1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 picture dissapears

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by TheBigApple, Dec 26, 2003.

1. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not a major problem but if anyone can help I would be greatful.

Whilst watching some programmes or films which have a scene of bright white the picture dissapears and then comes back.

e.g. the titles to Samurai Jack when he looks up to the sky to see the flying cars, a sword slashes down and produces a bright white effect. Or Black Hawk Down which has many scene changes with a fade to white.

This only happens when watching from Sky+ digibox. I have viewed the same scenes on DVD and the problem does not happen.

Connection used is component via a JS Technology RGB to Component box.

In the Z1 menu I have set video mode to component rather than auto.

Any advice welcome.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd imagine this is where your problem lies :rolleyes:

3. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is that a guess or are you aware of specific problems with these devices, and what is an alternitive soloution?

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Can you connect the digibox to a different input? If it only does it when going via the JS box, then you'll know for sure.

Gary.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The Sanyo PLV-30 had a similar problem.

Connecting from iScan via prog component caused the projector to lose sync when there were bright flashes on screen. Fifth Element - Leeloo falling into the Taxi - caused this every time. The projector muted to blue. The same scene via non-progressive connection played fine.

I believe Sanyo came up with a fix for the PLV-30s. Perhaps they need to look at his again for the Z1s? Contact your dealer and have them speak with Sanyo or their distributor.

Regards

6. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Problem solved, now need soloution.

After going way back on some old threads I noticed some comments by Dr John Sim that scart switchers can sometimes loose signal strength due to their poor build quality.

As I have all my sources running via a Holdan scart router I eliminated this and connected the Sky+ box directly to the J.S. RGB-component box and the problem has dissapeared.

I've since been looking around for a professional scart switcher that takes four inputs, but have only found one which is the Keene scart commander.

http://www.syncblaster.com/Scart_Commander.html

However I don't really want to have to spend more money to find out it has the same problem as the Holdan. So if anyone has one of these, any comments on it's performance would be appreciated.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    E-Mail Keene and ask, is the logical answer. Remember that you can send anything like this back if ordered over the internet, within 7 days I think. This is cosumer rights now so you can even try it. :)

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incorrect :p

Goods returned under the distance selling regulations must be unused/as new/resaleable as new. It not a "try it at home" deal.

That said, I'm sure they'd accept a return if it wasn't suitable. Just call them before ordering.

Play are doing (well, not in stock yet) a switcher, remote controlled, "boosted" etc.

Have a look in hardware special offers for the link.

:smoke:

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  10. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    That looks like a good peice of kit.

On the original problem I have received an e-mail back from Keene stating that Holdan have identified a problem with the scart router which is causing it to go out of sync, and are working on a fix for it at the moment.

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    there are a few reports of similar things with both Z1 and Z2

ad

12. Fat Arnie

Fat Arnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting the same problem using SVideo out on Sky+ and upconverting to Component into a Z1. The Upconvert is done by a Sony DA5000ES receiver.

The problem also occurs thoug if you run SVideo from the amp to the projector!!!!

It never happens with DVD either suing Svideo or Component through the amp.

Sounds like either Sky+ boxes have a problem OR the Z1's have a design issue.....

13. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
    Raising another dead thread, i wonder if i should post my query with a proper title...?

Save me 30 seconds, but i'm months too late... seems to be out of stock or discontinued most places, is there something new out? And does it do component if i do find one?

Actually i was hoping to find a 3 or 4 input and 2 output switch, but they seem very uncommon. If i could get one then i can feed everything into the box, and spit one cable to the PJ one to the TV. Is this really so unreasonable?

I found this one: http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/prod...ideo+-+Selector+Switches&product_id=AV0454466 but no scart, and it dosent specifically say it does component in/out which would be a must. Anyone tried one?