1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paveypop, Jun 15, 2003.

1. paveypop

paveypop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Is it possible to positon the Z1 on a table at the side of a room and get a good picture from it .

I know that with sonys HS2 you can do this.

Regards.

Dave

2. jamieca

jamieca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also be interested in finding out any experiences from owners of the Z1. It is currently top of the shopping list and I'm doing the all the preparation- working out picture size/mounting distance etc. and of significance in the room where the projector will be housed is the mounting position.

In the room, it would be greatly prefereable to be able to mount the projector on a shelf on the side wall and project onto the end wall. I know that the Z1 has manual lens shift but will using this affect the picture quality or the throw distances when calculating the positioning of the projector? Also- how far can the picture be shifted left/right?

It is an option to ceiling mount the pj but it would be easier (and a lot neater) to place the unit at the side on existing shelving.

Thanks- from spending hours on end reading about the various pj's and getting really great demos from Jeff at projectorsareus and Russ at nexnix just checking the final few things before buying the Z1.

Thanks to all who contribute, the information on these forums makes it a heck of a lot easier for newbie's like me to understand the plethora of options out there. I'll let you know what i think as soon as it's installed.
    JC

3. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    The adjustment on the Sanyo is limited to 25% of the width of the screen left or right. So you can't have it against a side wall and project onto the end wall without keystone problems.

The lens shift doesn't effect the picture and doesn't change the throw distance. The zoom is useful as it gives you a few inches margin of error with the projector distance.

There is a downloadable brochure on the Sanyo UK site with pictures.

I have mine ceiling mounted and have today changed my DIY mount for one of the LMP projector mounts, much more stylish.

cheers

4. jamieca

jamieca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks- I thought that would be the case, the manual shift is presumably used to give you some leeway when mounting, but not so much that you can put it just anywhere and move the image around- not surprising.

A quick question about the mount - I'm also looking at an LMP mount (they do look pretty stylish) and was wondering what kind of ceiling you have installed it on? I have a false plasterboard ceiling with a very small (1-2 inch ceiling cavity) and then concrete- new block of flats. I do not have any access from above (it's concreete!!) and was wondering how I wouold get on mounting the bracket directly onto the false ceiling- would plasterboard take the weight of the bracket and the Z1? I think it sounds a bit dodgy, but am unsure as to how else to mount it- I don't really want to start hacking about with the ceiling to eventually discover that it was doomed from the start and end up without the projector mounted and a messed up ceiling! Back wall is not an option, as there is a floor to ceiling window and I'd much prefer not to have to place it on the coffe table.

Any experience of anyone else mounting any projector in this kind of environment?

Thanks
    JC

5. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I can't help you with the mounting.

I would recommend you look at the mounting plate before ordering. My friend has his Z1 mounted on the ceiling in his loft room. It is very convenient having it ceiling mounted but it wouldn't look attractive in my lounge...too industrial looking for me. I've settled for using a movable table. Proj sits on the table in an alcove and I move it out for viewing.

I do find the lens shift very helpful. I can position the proj (on it's table) to the bottom left of the screen, so it's not in the middle of the room waiting to be tripped over.

I've got some dust blobs on mine again ( dust settles on the LCD panels inside). A little blob of dust looks like a big blue, green or red smudge on the screen. So I'm going to have to open her up and blow them off with some compressed air. My friend hasn't had any dust blobs...might be because he has his hanging upside down from the ceiling. Thinking out loud really...might help.

6. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems logical that keeping the PJ fixed in place on the celing is going to give you least dust problems, less dust up there and less moving the PJ about, imho moving your PJ and readjusting it will only increase your likleyhood of getting dust blobs. ten again its just unavoidable sometimes :/

7. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about putting the PJ in a floor box housing, bit like the big CRT machines.

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Jamieca: The LMP is very solid and the Z1 isn't a light weight either so there's no way I would risk mounting it on plasterboard. I live in a bungalow so mine is now bolted through a plank of wood that is screwed and glued into the joists.
    As your ceiling is the floor of the flat above are you allowed to drill the concrete? Do you know how the plasterboard ceiling is attached to the concrete is it a strong fixing?

The up/down lens adjustment allows the screen top or bottom to line up with the lens on the Z1. This limits the height you can place the PJ without using keystone correction. So you really want, at minimum, the PJ at the height of the edge of the screen, or better, as close to the middle as you can get it. Mine is hanging down about 60cm from the ceiling.

You could get a custom length LMP and mount it upside down on the floor behind your chair (that's my crazy idea for the day) or use a room divider. The Z1 manual recommends a space of 50cm around, 20cm above the PJ for good air circulation so cabinet or wall mounting might be a reliability problem.

I have read that Sanyo added a seal around the lens which helped with the dust blob problems, don't know if that is true.

HTH

9. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I mounted my LMP mount with rawl plugs into a wooden joist. It's completely solid and safe.

There must be batons to which the paster board is nailed - why not drill into them? Even if you go through into the concrete, you will not be doing any structural damage whatsoever.

To find the batons, you need to buy a detector for about 12 quid from a DIY shop or borrow one from a mate for free.

Cheers,
    Cal.

10. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's my LMP mount thread here

11. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Nice. Now that's much nicer than the one my mate got.

12. jamieca

jamieca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

Cal- looks like your idea is the most suitable- I can screw the mount into the joist/baton holiding the plasterboard up, using an LMP mount.

I really like the way your ficing looks on the ceiling, it was that thread that originally got me looking at the LMP.

Cheers
    JC