Sanyo Z2 or Z3?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tavish, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read a few threads that lightly touch upon this question, but I thought it would be appropriate to dedicate a single thread to the topic.

I am looking to purchase my first HT projector, and have it narrowed down to either the Sanyo PLV-Z2 or the Sanyo PLV-Z3. I am simply wondering if going with the Z3 is going to be worth the extra $300-$400. I will be running it through a DVI connection from my PC and using it mainly for DVD's and video games (Gamecube with component out). My room will be sealed off using blackout material to cover the big windows, so hopefully light won't be a huge issue.

Will I see a marked improvement with the Z3 or should I hold down on several hundred dollars and pick up a Z2?

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    If viewing side by side, you would see a marked improvement on the Z3 in contrast, lack of pixelation and video processing capabilities. If you bought the Z2 in isolation, I'm sure you would still find it a very good purchase. I would go for the Z3...In fact, I'd go for the Infocus Screenplay 4805 !!!!

3. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, the last thing I wanted was to bring a THIRD projector into the mix! I was mainly deciding between the Z2 and Z3 because of the higher resolution and overall rave reviews of both the Sanyo projectors. Like I said though, this will be my first purchase so I am somewhat of a newbie (not to mention I have a hard time deciding what shirt to wear every morning, let alone which projector to buy).

I am not a videophile by any means, so I am wondering how much of a difference I would notice between the Z2 and Z3. I really wish there was a local place around here that has both the models on display, but there isn't :rolleyes: But you say the Z3 is markedly better, huh? Well that is good to know, hopefully some more people will weigh in on the subject too :)

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Have a look at my infocus thread close to the top with some screenshots as well. The 4805 has now been reduced to £999 from £1300( Not sure what that is in $) but is a real bargain. I have seen a Z3 in action and it suffered from terrible verticle banding so a demo should be sort whichever one you go for.

5. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't look like anyone else has comments on the Z2 vs. Z3 decision :( I am still leaning towards the Z3 though...

6. mickeylove

mickeylove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the z2 just as good and picked one up for £620 gbp!

7. Member 22549

Member 22549

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,918
    Where did you get the Z2 from for £620?

By the way I would say that if you are after a Z2 I would get your skates on, as they are out of production, and many of the retailers have started selling out ( In the UK, just realised you are elsewhere, and it may be different).

Let us know what you decide, and how you get on.

Ricky

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Having owned both (the Z3 briefly), I can confidently say that the Z3 is worth the extra cash. Better colours, better contrast, and blow holes for dust blobs.

9. Tavish

Tavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! Like I said, I've been leaning towards the Z3 for a little while now...just wanted a little bit of justification for springing the extra $300. I'll probably order it next week and will be sure to post with my impressions. :smashin:

10. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i could have got the z2 with a screen for £500 in japan (new) but went for a z3 for £800 (new). I demoed both and the z3 had a noticeably better picture with much more detail and a s i sit close it was important. as i was on a budget i was highly tempted with the z2 as the picture was very good as well.