1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sanyo z1/z2 positioning

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pacemaker, Aug 31, 2003.

1. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hi all
    i am in the process of building a dedicated cinema room approx 11foot x 18 foot and will be purchasing a z1/z2 soon and require some info please
    my screen will be 80" x 45" and the pj will be ceiling mounted so i,ll be sitting about 13-14 feet from the screen
    one of the main reasons for plumping for the sanyo is to avoid using digital keystone
    so can someone please inform me what distance from the screen min/max will the pj need to be to achieve the desired screen size?
    also keeping the pj above head height,say a foot down from the ceiling, where on the projected wall will the image fall using min and max lens shift ?
    many thanks all

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Visit www.projectorcentral.com There is a projection calculator there so you can fiddle around with your figures to your heart's content. Much better than one set of figures on a plate. The vertical height should be in the spec. on sanyo's web site, there's a diagram in the .pdf file you can get there. Your setup sounds eminently do-able, you should get a cracking view at that distance. I'm using a plv-70 in pretty similar setup, it's far enough from the 80" screen not to see the pixellation/screen door effect. You are wise to take keystone into account at the planning stage, mine has a very small amount of correction, and with foresight it could have had none. It irritates me sometimes.

3. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    thanks Maw calculator says i need to place pj 9-11 feet from screen, thats fine
    strill need to know if vert lens shift will allow image to be say level with lens on the wall or possibly even lower without keystone
    thanks

4. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not too familiar with this projector, but the terminology for describing the functions is easy enough. OK, so it is a 16:9 native aspect, I'm sure you know what that means. The lens itself well...Sanyo have quoted it like you spec a camera lens, normal projectors are quoted using a 'Throw-Ratio' number for example 1.8-2.0:1. If you can find this out then it is fairly easy to calculate your throw distance. Using this number, to achieve a 1m WIDE image your projector must be between 1.8 and 2m away. It is a simple ratio so you can scale up the throw by the same you scale your screen width.

Now the other plane. Plan view your projector is positioned at the right distance away from the screen, now you need to place it in the side view. This projector says it has optical lens shift, but doesn't quote it as either an angle or percentage of image height. I am not quite sure of the amount of lens shift this might have, but ususally these tiny PJ's have over 100%. Manufacturers use different ways of specifiying this but generally 100% means the centre of the lens will be the same height as the top/bottom of the image, depending on table or ceiling mount config. All this does is alter the area of the lens from which the image comes from and if the lens is designed correctly it shouldn't have any geometric distortion in the projected image. As long as your projector is flat!!

I should be getting some more accurate data from Sanyo on this for ya, but for now I am sorry I can't help with any dimensions yet.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Here is the manual, the info you need will be in there.

6. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Easy then.

The lens on there is around 1.35-1.63 : 1.

So for your 80" (2032mm) wide screen the projector needs to be between :-

2032x1.35 = 2743.2mm (108") Max zoom

and 2032x1.63 = 3312.16mm (130.4") Min zoom

Go for mid zoom for safety and adjust to suit.

Lens shift is -100% +100% so you can align the top of your pictue with the centre of the lens. I would personally go just less as you can sometimes can chromatic aberations when you are this far down the lens!! Try 90%...so the centre of lens is just lower than image top.

Hope this confirms your thoughts!

7. pacemaker

pacemaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    cheers all for the advice
    looks like from the manual that the top of the screen when pj is ceiling mounted is level with the lens
    done some rough calculations and looks like i can get away with mounting the pj so lens is 16" from ceiling
    using a 80x 45 screen this would appear to be fine as the top of the screen would be about that anyway
    so no keystone.....great
    as the project will take until mid october to finish will prob wait now and see if z2 lives up to its great spec, otherwise will prob get a panny 300(hope panny image is level with the lens also perhaps someone can confirm this)
    thanks again and im sure ill be back with some more questions before i finish

8. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Initial response indicates that the Z2 will have a slightly longer throw lens than the Z1. So if you plan on getting this one then please allow for the extra distance needed