1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 v Philips Garbo

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by daveb, Dec 13, 2002.

1. daveb

daveb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks,
    I've seen a Z1 and was well impressed but I haven't been able to see a Garbo (afaik there are no shops in the NW who stock both). Has anybody done a side by side comparison or have any strong views about the Garbo?

Dave.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    The Z1 and Garbo are aimed at subtly different markets:

Z1 - slightly higher resolution, lower brightness, shorter lamp life (3000 hrs ECO mode). It will work best where you are watching movies in room with good light control. (Cue indignant rage and floods of protests from empassioned Z1 owners disputing the above ;) )

Garbo - lower contrast but brighter (1000 ANSI), longer lamp life 6000 hrs at full power, quieter. The Garbo has the extra brightness to allow viewing with more room lights on. I would class it as a family projector - good for movies TV and games. There's also the advantage of lower running costs thanks to a 6000 hr lamp.

Both are good machines and would be a big step up from an AE100. (Apologies to AE100 owners - I think I'll get the flame proof suit out now ;) )

Try The Audio Works at Cheadle nr Stockport for the Garbo. Tel 0161 428 7887

Good luck

Regards

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    Chris, I wouldn't dispute that at all. Ambient light doesn't work well with the Z1 (or most PJs come to think of it). It's possible.....but it aint great:)