1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z2 - Versions?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eatstatic, Mar 8, 2004.

1. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    When going into service menu my Z2 says version 101, a colleagues loan machine said 100 (dvi did not work on this) and his replacement version is 106 (his original was also 101).

Does anyone know what the differences are between them is if any?

If there is any differences what are they? I am presuming that they are 'tweeks' to the service setting.

Cheers in anticipation.
    :confused:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    AFAIK Sanyo don't release change-logs for their firmware, but I am aware 103 is needed to connect some (all?) HDMI players for example.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey....... this is the 2nd time in no time that one of my posts has gone..... anyhow, what i said is it is an HDCP issue with the original firmware, some seem to be effected, some dont. So, as kragorn states, some issues with HDMI players. However, this is something that sanyo have no excuse not to fix for you (at no cost of course).

there are supposedly minor differences in other respects, they have tried to tweak out some of the little colorations and such likes, but in reality they have done little that you cant do yourself.

all the best

Ad

4. magnust

magnust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Version 106 supposedly also has better deinterlacing for PAL material. This according to the Swedish Sanyo distributor.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would be sceptical about something like increased deinterlacing abilities.... im not saying it mightnt be right, but it sounds like a fairly major change to make

ad

6. magnust

magnust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand your scepticism buns, and i'm not here to argue with you :p but according to forum posts made on a swedish forum there is better deinterlacing for PAL video-sourced material with version 106 of the firmware. Some are even saying that the picture vent from unwatchable to good as they upgraded to the latest firmware.

Again this only affects PAL, so one could imagine a better deinterlacing mode already existing in the projectors circutry, but only being used with NTSC signals (until the latest fw).

This post is just to say that if you are unhappy with the deinterlacing done in the z2 and you do not have fw 106, it could be worthwhile to send it in for an upgrade.

Cheers

7. eatstatic

eatstatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well, I will look into just what 'tweeking' has been done over the course of the next week or so and make some comparisons.

Would these be tweeks made to the factory settings or made in the service menu? Or both would anyone know?

As for the deinterlacing of the pal sourced material I am not too bothered for the moment as I am using my DVD player for progressive scan. However in the near future I may look into this also. I presume that this would mean having to send the Z2 off to Sanyo for the upgrade which I don't really want to do just at the moment.

Also, without sending the thread off on a complete tangent (hopefully) does anyone have any tips on reducing panel structure on the Z2 as I have just changed screens (was talked into bigger = better) from a 6ft wide screen to a 7ft wide. Perviously I had no problem/issue now at 7ft (203 x114 viewable area) I have started to see the panel structure in certain sceens
    :( .
    Also previous screen was grey which I pressume helped hide any structure that I may have seen.

Cheers.