Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sanyo Z2 lamp replacement

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    The "replace bulb" light just came on on my Z2. Bulb usage has been 3005 hours in eco mode (and 1 hour in full) so I suppose I shouldn't feel short-changed, though the cost of a new bulb is a little eyebrow-raising: a quick search suggests that the average price is around £230.

I've not noticed any dimming or yellowing - quite the contrary in fact, though I put that down to the optical clean I had done when part of the picture was markedly stained.

I'd be interested to know if any other long-term Z2 users have achieved a better lamp life. (And if anyone knows of a cheaper source for a replacement.)

Many thanks,

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The replace lamp led/message is pre programmed.......3000 hrs in eco mode, 2000 hrs in normal mode. You can run the lamp longer, basically until it expires, but it may explode!!!

TBH, I'd reset the counter & take a chance but then again, I'm a little daft :D .

Ekko star recently ordered a lamp from Price Japan.

:smoke:

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Kramer,

Thanks for the reply. Just how serious is the possibility of the lamp exploding? And if it did, would the explosion be contained within the projector, or would there be a danger to anyone in the room?

Mind you, I imagine that an explosion inside the projector would do a fair old bit of damage (at worst) or at the very least would be hellishly difficult to clean up after.

And did he (or she) write about it on here? I'll do a search.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

4. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Bert...

We use dozens of projectors all day at work.... so bulb life and antics are well known to our techs.

When (IF) the lamp does "explode", basically it can crack or shatter and we have yet to see (perhaps just lucky...?) any damage to the actual projector. A quick hoover out is all they usually need.

I would not guarantee the same for your underwear, however, as they often give a healthy CRACK!! when they go....

I would expect up to another 1000 hours if treated carefully (observing usual heating/cooling cycles) before it expires for good - usually its the colour that persuades the lamp change once beyond the manufacturers time target.

DJ

5. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just imagining jumping out of my skin and screaming when it pops!It'll be pitch black suddenly too so i will really scream! oh dear! ;)

Actually heres a thought if you get in touch with Ekko Star he has a Sanyo Z2 bulb just imported from Price Japan when he needed a Z3 bulb. That mistake might prove useful for you and save Ekko Star / Pricejapan some hassle - send him a PM - hes a moderator on here so trustworthy :)

6. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    DJ,

Thanks very much for that. Rather reassuring.

Out of interest, what exactly is it that can cause a dying bulb to explode? And actually, what exactly is it that causes a lamp to expire anyway, whether explosively or not? What part of the construction wears out (or whatever)?

I think I'll be brave and wait a little longer, though I suppose it would be sensible to get a replacement bulb in now, so the projector won't be out of action for long when the present one does give up.

The cost difference in buying from PriceJapan seems to be considerable; I must check through the forums for comments on using this method.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

7. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Bert

I understand that when one of the electrodes is in contact with the glass... it gets somewhat warmer than normal and then hey presto...

There is an interesting article in the US Home Theater Mag last month about lamps, technology and why they blow etc... might be worth tracking down.

From what I understand, the two "electrodes" (not really the correct name i am sure) are abused, they can get eroded, and often bent. If they touch, then, bad news... or if they are sitting against the glass as I said above.

When they age, they erode and as such get slightly further apart, hence lamps often get harder to "start" when they age.

The yellowing of colour that we see when the lamp ages is down to the glass being discoloured as the electrode overheats the glass.

As SaintHalo said above.... just dont be watching something spooky in the dark... he he ...

DJ

8. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    DJ,

Thanks for that. I'll do my level best to stay alert for yellowing of the image, and in the meantime maybe I'll avoid full blackouts and scary movies...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I had a Z1 lamp sent to me not a Z2. Has been returned now though, sorry.

10. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Ah, there was a misunderstanding there then. Not to worry; thanks for letting me know.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

11. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Just to round this discussion off, I've now obtained a replacement lamp from PriceJapan: ordered on Sunday, delivered on Wednesday, £169 including p&p and no customs charge.

My old lamp is still going strong; I reckon it's deliberately hanging on till Christmas (hence the spare) and I've all but forgotten that it could actually explode without warning, so it'll be even more of a shock if it does. Fun...

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

12. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Just a note to say that I've now fitted the replacement lamp in my Z2. The old lamp hadn't died, but I thought I'd seen a general overall dimming of the picture lately, and there have been a couple of instances of the fan suddenly switching to high power for no apparent reason, which I thought might have been due to the old lamp running over-hot.

The hours counter gave the old lamp's running time as 3436 hours, all but one in Eco mode.

Comparing the old lamp to the new, they appeared absolutely identical: there was no obvious discolouration or crazing of the reflector in the lamp I removed, nor anything which seemed likely to cause an increase in running temperature.

As far as performance goes, the image with the new lamp does seem brighter and livelier than with the old, but it's certainly not a massive improvement; pretty subtle, in fact. So perhaps I changed the lamp too soon? I suppose I'll know if the fan suddenly goes into overdrive with the new lamp fitted, which will mean that something else was causing the overheating.

So my suspicion that the old lamp was waiting for Christmas Day to die on me proved unfounded...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

13. sheffieldeagle

sheffieldeagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bert

Can I ask which postal method you chose when ordering through PriceJapan?

Cheers

SheffieldEagle

14. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Do you have any details on the optical clean please, i have some staining on my Epson TW10H, & didn't know 'optical cleaning' was possible:eek: Was yours covered under warranty, or if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

Nice to see someone exceeding the expected lamp life:smashin:

Thanks
    Delh68

15. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Bert,

The fan in my Z2 kicks into overdrive quite often (around 800 hours on the bulb). I put this down to the room being too hot, as it doesn't do it when it's cooler.

16. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Sheffield Eagle: I used the DHL shipping option. Delivery was fast and the packaging was fine.

Delh68: I wrote about the optical cleaning process in an earlier thread, Sanyo Z1 browning of image on left side. Basically, it wasn't covered by the guarantee and cost around £200. I thought that was a bit steep; if there hadn't been a non-refundable £80-odd inspection fee, I don't think I'd have gone ahead.

I still don't know if it was the old bulb that was causing the overheating; possibly it wasn't, in which case I could presumably have just carried on using it until it did finally die. I've kept it, of course, as an emergency spare.

Paulw77: Thanks for that. Mine kicked into high fan mode yesterday and gave me quite a start. I think it was because the room was on the warm side, but I'm keeping a careful watch on (or rather listen to) it just it case it does prove to be something else.

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk

17. Delh68

Delh68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    :eek: £200, thx for letting me know, will look up your old thread~looks like i will have to live with it for now...:(
    Delh68

18. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Delh68,

One annoying thing is that I've no idea what exactly it was that got cleaned; I imagine it could have been almost any component in the optical path. I suppose it's possible that I could have done it myself (I've opened up the Z2 enough to blow away dust blobs) but I was reluctant to start taking things apart any further. If it's going to save me £200 next time it needs doing, though, I might well have a go...

Bert
    www.bertcoules.co.uk