1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by oaklandraiders, Feb 9, 2003.

1. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

I;m up to about 75 hours and suddenly in the upper right area(proj is upside down) there are a series of halos, about 2 inchs in diameter, greenish color, only visible on no show and very dark screens.
    I dont think its dead pixels, its like when headlights shine into camera lens and that reflecting thing happens. I've given it a good blow but no difference.

Any ideas.

Thanks

John

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi oaklandraiders,

Sounds like dust blobs to me - def not dead/stuck pixels. When you say you've given it a good blow, what do you mean ? Usual solution is to remove cover and blow compressed air into the optics - given that you're PJ is pretty new, I'd be inclined to get Sanyo service to deal with it. If you open the PJ you'll prob invalidate the warranty.

Cheers,

Sean G.

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    Hi

If you completely defocus the projector and the blobs come into sharp focus then they are definitely being caused by dust.

You would need to contact your dealer / Sanyo to have this sorted.

Mine is up to 90 hours now and no dust - fingers crossed!

Steve

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've got a dust blob which turns into a nice sharp green point when the Z1 is defocussed. It appeared very quickly, after about 1-2 hours use.
    It's upto about 30hrs now and I haven't got any more.

I was wondering if it's a rogue bit of dust from manufacture and if I should get the PJ serviced now or wait a bit?

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi again,

there's a degree of discussion over on avsforum about dust blobs and the Z1 - its by no means a unique problem, I've got on or two on an AE100 (now at 600 hrs or thee abouts), visible only on an all grey image. They don't show up in normal viewing as far as I can see. It's one of the things that I'm happy to ignore for now. I've seen some opinion that they are most likely to come from dust escaping from the filter at cleaning time - I assume that most newer Z1 owners won't have cleaned the filter as yet, so it could be dust from manufacture stage, or the filter is not sufficiently effective at trapping dust. I've also seen accounts on avsforum of a Z1 owner supplementing the filter with air-conditioning filter material - might be worth reading up and considering, if it really causes you a problem.

All the best,

Sean G.

6. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo

Must be dust then, but now another has appeared a bit lower and smaller with a blueish tint.
    On any film which is dark, you can see it all the time, very distracting. Going to ring Nexnix monday to see what they say.

John

7. Jim v2.0

Jim v2.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got dust blobs in my Z1 within a week of buying it. Returned it (via Av-Sales) with no hasstel at all and got a replacement. Sanyo's distributors spent 2 days testing the replacement to see if the dust problem was a manufacturing issue. They then boxed it up and corriered it to me. I've had the replacement for three weeks and have held back putting it on the ceiling in case the same thing happened again. Put it up last week and bugger me if a dust blob didn't appear within a day! Next day it dissapeared again! This was a relief as it was substantially bigger than the original ones which let to the replacement being requested!

My only worry about all these threads recommending cleaning is that you're going to introduce more dust into the optics by opening the projector up in a normal room than was there in the first place. As soon as you power the thing back up, you're probably twice as likely to suffer a blob due to contaminating the optics whilst cleaning them!!

I don't know if the Z1 is more or less prone to this problem when cieling mounted as the vents are on the bottom of the projector (and therefore on top when inverted)?

8. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo Jim

Was it the same description, kinda like ourta focus searchlight, reflection thing, green or blue ?

John

9. Jim v2.0

Jim v2.0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. Blanked the sceen, de-focus and there she was. My mate had the same problem (he's on his third z1 now, but loves it so much, he doesn't want to change to another projector, again Av-Sales organised both replacements without any problems)