1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo Z1 hidden option?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scfcmatt, Jul 15, 2003.

1. scfcmatt

scfcmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if any of you good folks can help me out with this one.

I have a Sanyo Z1 which as a first timer I must say I'm very impressed with. One problem though, There's one blue pixel stuck on full. It's in the lower right hand corner of the screen so it's not too annoying. Now, most DVDs I watch are in the 2.35:1 ratio, so I get black borders top and bottom of the screen, which also means the blue pixel is closer to the bottom of the image displayed. Is there a hidden option where I could shift the image up thus moving the blue pixel out of the image and into the bottom black border?, an altogether less annoying place for it to live.

Cheers.

Matt

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Hi

The blue pixel is physically present in that particular location on the panel. There is nothing you can do to move it around at all.

Sorry!

Steve

3. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    There is one thing you could do...

What about painting a black dot (or sticking a black sticker) on your projection surface in the location of the stuck pixel.

You would then have a "dead" pixel instead which is probably much less invasive (especially with the 2.35:1 stuff)

Steve

4. scfcmatt

scfcmatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Steve, I'll give that black dot idea a go and see what it looks like compared with my bright blue one.

What I was getting at with moving the image though, was trying to get the projector to put it's black pixel border it uses for 2.35:1 films more at the bottom of the panel than the top. The film image would then be using a higher part of the 16:9 panel rather than dead centre, I'm sure I read somewhere that the panny projectors allowed you to do this (image shift I think it was called).

Ta

Matt

5. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Hi

It is possible to manipulate the image using the service menu but this is a non-trivial change and it would of course compromise anything less wide than 2.35:1. I don't actually know whether it is possible to adjust the horizontal position though...

If you use an external scaler this would probably be possible though.

I've seen the black dot thing done - it works very well. The only thing is though it is only useful if your projector is firmly and solidly mounted!

Steve

6. Mr Pink

Mr Pink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt

You have a Z1 don't you! Can't you just use the lense shift to move the image down slightly so the offending pixel is off the screen? Then when viewing 16:9 material you simply scroll the lense back up to the centre of the screen.

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Hi

If the Z1 is ceiling mounted, the lens shift is already at its absolute lower maximum.

Steve

8. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Won't make a jot of difference anyway as you'd just be moving the whole picture up and down, the offending pixel and all.

Cheers,
    Cal.

9. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Mr Pinks suggestion was to move the picture down so that the stuck pixel was off the bottom of the screen.

This would - of course - move the rest of the image down as well but if the decor in the room was dark, the blue pixel would no longer be visible.

10. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, get it now. You could always get some kind of black mask to put over the screen.

Trouble is, I'm sure you'd still see the picture overspill even if the wall is painted black. I'd find that more annoying than the stuck pixel.

Cheers,
    Cal.