1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z2 with colour filters

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    There's been a great deal of discussion on tweaking the Sanyo Z3 for use with CC20 Red and CC10 Yellow filters; the general opinion is that it can improve the picture quality quite a bit. Has anyone tried the same thing with the Z2?

I've searched through the forums for any information on this and not turned anything up.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I have been reading the Z3 threads with interest so I would also like to know if the same would apply to the Z2.

3. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bert and Cleric,

It may be of use to state here that the improvements to the Z3 settings have been due to two factors. 1) the filters and 2) starting with a preset (dynamic or powerful).

PS Bert, please could you clear your older PMs as I have been unable to PM you re the filters.

4. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Sainthalo,

Sorry about the full inbox; there's room there now.

I'm not sure I follow your point about the Z3; how does it relate to using the filters with the Z2?

Bert

5. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bert,

The point I make is that the new settings DRAMATICALLY improve the picture on the Z3 for both of the two reasons mentioned. You will get an improvement by filtering the Z2 and a further improvement by using presets if the latter is available to you.

Regards

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Sainthalo,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I understand that there will be an improvement; what I'm interested in is if anyone has already tried it, and if so, what settings they found most effective.

While I realise that these things must inevitably be subjective, my own colour vision is seriously below par and while I'm reasonably certain that I can produce a picture which I would find acceptable, I'd like to make sure that other people would also think the same.

Left to myself, I'm perfectly capable of ending up with a picture with splendid contrast but also a complete lack (or total saturation) of green or red; so I need some guidance.

Bert

7. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Do you have presets (eg powerful or dynamic) on the Z2? And do you have a calibration disc?

I agree we need someone with good visual acuity and someone with the ability to calibrate to get a perfect result.

If there is a forum member here with a Z2 and SMART calibration system who is willing to post calibrated settings to help out other forum members who own a Z2 please could they email me for a complimentary set of filters.

Regards

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    There are three preset image-settings: Standard, Cinema and Game. I don't know how they relate to the Z3's Powerful and Dynamic. And yes, I do have a calibration disc, but it's only really any use to me for brightness, contrast and geometry. Tweaking the colour (which presumably I'd have to do when I fit the filters?) is a bit of a minefield for me.

Your offer of a free set of filters to anyone willing to experiment and post their results is very generous; I hope someone takes you up on it.

Bert

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I'v now had a chance to play around with the CC20 Red and CC10 Yellow filters on my Z2, and I wonder if anyone else has done the same.

For what it's worth - and remembering that (a) this is set up almost entirely by eye, and (b) I am severely colour-blind - my current settings are:

Contrast +15
    Brightness -7
    Colour -2
    Tint 0
    Red -2
    Green 0
    Blue +3
    Sharpness 0
    Autograyscale Off
    Progressive L1

Now I think this looks OK, but no-one else has seen it and it's entirely possible that the results are quite appalling to the normally-sighted. I do think that the basic picture is better than the untweaked image with no filters, but again, I might be fooling myself.

Any thoughts or comments will be very welcome.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

10. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I suppose it would not be a completely accurate representation of what it looks like but could you possibly post some photos?

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    That's a good idea. I've only a rather basic camera, but I'll see what I can do.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

12. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any time to update your progress Bert?

Regards,
    sainthalo

13. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I seem to remember someone saying that the cc20 filter is needed for the Z2 but I presume it would then need to be calibrated correctly to D65.

14. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Have just ordered a set, so I'll post my findings once I've had a chance to play.

Have to say though, based on this article, it looks like it needs a pukka grey scale calibration to get the best out of it. And that's the sort of thing that's specific to each individual set-up ... but I have AVIA & DVE to hand, so I'll do what I can with the tools available to me.

Mind you, SMART isn't that expensive is it ? It's just knowing what to do with it that's the tricky bit :)

15. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Oh. Looks like you can't buy SMART anymore (following the Buy SMART links in that article). Ah well, just saved myself some cash :)

16. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cwick - have a look for the spyder thread - much better and about same price i think - there has been a good discussion of it recently on here somewhere!

17. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Thanks for asking. I've been meaning to post this for a little while.

After a lot of experimentation, I've decided that I actually prefer the image with just a mild bit of tweaking and no filters. This is especially true after I had the projector cleaned, which in itself spruced up the picture no end. Though it's true that both the vertical banding and the screendoor effect are now slightly more visible than they were, I can live with that quite happily.

How far this no-filters preference is due to my dodgy colour vision, I don't know, but it's what I'm sticking with at the moment.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk