1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 Screenshots

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, May 14, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Having received a Z1 on loan this morning I have spent about an hour testing it and have to say my first thoughts are what a bargain this pj is.

It's bright, quiet and colourful and exhibits almost no screen door on a 110" diagonal screen viewing from about 14'. The level of detail is excellent, although not as good as pjs costing 2 or 3 times the price - but then you couldn't expect that could you :)

Having seen and owned some of those more expensive pjs I am not sure I could live with the Z1 long term (although some more viewing tonight may change that). It is however an absolute gem and a steal at c. £1200.

DVDs give, as might be expected, the best image. I have had to feed it an interlaced siganl as when I switch to PS on my DVD player it splits the screen in half and I couldn't get that to correct itself. Some more time with the unit may discover why but DVDs via interlaced are excellent anyway.

Watching Sky+ was a bit more of a disappointment with rather less detail, more jaggies and artefacts and a generally less enjoyable picture. Pjs like the TW100 and MT8 do a far better job with Sky than the Z1. I think it is generally accepted that the deinterlacer in the Z1 is pretty poor so tonight I may connect my Quadscan and see how it fairs then.

Anyway, meanwhile, I took a few screenshots with a Fuji 6900 digital camera using the 3m pixel setting (probably overkill for a pj with <1m pixels).

Here they are. Make of them what you will but I hope they will give those who have not yet taken the plunge an idea of what to expect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Really nice shots mate.
    For me the picture the z1 gives is really good, but i haven't seen any other pj before so i can't say just how good it is.
    I'm pretty lucky i haven't seen anyother pj, because i don't have to think that other pj had a better picture ect. i can just sit back & enjoy the great picture i get from my new toy :)

Now all i need is a popcorn maker & the home cinema will be complete :D

How doe's £1.50 entry sound?:rotfl:

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sounds good to me. You'll get the price of the pj back in no time and make friends with every neighbour in the local area as well :)

You're dead right, I wish I had not seen the more expensive ones cos it only makes the decision process 10 times harder. If the Z1 did with Sky what it does with DVDs I think I'd bite the bullet and get one but as I watch about 50:50 DVDs and Sky I may look at a VW12. Another bargain at current pricing I think.

The one thing it has done is make me realise that as good as DLP pjs are I still think I prefer LCD. Less video noise, no rainbows (although I'm not that susceptible) and no temporal dithering (or solarisation). Oh, and generally less juddering on panning shots. I think a VW12 may just be perfect for me.

Anyone know where they're going for £3k?

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
  5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thank you. The good news is it has come down again and is now sub £3k. Anyone give me an honest opinion. Is it a stonking pj - the VW12 that is.

6. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky looks bad regardless, the jaggies and digital artifacts are there on the TV, when you blast it up to 8ft wide it's just really obvious. :rolleyes:

Watching the footy on ITV reminds me of 'Soccer' on my old intellivision ;)

Garbage in, garbage out as they say :)

Roll on HDTV etc...

Anyway have fun with the DVDs tonight at least :clap:

-- Jon

7. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Messaih,

How have got the Sky connected up, though composite? Read some comments in various places that the composite input on the Z1 is poor, a poorer combe filter? I believe.

I have the lecktopaks RGB -> VGA converter and it gives a great improvement to Sky for a modest £49

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mine is Sky+ connected via S-Video into the A1SR which is then upconverting to component. The TW100 and MT8 gave cracking Sky pictures. In fact, films on the the major movie channels were almost indistinguishable from DVD - seriously.

9. stereogeezer

stereogeezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Messiah. Sorry to go slightly off thread but I am considering purchasing a projector at the £1500 mark my self and am very intersted in the Z1. I notice you managed to get a loan one and I reckon that must be the best way of finding out how good it really is and whether I would be happy with it or need to reasess my budget. Any clues as to where I might find somone who could do the same for me?? :smashin:

10. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Been to sound and vision and seen the HS10, great picture and not as noisy as I anticipated. If in stock would of walked out with it, but not till late next week.Now I have been reading previous threads might buy the VW12 at £3000.

Please is there any owners out there to say how happy they are and that it is £1000 better than HS10.

Or Messiah if the toshiba is as good as you are saying lets spend £4000 each and get the pj and stop thinking so much.

Wont mind spending £4000 on pj but the BIG question "are the differences in picture quality worth these price increases?"

Hear from you soon

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Messiah,

For goodness sake, put us all out of our misery and BUY A NEW PROJECTOR !!!!!:D - The suspense is killing !!

Following these threads with interest and continuing to resist upgrade-itis myself, Neil. :smashin:

The 12HT has gotten some very good reviews, but would you think of taking the Z1, and sitting it out until Sony's next generation PJs come to market ? the new technology (Sony's take on DILA, IIRC) should bring mainstream LCDs to a step-change in performance, particularly from the resolution and black levels point of view.

Regards,

Sean.

EDIT: Super screenshots!

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hee hee! It's killing me as much as anyone else. The idea of sticking with the Z1 until SXRD comes out is tempting but I reckon Sony will price it very highly £6-£7k + for the first couple of years on a par with XV10000, VP12S2 etc. Maybe even higher if it delivers what they are claiming.

I am therefore more tempted to buy a VW12 at around £2600-£2900. Only problem is when I sell that to upgrade I guarantee I'd lose more than the price of the Z1. Nice picture though. If the new TW100 was available in the UK now my mind would be made up which is another reason I am tempted by the VW12 as it has very similar specs.

Anyone any news on the new TW100? Oh yeah, and uh, blame Epson not me for the suspense. I was happy with my second hand TW100.......

13. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Messiah, I'm in the same boat as stereogeezer. I've been looking for someone to lend me a projector for a home demo for ages but no-one seems very willing. Could you please tell us who lent it to you? These people seem like the type I need to give a call. Why can't all dealers be like this when we are spending a large amount of cash?

Thanks.:cool:

14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    It's the same company that has been recommended by many for the purchase of an AE300. www.nexnix.co.uk It's not totally FOC as I've had to pay postage both ways but still way cheaper than making a choice mistake.

15. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    6-7 months on, and I'm still really pleased with my Z1.

Messiah, totally agree with you on the DLP/LCD front, having owned both types of PJ, and having viewed various different models, I couldn't go back to DLP now unless all those horrible artefacts I used to see were sorted (rainbows never bothered me, but ugh.....artefacts:mad: )

Great screenies btw:)

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hey all

I have to say that the DVD performance of this little beauty is quite astonishing. However, as posted this morning Sky leaves quite a lot to be desired and I know the poor picture is not all down to Sky. I've had it way better on my CRT, TW100 and MT8.

So, tonight I connecetd my Quadscan Pro set to XGA or DoubleTV vis VGA to the Z1 and the difference is quite fantastic. It cleans up the image incredibly well, smooths the colours and removes all the slight jittering that I was noticing without it. Considering you can pick up a QS Pro for well under £500 it is, IMO, a worthy investment. I will stress though that for DVD the difference is negligible (well, on the Superbit version of Fifth Element anyway).

I would never have thought that a £1200 pj could look this good, and I've seen a few. Based on this I'm thinking that if this looks this good then a VW12 should be several factors better and a worthy purchase at quite a bit under £3k. And yes, this evenings watching has confirmed that I do prefer LCD to DLP. So I guess there's life in the 'old' technology yet :)

17. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am definarely buying the sony 12HT now but a few questions to help when I get it and choose right screen size.
    1. My pj will only be 2.8 m away from screen and the features say the image will be 80" diagonal , how will I work out the width of the screen from this to buy one?
    2. It also says that you can buy a short throw lens for small rooms to increase picture size, where can I get this and how much?
    3. On the back of my sky digi box (panasonic) there is a connection there like of acomputer saying RS 232C will this be a connector to a pj or do you use something else for sky? (no s-video) it is not sky+

I hope you can help me with these questions,

Cheers

18. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Gadjet

A little bit of maths using the 16:9 ratios will give you the horizontal and vertical sizes. 80" diagonal is actually 70" horizontal screen size. Just make sure when you order a screen that you specify the size you give is either diagonal or horizontal. Screens do come in standard sizes though dependant upon manufacturer (unless you pay an arm and a leg for a custom made one or build your own fixed screen to your exact requirements at a fraction of the cost of a bought one :) )

Typical screen sizes for someone like Draper are

69” diagonal = 33.75” high x 60” wide

83” diagonal = 40.5” high x 72” wide

92” diagonal = 45” high x 80” wide

106” diagonal = 52” high x 92” wide

I guess any authorised Sony dealer could order a lens for you but bear in mind they cost about £1000 (Ouch!)

As to connection of your Sky box you can do it in a number of ways.

1. Get a SCART to S-Video and audio phono lead and feed the S-Video cable and audio (red and white) phono connectors into your amp (assuming the SCART outputs S-Video)

2. Get an RGB to S-Video or component convertor box (from www.rgb2svideo.com or others) and take the output from that box to your amp and take the audio direct from the red and white connectors on the digibox to your amp directly

My advice would be to keep the signal in ashigh a quality as possible in the order (best to worst) - component, RGB, s-video, composite.

Or of course you could always get Sky+ which gives you S-Video direct from the box. Or a Grundig Sky box which I believe also have S-Video outputs.

Which of the above you use really depends upon the capability of your video switcher (amp?) and how you intend connecting that to the pj.

HTH

19. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Gadjet,

If our good friend Pythagoras got it right, (Square on the hypotenuse etc., and we're dealing with a 16:9 screen means that the diagonal of a 16x9 screen = sqrt of 16^2 + 9^2 = 18.36, 80/18.36 = 4.36, 16*4.36 = 69.76 ), then an 80' diagonal screen should be 69.76' wide (or thereabouts!).

Shorththrow lens for a HS10 is very costly (Kramer ???) and is likely to be the same for a 12HT - try asking Sony, Google is your friend.

RS232C is used for computer control (or more likely updating) your SKY box, it won't output a vga signal - see Messiah's post above yours for getting improved picture quality from SKY.

Good luck, be sure to tell us about the 12HT when you take the great leap !

All the best,

Sean G.

EDIT: Ar$e !! post crossed with Messiah.........:zonked:

20. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thank you for your time theritz, wish it was tomorrow!

21. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Messiah were is the cheapest place you have found for the 12.
    Thanks.

22. DRulz

DRulz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to get the Z2... was curious to know if it may exhibit vertical banding and screendoor....

The Benq 8700 is just way too expensive...

Thanks!

Jason

23. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    messiah, dont know if this helps but Ive been disappointed with sky on my Z2. But I bought a DVD recorder that regardless of what you put in can output in componant with PAL progressive (or Svid/RGB if you prefer). I was watching using a scart to VGA/DVI before and there is a discernable difference moving to componant. A drastic measure but if your looking to move into the DVDR/HDD arena this may help

24. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Wow, this thread is so old now. I moved on from the Z2 within 24 hours and have had several different pjs since. (Now got the S3). Thanks anyway for your comments. Glad you're pleased with yours.