs are creeping around!!

I can still switch for another z3 (for the new lamp) but I know I will get another 1.00 FW. Anybody knows if there are bugs with svideo, component or RGB? I read posts about z3 lamps being dead after 500 hours, and I suspect there is a link with the VP getting freezed once or twice... :mad: Hence my lamp survival question (anyone?)