1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pulsar, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hello everyone.

I currently own a Toshiba 36" widescreen tv, and use this for day to day viewing and home cinema, After reading this months what HiFi? I decided to start looking at projectors as a means of displaying my home cinema. I have seen a lot of good reports about the Sanyo Z1 an I plan to demo it at my local Sevenoaks. I do have a few questions though which I hope you can help me with. What is the throw ratio of this projector (ie every 100 inches from the screen gives a 50 inch picture)? When supplied with a component proj scan input from DVD, how will the results compare to my Tosh (non prog scan)? If I was to use the projector on a relatively small scale, ie doubling my current screen to 72" how noticable would the grid be? Are there any hidden extras with a projector like this, like a line doubler? Can this projector be ceiling mounted? Any help on these matters is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

2. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob,
    • Throw ratio:
      The Z1 has a throw ratio of 1.35 - 1.6 times the screen WIDTH, i.e. if you know the screen width you want, multiply by these numbers to find how far from it the lens needs to be. If you know the distance, divide by these numbers to get the screen widths that you can consider.
    • Screendoor:
      How noticable this is depends not on screen size but how far away you will be sitting. I view from 1.8x the screen width and the effect is very rarely noticable with a little defocussing. Try watching for different distances and playing around with the focus during the dem to see how much it bothers you.
    • Hidden extras:
      You don't need anything beyond a cable to connect your DVD player to it. I'm currently running it using S-video from my Pioneer DV530. Unfortunately, the deinterlacer is fairly primitive so some films show a lot of deinterlacing artifacts. Hence, a ProgScan player is on order.
    • Ceiling mounted:
      Yep, there is a menu item to allow the image to be flipped for inverted use - which is just how mine is. The remote is pretty sensitive as well - I just point mine at the screen and it works fine reflecting back to the PJ.

HTH,

_

3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Thanks for the info.

I am so tempted.

:D

Rob

4. nja

nja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    See here for a size/throw distance chart.

5. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Could you let us know what the deinterlacer artifacts are?

I havn't seen any particularly objectionable artifacts on my Z1, using either a PC or a Pioneer 444, both feeding RGB to the VGA connector.

On the other hand the picture quality is dire using the composite video input, and I would expect the quality to be not much better through S-video.

The only digital-type problem that I have seen is occasional slight line pairing on midtones with movement and I believe that this is a common problem to LCD projectors, and I believe that there are service mode adjustments that can be made to reduce this.

Bill

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I have my Z1 projecting a 6ft wide image on the wall. I sit about 11ft away and the screen door effect is not really noticable.
    I will be ceiling mounting mine and suppose that's a hidden extra as it's about £150 for a mount. Also my wall's not that good a screen so I'll be looking at another few hundred for one of them too.

Mat

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Mat,

What is the fan noise like on the Sanyo? How far away do you sit from the projector?

Cheers

Rob

8. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736

• Theres little difference between component interlaced and prog scan.

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    I'm 4 feet away from my projector (well, 4 feet below, its above my head) and in eco mode it's quiet.

10. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To tackle your second point first - S-video is actually pretty close to component in terms of quality. S-video uses one coax for luma and one for chroma - component uses one for luma and two for chroma - since the eye is more sensitive to luma than chroma (which is why DVD encodes luma at twice the resolution of chroma on both axes) the difference should be minimal given the same cable. In practice, I have a QED Qonnect (sp?) S-video but Van Damme professional video coax for component so the image was sharper with the limit over component than S-video (when it wasn't ghosting). In theory, RGB is the best as the luma and chroma are effectively split over the 3 runs of coax, though I would question the quality of most VGA cables to transfer these signals well.

Now, deinterlacing artifacts. Firstly, if you are happy with what you are seeing, I would advise you NOT to read on. If the effects don't bother you, you're better not to know what they are or else you may start to notice them. Also, these artifacts were removed by the Limit when in ProgScan but not when in Interlaced but still using component - so they are definitely due to the deinterlacer in the PJ. OK. The problems that I found so distracting fall into two classes. Firstly, line twitter. This is where a fine line is only present in one field of the two making up the frame. If a deinterlacer is in video mode, i.e. it averages the lines in a field to produce the 'missing' lines rather than combining two fields, the line will appear to blink on and off at a rate of 25Hz. The second type of prblem is moire and jaggies. Video mode deinterlacing effectively halves the vertical resolution of the screen (unless you have DCDi) so diagonal lines - and especially shallow ones - tend to look like staircases. In some other cases, the 'patterns' shown on the screen can be interpreted by the brain of show lines and structure other than that in the source material - this is called moire - and these lines and structures can move as the camera or objects in the frame move. This is hugely distracting. The film that shows this most, of the ones which I have watched, is Thelma and Louise. The losing credits use a fine font which gives a particularly good example of line twitter. The movie itself has lots of telegraph wires against sky which demonstrate the moire/jaggies but perhaps the best example of this is at the beginning of an early chapter. Louise leaves work, gets into her T-bird and drives off to pick up Thelma. The car is shot at an angle on the screen and is a mess of moire and jaggies. As it drives off, the effects change so that it looks like the surface of the car is moving! The same scene with ProgScan is almost free of artifacts, with only a small amount of moire. I actually went through the film in Interlaced and, whenever I noticed an artifact, I went back and viewed again in ProgScan (Yes, sad, i know.) In almost all cases the artifacts were greatly reduced or eliminated, and those that remained in all cases were very minor and unlikely to be distracting.

_

11. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Well until I get it on the ceiling it's on a table about a foot from my right ear. Even that close you can forget it's there.

Some people have complained about the fans whining but I haven't found that a problem.

Put it in high power mode that's a different story.:D

Mat

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    You should search this forum. There are plenty of options for DIY ceiling mounts. I'm crap at DIY and even I managed it with a couple of bits of MDF and a bit of pole.

TV/video shelf modified is also popular at the moment.

Shouldn't cost you more than £20. And PJs are pretty light so as long as its screwed into a joist you should be fine.

13. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I was working on the principle that if I buy a Gyrolock and the PJ falls of the ceiling killing me. My family will have someone to sue. ;)

Still I'll have a look round the forum at what others have been doing.

Mat

14. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Underscore,

Maybe s-video is pretty close technically to interlaced component but I have spotted a number of differences. Obviously this is pretty tricky subject as we all are going to have different dvd players, cables etc. I first used s-video to connect my dvd player to a z1. I thought the pictures were pretty good but saw jaggies everywhere (I didn't when viewing on my tv). I then changed to use component and they completely disappeared (viewing the same scenes etc).

I've been trying to write a review of my Brightview for another thread but at the moment I'm finding it extremly hard to make differences between interlaced component and progscan.

I'll see if I can borrow Thelma&Louise. But as I said before, I have a number of specific scenes where I can see jaggies on s-video and can't on interlaced component.

I really do want to see them so I can justify the £500 quid I spend on the Brightview and cables.:D :D

Jus.

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    My box from CPC has arrived.

A quick visit to B&Q at the weekend and I'll see what I can come up with.

cheers
    Mat