1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Edt, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    May be able to scrape few £ together to punt for a 2nd user PLV-Z2. Are these still considered good by you guys? (want a 16:9 unit to replace my old 4:3 BenQ 6100 which I'll stick on ebay after cleaning all that damned dust out).
    Or for circa £4-500 is there something else I should go for... or even save & save & save & hold on for a Z3 if its a really big hike in quality ??! (running component prg scan from Camb Aucio Azure player)

thanks guys
    ED

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    My mates Z2 is a cracking pj and it was that that convinced me to buy a projector.
    I went for the Z3 and I feel it is an improvement.
    Personally I would save for the Z3.

3. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    The BenQ is a much better spec (contrast, blacks, colour) then the Z2.

Why are you selling it?

4. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the Benq's good but the (4;3) resolution isnt so good for 16:9 DVDs., esp. now I've got a 6 foot screen (used to have 4 foot one while back which was further away too). So now the trouble is can really see the resolution of the projector.

You rekcon I'll be disappointed with a Z2 ? (have to admit not seen one in action.. just asumed wonderfullness!)
    ED

5. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've had my Z2 for a few months now and I can honestly say that it the images it produces are very good, although I have only seen a couple of other PJ's I am VERY fussy when it comes to PQ.

OK, so I get the odd bit of banding, but I am very pleased with it.

It took a couple of months of tinkering to get good results though!

IMHO you MUST do the following.

1. Use the best source possible, and to be honest unless you are considering spending a fortune on a dvd player, a PC is your best bet.
    (I spent/wasted alot of time and money messing with dvd players and expensive component leads and the results were no where near as good as I get from my PC)

2. Use in a darkened room (Dun Elm sell cheap blackout material)

3. Use a screen, I just have a cheap one (sapphire approx £90) but it's still much better than a wall!

The only downside of a PJ that I have found is that it makes you realise how poor some dvd transfers are! when you play some HI-DEF material you will be amazed at the detail you can get on a 6ft screen :thumbsup:

6. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    dont suppose anyone on here thats around the Reading / South Oxon area would be willing to demo their pride & joy Z2 for me? worth a pint!Would love to see one in action & compare with what I'm uesd to (the Benq)

ED

7. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sorry, I now reside in sunny Blackpool!

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I got a Z2 in January and have been using it for a few months now...and I love it !

Admittedly I have not demo'd many LCD projectors but I did have an Epson TW 10h for a few days last year that I used on the wall in my living room...and it is way better than that machine was (allthough I still rate the Epson for the price).

I use it via componant onto an eight foot DRH screen and sit about 3 metres away and the image still makes my jaw drop when I watch a movie. There is screen door visible on large areas of bright colour if you look for it but if, like me, you get into the movie you soon stop trying to find it :smashin:

It's also pretty usable in daylight too...obviously it's not that practical but the kids manage to play on the Xbox during the day with just the blinds closed.

Have a look at my gallery (link in my sig below) for some pics :thumbsup:

9. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Cleric going little off topic.. how do you find the screen? I've got a DRH screen in the standard material and tbh cant see a big difference between using it & the near white wall it's mounted on. (the colour is better though as pure white not off white). Just curious....

ED

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I think the screen is great but have to be honest in that I only used the Epson on a wall with a sheet on it and have not owned any other screens.

11. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just watched Monsters inc.. one a my few bought DVDs. (ie not download/ rip or whatever). The Benq 6100 aint bad. I admit it ! Maybe its best to stick with it for now & also try to save away & one day get a brand spanking new z3 instead of a z2 & wonder what could have been....

ED