1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 Light blob on dark images

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rfraser, May 8, 2003.

1. rfraser

rfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new Sanyo Z1 projector which is a couple of months old.
    On dark images - or when the "no show" button is pressed, a circular blob of slightly lighter area (with a greenish tint) is visible on the screen. This is static and about 5 inches in diameter - the screen is 6 foot in width.
    (located to right of screen about 1/3 of distance from bottom.
    The appearance of this has occurred subsequent to initial use.
    Can anyone explain what might be causing this.

2. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I new to this but have read things like this before, i think it might be a dust blob :(
    i might be wrong but thats what it sounds like.

3. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exactly the same thing, except my blob is blue. I'm assuming that it is a dust blob as well - though I'm a little confused that it only shows on dark images. At the moment, it's not noticable enough for me to open the PJ up or get Sanyo to service it - but if you decide to do something about it, I would be very interested to hear of your experiences.

Cheers,

_

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    sounds like dust if its green its on the green panel and if its blue its on the blue panel. I dont know how easy it is to clean the panels on a z1 but i have cleaned them twice on my ptae100 and its very easy to do and only toook 10 mins

5. Amrik

Amrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    underscore..
    Exactly same problem as yours on my Z1...only about 30hrs use!

6. rfraser

rfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found some info from a chap who'd cleaned his Z1.
    I followed his instructions (having worked up the nerve to do it and having got really fed up with the blob!)
    I removed the 6 screws on the underside of the case, then, having turned the projector right way up, removed the top cover.
    Behind the lens there are 3 rectangular openings. Each of these has a gold ribbon cable across the top. This is where the lcd panels are located.
    I used an air duster (Kenair Air Dust Kit bought from Jessops for £10.99 - basically just an aerosel of compressed air with valve) to remove the dust. I put the projector on its side near the edge of the table. This allowed me to keep the air can upright (essential). I then blasted air into each of the openings. Afterwards I reassembled the case.
    In fact I had to do this twice. It did not work the first time. The second time I was less hesitent and sprayed the air for longer, with the outlet closer to the lcd panels. The blob is now gone.
    The whole proces takes about 15 minutes.
    Do not mark the screws and it should not be obvious the case was ever opened (avoiding warrenty problems).

7. rfraser

rfraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I have got attaching a file correct this is a picture of the projector with the case off. Note that there is a cable running from the main circuit board to the controls on the lid (be careful not to stress).

Attached Files: