1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo z2, z3 or panasonic ae700???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Seanshadyuk, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi,
    im looking to purchase a projector in the next few weeks or so as i have a big student loan coming. :D I've neva had a projector before and ive been reading good things about all 3 of these and there all within my price range.

So if you were buying one which one would you choose??? or if you have one already which would you recommend??

2. therealijn

therealijn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

It would be irresponsible to condone you blowing a large wedge of your student loan on a projector, so here goes.
    As a student, I reckon if you made a few sacrifices, (eating twigs/moss instead of food, only going clubbing/boozing on a day with a 'y' in it) you perhaps could, like me, afford a Sanyo Z2. It's my first projector and although its now out of production (I think), you will find you can purchse it at a large discount to what it was a year ago (around £1400 then, around £860 now). Mine was £870 from Nex Nix including a pixel check. (Always ask for a dead pixel check if you buy LCD). Best £870 I've ever spent. Totally happy. If you find eating twigs/moss a minor inconvenience, you'll catch a new Sanyo Z3 from Nex Nix for £1140 ish.

Good Luck.

therealijn.

3. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanx m8 everyone is saying good things about the z2 but i think i want to spend the bit extra on the z3 woould i notice a real difference between the two?

4. spyder

spyder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The differences between the Z2 and Z3 are minimal. If you are viewing in optimum conditions ie in compete darkness you will get minimal contrast gains with the Z3. Personally I'd go with the Z2 and invest the money yopu save on an upscaling DVD player with Dvi output. For just under a grand you'll be the envy of all your student mates!

5. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Where in the country are you Seanshadyuk?

6. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im in england m8 U.K i think i will just go with the z2 n invest ina decent screen with the money i save :D and i already have a dvd player with progressive scan and component output is DVI alot better?

7. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I recently got my first pj...a Z2..and I am now very pleased with it.

I say 'now' because it took some tinkering and swapping sources before I felt happy with the PQ.

I first tried s-video using a 10mtr cable- Don't bother it looked crap.

then I spent about £50 on a 10mtr component cable and used my pioneer dv-565 component output - I still wasn't very impressed.

Then I thought I would try using my laptop's vga output, shared 64mb crappy graphics - The picture was MUCH better.

So basically my advice is yes, DVI is better than component, however if you use a PC and output @ 1280x720 via vga, the PQ will probably be better than even an expensive dvd player.

I would recommend anyone thinking of spending a fortune on a dvd player to try a PC, even a laptop, and hook this up to see how good it is. :lesson:

8. Seanshadyuk

Seanshadyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok thanx ill have to invest in a new dvd player aswell then lol