1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pringtef, Mar 8, 2004.

1. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well impressed with NexNix there.

Refurbed Sanyo Z1 with brand new bulb, 1 year, 1 month warranty, JS Tech RGB to Svideo converter, 10m svideo cable, next day delivery, £697!!

Any configuration tips for this device? Going to be connecting it up via component of Arcam DV27A, and above SVideo for cable.

2. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pringtef,

You will find it's a breeze to set up and the menu is simple and straightforward, so no tips really. Just point and shoot and enjoy.:D

A good prog scan player and video component cable is all I would recommend....

3. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Cheers for that Pete, my Arcam should certainly do for prog scan source. Just getting a cheap 10m component cable at the moment from NexNix, will upgrade to one of the Mark Grant ones next payday!

4. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Just how much of a difference doe's a prog scan signal make on the Z1?
    I have a tosh 220 at the moment that has no pro-scan and i've been looking at upgrading.

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    A decent p-scan player made a lot of different to the image quality on my Z1. The Z1's deinterlacer is simple and not very smart. I got fed up with all the combing on horizontal pans and bought a Sony 730 p-scan player for £140. Well worth it, IMO. I can enjoy movies without getting distracted by all them horrible artefacts.

7. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I spoke to a guy at the Sanyo service centre when mine went back for a firmware upgrade and he said that the Z1 doesn't actually have a deinterlacer - it just takes each field and scales it to the full panel resolution. So, yes, a P/S source should make a lot of difference - at least I found it to - and, I agree, the 730 looks very watchable feeding the Z1.

HTH,

_

8. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Sorry for the thread hijacking, but...

Have you calibrated your 730? I've not got any means to calibrate my 730 at all (other than movies and occasional bouts of sobriety). If you've calibrated it, what did you use? Did it make a lot of difference to the overall image quality?

Is there any point in poking around with the picture settings without a calibration disk? What do you have yours set to? (I know each projector and room needs different settings, but it might give me a starting point).

9. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Thanks guys :smashin:
    i'm looking at a denon 2200 or the pio 868i so i'll let you know what i think when i have it.

10. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not really calibrated, but I have adjusted using the THX optimode on R1 T2:UE and R4 Monsters Inc.. Can't remember the settings but I know that I had to up the brightness a lot and the contrast a bit. I then watched some clips of 'real', i.e. not CG, movies and bumped the Gamma a notch or two to bring out the shadow detail.

Watched my first full movie the other night and, apart from the first visible layer change in >1yr (one of the great things about HTPC) I'm well chuffed with the result.

_

11. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Cool. Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was after :D