1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z2 DVI-I input query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bert Coules, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Edited to say:

I tried to delete this altogether, but there doesn't seem to be an option to do so (there did use to be, didn't there? Or am I dreaming?)

Anyway, my question about the analogue capabilities of the DVI-I input doesn't appear to matter any more: today, I'm getting a perfectly stable progressive scan picture through my Denon amp (whereas yesterday it was extremely unstable.) Since I've changed nothing, this is obviously just one of those delightful inconsistencies which make this hobby so much fun...

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    Sorry i missed your initial post, but i gather you are going from Component (amp) to DVI-I (Z2)? and if so i was interested in doing so also, but wondered if there is any real benefit? Does the picture improve over component - component, and what cable are you using (as they seem awfully hard to source). Sanyo seem to do an adapter, the POA-CA-DIVC, but at £50 one does wonder if its worthwhile to free up the component port and get marginal PQ improvments.

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    iZed,

My understanding is this: if you plug an analogue source (such as component video) into a DVI-I input then the quality is not changed at all. The circuitry doesn't upgrade the image in any way.

I was considering doing this not to get an improvement in picture quality but because I wanted to connect my DVD player to a separate input on the Z2 from everything else. It was purely a switching consideration.

In the event, I've found an alternative method. This is just as well, since, as you said, the necessary component-to-DVI-I cables or connectors are both very scarce in this country and also very expensive. They seem to be more readily available in the USA, though.

I hope that helps.

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk