1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 or a Z2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bonzaimaster, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been offered a Z1 for £640 or a Z2 for £1016.

My main uses will be Sky Digital, DVD and XBOX. I am aware of the differences in technical spec but practically speaking, will I notice a difference of £400 in the picture? I know this is very subjective, but your views would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have had a Z2 since launch and have demoed the Z1 in the past and imho the Z2 is worth the extra. If not for any other reason other than you will probably keep it longer than the Z1 prior to upgrading it. If you spend any time in this forum over the next few years you will catch 'upgraditis' and therefore will be able to shift the Z2 easily in comparison to the Z1. :)

Just my penny's worth,

Sanj

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Ok, an other viewpoint.

As this is you first is it worth spending too much on your first ourchace. If you get into watching films etc on a big screen you will soon want to upgrade to possibly DLP so I would buy the £640 Z1 and I recon loose less money on resale

4. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    good prices on both of them, where u getting them from?

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Z1 is a true value for money machine and if fed with a good signal it's sure to please. Plus, you WILL (if you get the bug) want to upgrade significantly in the future. Z1 to Z2 is not significant in my book. I have the Z1 and I use it perhaps once per 2 weeks for dvds I will upgrade in the future to a DLP. So perhaps either demo both and decide for yourself OR go the budget route to get your foot on the ladder! :thumbsup:

6. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you use it with a PC or your xbox with the high def pack there is a significant improvement because of the higher resolution of the Z2. Trust me if you have seen an xbox game running in 720p, you wont disagree with this.

But there is something to be said about the entry level Z1 and price. £600 is cheap for a new projector. If its only for occasional use might be worth keeping the money.

Personally I use mine for a couple of hours most nights so worth getting the best within my budget.

7. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point about the hi-res on the XBOX. The DVI input on the Z2 may also be of interest. Are there many DVD player that have a digital output yet?

I also noticed the ivojo.co.uk have reduced their price of the Z2 to £899 + vat.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No and dont touch the budget ones with a barge pole. I bought a cheap one and had nothing but problems with it. If you want best quality by DVI go the PC route.

9. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Or buy a scaller ;)

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yes. As you know I have been considering this. But again it comes back to the question of spending the extra on a better projector. Which is the better option ?

I had exactly the same decision to make when I got my projector. ae500 or ae300. It was the same sort of price difference (About £300). I got the ae500. I think spending the extra is worthwhile even at this level. But its all down to personal opinion. However plenty of other people obviously think the same as many traded up from a Z1 to a Z2 when it was released.

The only other factor I would consider is that the Z2 is probably midlife right now. Maybe the Z3 will be available in 6 months or so.....

11. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided. I'm buying a Z2. The XBOX hi def pitch convinced me. Also the MS Media Player 9 Hi Def functionality also interests me with a Windows Media Centre.

The price was £840 + vat (including 3 year on site warranty) for a ex-demo unit with 75 hours on the clock (from www.nexnix.co.uk ).

12. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Glad you found it useful. Seriously though get a copy of Freedom Fighters if you dont already have it. Wait till you see what 720p looks like on your PJ. Then look at your bog standard game. No way back for me.

13. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How have you connected your Xbox to your PJ? Did you buy the MS Hi Def pack? Also, as my projector is going to be 15+ ft from the Xbox, can I use standard phono extensions for the component cable?

14. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yep MS High def pack is the way to go £20 from Lik Sang. Using standard phono extensions for the component cable is really not recommended.

It may work but will certainly affect the quality in my opinion, they are just not meant for extending component leads.

Try http://www.tvcables.co.uk/. Decent leads at reasonable prices.

15. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My considering one of these from eBay as I already have a 30ft 'high' quality component cable.

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It looks like a nice little toy. However will the xbox when set to NTSC activate the HD menu when this thing is plugged in ?

I dont know the answer to this. You will need to ask the guy selling it the question. He might not know. In which case it might be worth trying it. Its not going to cost you more than £20.

A word of warning. Its doing alot for not alot of money. Cheap as chips dosnt mean crap but when it comes to connectivity like this and you are using a projector poor connections can really let the side down.

Just my opinion. For £20 I would give it a try anyway you can always sell it again on ebay for what you paid for it !