1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z3 impressions

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zAndy1, Nov 5, 2004.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    Hi,
    Right, I'll start this thread off by saying...OMFG!!!! Out of the box this projector is looking bloody amazing, WAY better than my old Z2. Colours look spot on (couldn't say that about the Z2!), blacks look as good as the AE700 did. But the crucial amazing thing for me is the complete and I mean complete lack of VB! On the AE700 there was VB, ok it could be tweaked but it was still there, I haven't seen anything on the Z3 so far that has got me worried with respect to VB. Sky tv via s-video to my Lumagen HDP and then to the Z3 via HDMI at 720p looked unbelievably good. I haven't even tweaked things yet , see no need to use the panel adjustment feature to reduce VB to be honest but might try it just to see if it makes any difference (mind you if it aint broke don't fix it, I'll probably make things worse if I mess with that!). I've watched a bit of The Two Towers via s-video from my Pioneer 868 (as HDMI via the Lumagen isn't working for some reason, will investigate that further later). How much of the results can be attributed to using the Lumagen I'm not sure, I'll probably try a straight s-video / component connection and see how that looks but right now I'm using the Lumagen as it makes sense to really. Overall I am VERY impressed with this projector, lens shift is better than the AE700, the picture from what I've seen so far is awesome, VB is a non issue (seriously) and I've yet to calibrate it etc... will try and post more impressions later and hopefully some pics...

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Sounds very promising, looks like you will be changing your sig now reference the H77. It is very good news about the lack of VB, i really hope it stays that way and i hope the HS50 is the same in that regards as i am very tempted to get one of those.
    It appears that Sanyo have listened to some of the criticisms of the Z2 and rectified them, including the dust cleaning kit.

3. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like my gut feeling regarding this unit is correct. I mean, it does look like they have listened especially with the cleaning thing and VB. Whats the purity like (might not be correct term) I mean is a black and white film all white with no colour tinge? I have been burned by Panasonic a few times now, their products seem to be higher spec than anyone elses and the price is a little higher too but when it comes down to it sometimes it seems their quality department are a bunch of jokers. If I get the Z3 it will be the first I have chosen another manufacturer in 8 years (last year I got a Panny 32 inch tv which took me days to set up properly with the service menu (good pic done) but they should of sold it set up) erm waffling or what :)

4. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    From what I've seen so far of the Z3 it's a definite keeper, would love to see what it looks like with a hidef source! I did have the AE700 for a little while and I would definitely say at the moment that the Z3 is better, it's quieter, the lens shift is better and the picture is at least on a par if not better (certainly VB is less). Will post some pics later (for what they're worth).

Cheers,
    Andy.

5. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    andy any chance of screenies liek you did with the AE700 ? i know i need a bit of a push to get the wallet out for this baby.

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Im now extremely close to cancelling the AE700 and getting a Z3. Ive had it on order for ages and Im fed up, only thing is the Z3 seems to go for about £1250. Thats £150 more than I paid for the AE700...
    Anybody know anywhere cheaper?
    zAndy, do you think it would justify this? and save (possibly) a lot of hassle...

Thanks

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    Well, just watched Star Wars, took some pics (see links below). I'll get some more representative pics tomorrow but I knew people would be hungry for some pics tonight! Really enjoyed the film on the Z3, nothing detracted from the film like there has been with other projectors I've owned, it was nice to watch it and not be finding fault with the picture all the time! From what I've seen, given a choice between an AE700 and the Z3 I'd take the Z3 without question, especially considering it's cheaper (at most places). It's definitely quieter than the AE700 and produces a stunning picture for the money to be honest and I really am amazed how little VB there is on this projector! Anyway I'll try and sort some more pics out tomorrow (I'll take some of the same shots I took with the AE700 for better comparison)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0910.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0911.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0912.jpg (took this is it shows a distinct lack of VB, the pic didn't come out too well but hopefully gives you an idea)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0913.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0914.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0916.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0917.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/zAndy1/DSCN0918.jpg

Cheers,
    Andy

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    By the way, the pics look better on my PC than they do when uploaded to photobucket due to the compression involved, they are sharper/cleaner in real life!

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,256
    Cheers for all the info.
    Excellent job.

I have a question though.

Whereabouts on the body of the projector does it suck air IN and where does it blow hot air OUT ?

Cheers.

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    nice one andy :smashin: looking forward to some more :thumbsup:

11. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Great Pics zAndy1, one question though:

Does the Z3 use the same 2.0 Zoom Lens? As this is the most important factor for me in deciding between the Z3 and the AE700 (still waiting for my AE700 from Komplett :boring: )

Thanks

12. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    No need to answer, just found my answer, its a 1.3x Zoom Lens compared to the 2.0x of the AE700. No go area for me then.

13. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    It sucks air in at the back and blows it out at the side (right hand side or left hand side if it's ceiling mounted)

Cheers,
    Andy.

14. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Looking at those pics i can see the Z3 has a purple tint down the right hand side just like my Z2. Is this common on all lcd? doe's dlp suffer this effect? its the one thing i hate about my Z2 & my Z1 had it.

15. triumphtiger

triumphtiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Received my Z3 two days ago, and I have to agree with Andy on this one.
    As said earlier the lens shift is awesome. I'm sure Sanyo has set the standard for everyone else to follow.
    Switched to eco-mode, really silent, and yet the picture looked superb.
    Very crisp picture, subtitles are razor sharp.

16. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    Well I can tell you I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary , might be something to do with the fact I had my ceiling spotlights on I think... I'm going to take some more pics later and will make sure I haven't got the spotlights on, I assure you though I haven't noticed anything like a purple tint anywhere. You'll have to trust me on this but this is a cracking projector, I'm well impressed with the sharpness, lack of VB, colours, blacks, shadow detail etc. Just wish I had the means to do the tuning that cine4home hinted is possible and know what filter they used exactly, if it can look better than it does now I'll be VERY happy indeed!

Cheers,
    Andy.

17. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I can see it but thats because it's what i hate about my pj, on the first picture the trooper on the right looks a bit purple and your 3rd picture the sand is purple on the right. apart from that the Z2 is great and i bet the Z3 is aswell enjoy you're new toy.

18. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    DLP does not suffer any of the colouration that you often see with LCD projectors.
    Very noticeable on B&W films and landscapes like Andy's Star Wars picture.

Jeff
    :rtfm:

19. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks for the reply think i'll check DLP out next time. :thumbsup:

Oh and you :rtfm: ;)

20. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    The trooper on the right looks a bit purple?!?!?! Eh.... I'll check later but I'm 99.9% positive there is no discolouration. Remember this is out of the box, no tweaking has been done. I'm sure the projector is capable of better than the results I'm seeing and already I'm more impressed with this than any previous projector I've seen/owned including the Z2 and AE700. I'm picky believe you me, if there was anything to detract from my enjoyment of the film I would have noticed it but I just found myself watching and getting into the film more than I have with any previous projector and that for me is the most important thing. For £1250 it's a steal this projector and I can see me keeping it for quite a while (can't say that about much of my stuff!)

Cheers,
    Andy.

21. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Yes he doe's look at the whole picture his white plastic is a bit purple on that picture. I just found it intresting that the Z1 Z2 and now the Z3 all have this purple haze down the right side. I only saw it on my Z1 because when i put a dvd in to my player the dvd turns the screen grey for a few seconds. and this colour shows up really well. i posted some pictures on here showing the problem.

Anyway if you can't see it great don't look for it because i said i can see it, dont want you hunting me down for pointing it out & you buying a new pj. :D

All the best

22. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I must say i havent noticed any purple tinge on my Z2, i am curious now and will have to check that out later :confused:

23. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Can this profector be run from a HCPC at refresh rates other than 60Hz without tearing...I would consider it if it could not do 72Hz for NTSC but if it can't do 50Hz it would be out for me I'm afraid. I'm still waiting for the HS50 but at €1000 less the Z3 looks promising

24. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I vaguely remember a purple discolouration on my Z2 which I think I found was a result of using excessive lens shift, probably due to less than perfect optics bending light slightly unevenly.

25. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ......LCD does not suffer from any of the rainbows that you often see with DLP projectors..... :eek:

They all have their issues in one way or another.

Andy, glad you're happy with the Z3, sounds like a good result to get no VB... :)

Sean.

26. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see it in the first image, there was alot of talk about this on the avs forums with regard the Z2, I was hoping it was going to be solved, although it did used to be both sides of the picture that was effected so it could be the lighting? See what you can do Andy. Also did you get a pixel check cos I notice there is one out. Looks a good pic though I cant see what people saw in Princess Lea as I never liked her with her hair up :)

27. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allthough is this what the panel ilignment thingy solves in the menu's (and why it has been included in the new Z3) or is the panel ilignment for VB? OR Both?

28. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,496
    The dodgy pixel is on my camera (yes I did get the Z3 pixel checked). I know that the Z3 can be tweaked so it reproduces faithful colours as the cine4home article says as much (might need a filter and some calibration but it's possible). I can't see any discolouration , I'll have a good look tonight but I'm quite sure I won't see anything out of the ordinary or I'd have noticed it already.

Cheers,
    Andy.

29. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82

I think that's his camera

30. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member