1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z2 with Quali-TV receiver

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I tried for the first time today connecting my new Quali-TV satellite receiver to the DVI-I input of my Sanyo Z2 - mainly to take a look at the high-definition demo channel on Astra 1.

Unfortunately, the Z2 can't seem to lock onto the output of the receiver: I get a very unstable image which alternates between a blank screen and what looks like a cycle through various picture resolutions. This happens both on transmitted material from the satellite and the Quali-TV's menus.

I've tried the various input 2 options on the Z2's menu, but none of the digital options make any difference.

I do recall that there was some question about the Z2's DVI-I input not being compatible with some other gear. Has anyone else tried the Z2 Quali-TV combination? If incompatibility is the problem, is there a known fix?

Many thanks.

Bert

2. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    It may not be this simple, but have you cycled thru the various output using the V Format key on the remote?

My HS50 doesn't like at least two of the settings, but is fine on the others

Sorry if I'm being too simplistic

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Mike, thanks for the reply - and please don't apologise for being simplistic. As fas as I'm concerned, simplistic is good.

The Z2 doesn't have a video format key on the remote - you have to go through the menus. But when it's switched to input 2, which is the one you have to use with the DVI input, the format isn't adjustable - it's just stuck (or seems to be) displaying the resolution it's being fed - in this case, 1080i.

I asked this over on the high definition forum too. The general opinion there is that the Z2 prefers a digital input of 720. Unfortunately, I can't find any way of adjusting the Quali-TV's output, which appears to be firmly stuck on 1080i.

So I have to continue playing around - or simply give up, at least for the present...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Bert

The button is on the Qualitv remote, above the red button. It will set the box output from 720 to 1080 to 576p to PAL in rotation fter each press. The box's display will briefly show what is ouitput as your display may not show anything

I reckon it will solve your problem, give it a try

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Mike, thanks for that. I've now managed to change to the Quali-TV output to 720p-50.

Unfortunately, the Z2 still won't lock on to the picture, though it's more stable than it was.

Is the Z2 input resolution adjustable under input 2? The input options are RGB Analogue, RGB PC Digital, RGB AV HDCP, Component and Scart. I assume that for a digital DVI connection I have to use either RGB PC Digital or RGB AV HDCP, but neither allows a selectable resolution - they both just seem to auto-detect whatever's being fed in. The Z2 reports the 720 Quali-TV signal as D-XGA.

I must take another look at the Z2 manual - I've been concentrating on the Quali-TV.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

6. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Unfortunately, Ive never had the Z2, but can you try the component input to the pj ?

It will at least give a picture, and is adjusted on the box via menu, video, then scroll down to switch between RGB and component Y Pb R

Be warned though- the menu to do this a little weird- the highlighted option, which goes lighter when you select, is NOT the one adjusted- it's the option which is normal, or darker which is selected! :rolleyes:

7. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Bert,

If you take a look on page 52 of the Z2 User Manual there's a list of supported signal types for the DVI input. It doesn't accept 720p@50Hz, which is what your Quali will be trying to send to it.

I think you'll be stuck with 575p, since that's the only 50Hz signal the Z2 will accept. Either that, or stick a scaler inbetween.

Cheers, Carl.

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Or try an analouge signal (Component or VGA).

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Carl, thanks for that. Really, the only reason I tried the DVI input was to have a look at the high-definition demo transmissions from satellite. Am I right in assuming that to see them at their best I would have to use 720 at the least?

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

10. EddThompson

EddThompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    i feed my z2 720p @ 50hz throught the dvi-i with a denon 3910, works fine. also works on 576 and 1080i no problems, i dont have a quali-tv though, so cant coment on that.

edd

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Edd, thanks for the reply. The Quali-TV is known to be a touch odd in one or two respects (it has a charming habit of losing any manually-entered transponder data when you move from one satellite to another and back again) but does handle high-def material and 4.2.2 transmissions very well, especially given its price.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk